Game Mechanics Midas Spawn Rate Boost

I couldn't think of a silly poll quip.

• This idea is worth its weight in gold!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Eh.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • This gold is for fools, and let me tell you why!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scironex

The Destroyer
Let me explain. The idea is that while you have an enemy on-screen that's inflicted with Midas, the spawn rate skews towards rare enemies. For example, in the HM Dungeon, The spawn rate of the varying skeletons would decrease, while the spawn rate of casters and ranged skeletons would moderately increase, and the spawn rate of Paladins would greatly increase. In theory, with enough on-screen Midas'd enemies, you could have the spawn rates of Paladins outstrip be equal to that of the angry bones. Midas would not actually increase overall spawns.

Here's an example:

Let's say that in the Dungeon brick walls, the spawn rates are as follows

Blue Armored Bones 70%
Necromancer 15%
Skeleton Commando 10%
Paladin 5%

(I'm pretty sure that the spawn rates are different, but bear with me.)
With one Midas'd enemy, the following would happen:

BA Bones 68% -2%
Necromancer 14% -1%
S. Commando 11% +1%
Paladin 7% +2%

As you can see, the most common enemy has distributed its spawn chance to that of the rarest. The second most common has given some of it to the second rarest. Note that the percent chance given is dependant on the number of possible monsters. If there were six, the most common would give 3% of it's chance to the rarest. If there were 2, it would give 1%.
"But what happens when a rare enemy outstrips a common one?"
Simple. The spawn modification proceeds using the new chances. Here.

This is the spawn rate of brick walls after 3 Midases.

BA Bones 64% -6%
Necromancer 12% -3%
S. Commando 13% +3%
Paladin 11% +6%

As you can see, S. Commandoes have surpassed Necromancers. This is the result after 4 Midases.

BA Bones 62% -8%
Necromancer 13% -2%
S. Commando 12% +2%
Paladin 13% + 8%

"But now the Paladin and Necromancer are tied!"
Here's where it gets interesting. Let's reorder the enemies by rarity.

BA Bones 62% -8%
Necromancer 13% -2%
Paladin 13% +8%
S. Commando 12% +2%

Now let's apply another Midas. (Bringing our total to 5 Midas'd enemies.)

BA Bones 60% -10%
Necromancer 13% -2%
Paladin 13% +8%
S. Commando 14% +4%

Here, since the Necromancer and Paladin are the same value, and the second most and least common, respectively, their values did not change. But let's bring it up to 6 Midases.
Once again, ordered by rarity:

BA Bones 60%
S. Commando 14%
Necromancer 13%
Paladin 13%

BA Bones 58% -12%
S. Commando 13% +3%
Necromancer 14% -1%
Paladin 15% +10%

As you can see, the monsters are steadily traveling towards equal chances of spawning. This would greatly lower the time it takes for grinding, and give Midas an effect that isn't rendered moot by Jellyfish Statues. (If I'm being fair, Midas is very useful when boss farming, as the cash boost is amplified by the bosses' large base cash value.)

Comments and Criticism are welcome.

Last edited:
Wierd... But Ok! Support! Although can you supply any formula for this?
I don't know how the base formula works. I have to be somewhere soon, but when I get back, I'll see if I can find it, and implement it with this idea in mind.

I don't know how the base formula works. I have to be somewhere soon, but when I get back, I'll see if I can find it, and implement it with this idea in mind.
I can't find what the base chances of any specific enemy spawning are. I'll give some example chances, and the way that the spawn difference would work.

To my knowledge, chances in terraria are done with tables, i.e. paladins have two drops, so supposing both are at 5%, their loot table would have 5 slots with the shield, 5 slots with the hammer, and 90 slots that drop nothing. I believe enemy spawns work the same way, so this wouldn't work exactly as you are thinking. It would probably work to have it replace common enemies on a table with rarer ones.

I'm rambling. Anyway, this is a pretty good idea, but it may make some things far too easy to get. I guess spawning paladins as commonly as armored bones would be fairly dangerous, and therefore some convoluted form of balanced.

...support?

I'm rambling. Anyway, this is a pretty good idea, but it may make some things far too easy to get. I guess spawning paladins as commonly as armored bones would be fairly dangerous, and therefore some convoluted form of balanced.
Oh, yeah, and to get a really rare enemy to spawn really commonly, you'd have to have a lot of Midas'd enemies.

Back
Top Bottom