Game Mechanics "Min-Maxed" achievement

This wouldn't really help players with numerous characters. That's also not what a min/max is.

Min-maxing is a technique used in video games where the player buikds into specific stats, while completely neglecting, or if possible, decreasing other stats. For example, a player may have a score of 14 in Strength, but a 0 in Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck. That player is min-maxing strength.

I like the idea of an achievement tied to this, but I think the name should be changed. Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions currently on new potential names.

This wouldn't really help players with numerous characters. That's also not what a min/max is.

Min-maxing is a technique used in video games where the player buikds into specific stats, while completely neglecting, or if possible, decreasing other stats. For example, a player may have a score of 14 in Strength, but a 0 in Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck. That player is min-maxing strength.

I like the idea of an achievement tied to this, but I think the name should be changed. Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions currently on new potential names.
more to teach the player what all the buffs are, once you get the achievement once now you know wat all the buffs are for your subsequent characters

more to teach the player what all the buffs are, once you get the achievement once now you know wat all the buffs are for your subsequent characters
Right, no I understand the purpose, my issue is just with the achievement name having nothing to do with the actual achievement.
By all means, it's your suggestion, do with it what you will. I was just suggesting a name change for the achievement.

Right, no I understand the purpose, my issue is just with the achievement name having nothing to do with the actual achievement.
By all means, it's your suggestion, do with it what you will. I was just suggesting a name change for the achievement.
i always thought it just means to like optimize urself lol, wat does min max actually mean?

i always thought it just means to like optimize urself lol, wat does min max actually mean?
Well, it does mean that, but in a specific direction, not just in general. For example, getting all perma buffs would not be min-maxing, as they all do diferent things. It would more so just simply be maxing.

To further this; in the context of Terraria, an example of min-maxing could be a melee build, where absolutely nothing is equipped that doesn't boost melee damage. That player could then be considered min-maxing melee, rather than just playing the melee class.

Dictionary dot com (<-not going to link it, you'll have to google), defines min-maxing as;
"(in a video game or role-playing game) to optimize (a character) by assigning all, or nearly all, skill points to the ability essential to that character’s success in a specified role and environment, and no points to other skills, rather than distributing skill points more evenly across attributes."

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure min maxing is short of minimising your weaknesses and maximising your strengths
You're thinking of the term "optimizing;" Minmaxing means lowering every other stat as low as it is allowed in order to maximize one specific attribute. The term is more applicable to other RPGs with stat points, rather than accessory slots and armor bonuses like Terraria has, but the term can still work.

In those games, you get a set number of stat points when you level up, which you can invest into strength, intelligence, constitution, etc. Minmaxing means minimizing all the other stats so you can put as many points as available into a single one.

Last edited:
an achievement for using all the shimmer permanent buffs on one character, so its easier for the player to know when they have gotten all of them
I like the achivement idea but, as everyone pointed out already, minmaxing is something entirely different. I want to suggest an alternate name. Since it's Shimmer-themed, how about "All That Glitters Is Gold" (reference to a line in Smash Mouth's All Star)

Back
Top Bottom