• PC NEWS: 1.4.2.3 update is out! More info here. Report bugs here
  • CONSOLE 1.4 LAUNCHES SEP 30: The official launch date for Journey's End to arrive on Xbox and PlayStation is September 30th! Click here for more info. The plan is to have the update on Switch out later this year. Stay up to date with console news here.
  • MOBILE NEWS: Stay up to date with the latest mobile news here. Report mobile bugs here

Console Mods for Console Terarria When?

Which would you prefer to be add ons for switch?

• Calamity

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Thorium

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Unit One

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Unit One is there any possibility that there will be nods on nintendo switch, because I don't want to buy a pc :D, I really want to play mods
Loki has already answered a very similar question: Terraria State of the Game - January 2021

Read the entirety of Loki’s post, but part of the message includes, “there is precious small chance to get modding going on all other platforms” and “Modded = PC Only, barring some future state where that changes.”

salad_den

Skeletron Prime
@Unit One is there any possibility that there will be nods on nintendo switch, because I don't want to buy a pc :D, I really want to play mods
while discussing the act of homebrewing for consoles would be off topic and might violate the forums TOS, the current only way you could ever possibly see mods for terraria is through the homebrew scene (hacking your switch to allow unauthorized applications / unsigned code to run on the system) and that is something pretty risky to do and is a legally grey area and would break the EULA (End User License Agreement) you "agreed" to when buying your switch.
I will stand against homebrewing here as this is a serious and risky thing to do to a 300+ device which requires a rigorous understanding of the consequences and prosses of such an action. Doing that just so you can play mods (which would have to be custom built for the switch version anyway) is too much risk for that one reward.

while discussing the act of homebrewing for consoles would be off topic and might violate the forums TOS, the current only way you could ever possibly see mods for terraria is through the homebrew scene (hacking your switch to allow unauthorized applications / unsigned code to run on the system) and that is something pretty risky to do and is a legally grey area and would break the EULA (End User License Agreement) you "agreed" to when buying your switch.
I will stand against homebrewing here as this is a serious and risky thing to do to a 300+ device which requires a rigorous understanding of the consequences and prosses of such an action. Doing that just so you can play mods (which would have to be custom built for the switch version anyway) is too much risk for that one reward.
I was asking and admin of there was any chance. So I don't think discussing it breaks the rules

Will man

Terrarian
I'm sure you know what I mean like how in fallout 4,Skyrim ,ect... They have a mod installer in them,like a hub.It will make it a larger game but not much unless you install everything.I'm sure you can do that,or publish free DLCs,for only big mods of course. Maybe an option would be to ask Microsoft,because I would hate for it to be cross platform and not have mods,you know?Also there are already mods for android "they come with free viruses too."

Unit One

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure you know what I mean like how in fallout 4,Skyrim ,ect... They have a mod installer in them,like a hub.It will make it a larger game but not much unless you install everything.I'm sure you can do that,or publish free DLCs,for only big mods of course. Maybe an option would be to ask Microsoft,because I would hate for it to be cross platform and not have mods,you know?Also there are already mods for android "they come with free viruses too."
Hi there @Will man I moved your post into this already existing thread for a very similar topic.

Alextuxedo

Official Terrarian
NO, do you realize how much the game would be bloated if you had ALL of that installed? Just NO. I don't think you comprehend how much content and lack of complete disregard for balance that combination has.
Oh yeah, ive got most of that stuff installed and more and I love playing it personally. I use 64 bit tmod btw

salableyew2

Terrarian
If there would be a way to mod on console, would there be tmod loader or a different type of software we could use for it.

salad_den

Skeletron Prime
It's going to be super complicated as your going to first get homebrew running and then probably do everything else yourself as I have no knowledge of existing modding efforts for any port of terraria

Even if you can homebrew your console (you shouldn’t) you would have to find a way to pull mods from the internet and allow your game to appropriately read and apply them. Such files do not exist because no one bothers to make them.

Calen

Skeletron Prime
If there were to be a way of modding on console Terraria, it would have to be part of the app itself - in the same way that FO4 or ESV:Skyrim do.

However, getting permission from Sony/Microsoft is very unlikely and any modding that they might allow would be very restricted. For example, both those games do not allow mods to add new assets (graphics, sound, models etc), only modify ones that already exist in them. So you could modify a 10mm pistol that already exists in the game to fire mininukes in FO4, but you couldn't make an entirely new weapon with new models and graphics.

Homebrew is strictly forbidden by Sony (and I assume Microsoft - never had a XBox so I'm not sure) and having a modified PS4 will likely result in getting hit with the Ban Hammer and your console being network banned. I'm pretty sure discussing console homebrewing isn't allowed on this forum so the less said the better.

In short - unless the developers reach a deal with MS/Sony it won't happen, and even if it does it wouldn't be the same as PC.

MatanB

Terrarian
It's a shame that terraria don't let tmodloader coming to the consoles(ps4/ps5/Xbox) in the coming update "journey ends" but allows play cross platform the biggest companies need to learn from games like skyrim the mod browser only will make the game more popular on the consoles.

Top Bottom