Weapons & Equip More wire cutters!

ZemmySix

Retinazer
The title is kind of self-explanatory, there should be more wire cutters. This would allow you to only destroy green wire with a green wire cutter, saving time. Also more wrenches would be cool such as yellow and purple allowing for more complex junctions.

Examples of new wire cutters:
Wire_Cutter.png g.png i.png

Last edited:
I don't really see the point. If you want to only destroy green wire, then only cut green wire. If 2 colors happen to be on top of each other, you can easily just replace the one you didnt want to cut.

As for more wrench colors: first of all elaborate. What colors? Would they have different abilities that the previous colors didnt? If its just more colors, I personally think 3 is enough.

Sorry, but no support.

I don't really see the point. If you want to only destroy green wire, then only cut green wire. If 2 colors happen to be on top of each other, you can easily just replace the one you didnt want to cut.

As for more wrench colors: first of all elaborate. What colors? Would they have different abilities that the previous colors didnt? If its just more colors, I personally think 3 is enough.

Sorry, but no support.

I don't know man- "easily" is context based. I make entire trap arenas for battles and stuff with friends and foe alike and having to replace wire I didn't want to cut is annoying. I can see a lot of situations where more color of wire would be nice as well. I think it's just personal preference/ how much you use wire for.

Example:
I want my wiring of my house to be a specific color, vs my teleporters, vs mechnisms, vs what I use for house defenses, etc. You get my point, it allows more personalization and helps to organize what you're doing. As for the different colored cutters I see a lot of benefit because if you have a lot of wire to cut; in a row for example such as for traps or farms and you don't want to cut the wire under it you have to be a little more cautious or you have to switch back and forth every miss click, if you had a wire cutter that only cut a specific color of wire then that would allow you to clear out the other color faster without worrying about cutting other wire.
-----------------------------------------------------------
All in all, personally I support this idea.

Suffice to say, if one has EVER made a contraption that required a lot of wires to overlap (happens quite often when one is trying to make said contraption compact), and you have to re-wire ONE aspect of it, having to cut down up to 3x the wire needed and then replacing ~2/3 of that wire plus the wiring for the circuit you originally wanted to mod... It gets irritating (yes, I've done it...)

There IS a priority system in place for wire cutters:
  1. Actuators (First)
  2. Green wire
  3. Blue wire
  4. Red wire (Last)
This will either work for or against you depending on what you want accomplished. (On a side note: I dislike the color priority level of wire being RBG. I being a tech nut and Terraria being a videogame, the order should've been RGB...)

I just wish there was a more simple (read: compact) way of laying down and cutting specific wire colors instead of needing a tool set for each wire color. It's bad enough with needing 4 slots currently, but 6 is a lot. Maybe just implement hotkeys for wiring: F5-F7 will select the wire color. Tools will change color accordingly to reflect the current selection. F8 will be a "Cut All" option for the wire cutter if a player plans to take down any an all wire in an area (e.g. wire harvesting in the Temple.) <<< This is to correct the problem of having ONLY color-specific wire cutters: Completely taking down a contraption will be more tedious than needed. (Or maybe simply using Auto-Cursor mode will set the wire cutter to Cut All mode.)

Thoughts/feedback?

I don't see why not, but I also don't think that it's worth the trouble to implement. If you don't like cutting through and replacing multiple layers just to remove one, the easy solution is to not stack wires. Rarely do contraptions require layering multiple layers of wire on top of each other, and rarer still are the situations where you want to remove just one kind of wire from it.

Even in those situations, you still only ever have to remove one layer of wire. Say you have a switch wired to a bunch of red wire buried underneath a pile of blue and green wires. You want to get rid of the red part of the contraption, but instead of getting rid of the red part of the contraption, you can just get rid of the green part on top and rig the wiring so that the red wires go where the green one where, and then get rid of any unwanted red connections.

All you have to do is be smart about your wiring.

All you have to do is be smart about your wiring.
Honestly, THAT is the problem. You can only get smart about wiring if you do it often enough. Honestly, there have been times where I gave up because I was tired of having re-place wiring while I was testing stuff out. Unless you're gung-ho about it, wiring can actually be more of a nuisance and annoyance in terms of high level usage.

If the repercussions for bad wiring aren't as tedious, players might be more willing to try wiring more and get to the point where they can get more "smart" about wiring. Though on the flip side, if the repercussions for bad wiring weren't "severe" enough, there's little point for the need of "smart" wiring.

Also, some people do care heavily about aesthetics (even if you don't see wiring most of the time.) Personally, I do prefer neat, compact wiring jobs. Of course, I've learned to balance that against practicality giving how wiring is done in the game (hence this thread). I've done electrical/electronic bread-board work (school) and I'm the one that has to make the wiring on it neat (for several reasons). Others don't care more often than do, so their boards look a bit fugly. Obviously real-life logic and practices have little bearing on game mechanics, but human habits and all that.

This is mostly a minor quibble for me. Honestly, I'd much rather have faster methods of laying down and removing large runs of wire. Compact, intricate wiring work with lots of overlap is where colored wire cutters would be a huge benefit. I generally don't do that all that often. My major issue is how much of chore it is to lay down a world-wide teleporter network, even on a small world. (The most I have is a teleporter to get down to hell. Falling down there every time I was doing a WoF farming session was taking too long after a while :p )

Da heck?s dis 4 yo?

There is only one , wire cutter
There is only one wire cutter
Yes I'm singing to tell you that There is only one wire cuterrrrr in the land

Pece

I have not made a complex wiring system in my life, yet I was still able to figure all that out. I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there.
Not everyone is at the same level as you or me. Just because we can pick up things easily doesn't mean everyone else can. I've learned to try to not hold others to the same level as myself. Looking at others do the same online can easily came across as demeaning, insulting, patronizing, or belittling. (Yes, I have been guilty of this.)

Suffice to say, using yourself and only yourself as a standard doesn't work out well over the long run...

Anyway, I need to shut up. Getting off-topic...

Last edited:
I've done electrical/electronic bread-board work (school) and I'm the one that has to make the wiring on it neat (for several reasons).
That means you've done your share for wiring, hence you will notice Terraria's wiring is even simpler(too simple perhaps) than real life wiring. Things don't go bust when some idiot mixed up AC and DC, or put DC components in AC circuit(result = lots of smoke) and vice-versa.

People rarely feel the need for complex wiring. The crudest of farms can be run with one colored wire no problem. Linking the entire base's lighting isn't hard if you plan it carefully as well. Oh, this idea has its uses, but it will just be inventory cluster for most. What we really need is a smarter way of laying down wires. One cutter that fits all purposes is sufficient.

That means you've done your share for wiring, hence you will notice Terraria's wiring is even simpler(too simple perhaps) than real life wiring. Things don't go bust when some idiot mixed up AC and DC, or put DC components in AC circuit(result = lots of smoke) and vice-versa.

People rarely feel the need for complex wiring. The crudest of farms can be run with one colored wire no problem. Linking the entire base's lighting isn't hard if you plan it carefully as well. Oh, this idea has its uses, but it will just be inventory cluster for most. What we really need is a smarter way of laying down wires. One cutter that fits all purposes is sufficient.
True, Terraria wiring system is simple. On that same note, real life wiring has built in protections. First on is a 3rd dimension ^_^ Second is (usually) insulated wires. I can cross wires in reality without them magically cross-connecting (magnetic fields notwithstanding...)

It's not that I don't see the argument for not bothering with color-coded cutters. I see it quite well. It's just I can see the potential for them as well. The benefits may not be all that grand (fairly situational, I will admit), but they are there. I do agree with the inventory clutter aspect. Even the colored wrenches irk me. That was the reasoning for my idea of a hotkey system for wiring rather than individual tools for each wire color. (Honestly, keyboards have at least 80-something keys on them. There's little harm in giving more functions through them.)
I just wish there was a more simple (read: compact) way of laying down and cutting specific wire colors instead of needing a tool set for each wire color. It's bad enough with needing 4 slots currently, but 6 is a lot. Maybe just implement hotkeys for wiring: F5-F7 will select the wire color. Tools will change color accordingly to reflect the current selection. F8 will be a "Cut All" option for the wire cutter if a player plans to take down any an all wire in an area (e.g. wire harvesting in the Temple.) <<< This is to correct the problem of having ONLY color-specific wire cutters: Completely taking down a contraption will be more tedious than needed. (Or maybe simply using Auto-Cursor mode will set the wire cutter to Cut All mode.)

Back
Top Bottom