Mouse controls broken/disabled after 1.3.5 update (Ubuntu 14.04)

liamwilt

Spazmatism
Hello!

Straight into the issue - when I run Terraria through Steam, the mouse controls are initially disabled in favor of the game controller controls. This is evident by no mouse cursor or mouse functionality being available, as well as the controller button/legend being present in the lower left-hand side of the Terraria main menu. I found this odd as at no point previously, in any other version of the game, did Terraria run without recognizing my mouse as a mouse. Is it perhaps recognizing my mouse as the game controller instead?

In an attempt to remedy the issue, I navigated to settings --> controls by way of the 'wasd' keys to navigate and the 'space bar' to select (as a second oddity, those keys were the only keys working for those specific functions). Once there, I was able to 'wasd' myself over to the keyboard controls option. I selected it with the 'space bar'. I then used 'wasd' to move down to 'mousebutton1' and then clicked the left mouse button. At that time, the mouse cursor suddenly became visible. It could be moved around the screen and the game controller legend in the lower left-hand corner disappeared. It was an improvement, however, neither mousebutton was able to select anything. Additionally, all 'wasd' and 'space bar' functionality was gone. In the end, when ever I attempt this, I can only ever get to this point as after the mouse cursor is activated, no button is able to select anything, leaving me stuck in this section of the settings.

What in the world might be happening with this? Has this happened with anyone else?

Thank you for any help in the future!

I've seen numerous issues in the past where there were false positives on Gamepad detection (resulting in unwanted Gamepad UI), but I've never heard of any issues where a mouse completely failed to be detected and/or was detected as a Gamepad. Gamepad detection doesn't override K/M input, so I would hazard a guess its related to specific hardware.

I've seen numerous issues in the past where there were false positives on Gamepad detection (resulting in unwanted Gamepad UI), but I've never heard of any issues where a mouse completely failed to be detected and/or was detected as a Gamepad. Gamepad detection doesn't override K/M input, so I would hazard a guess its related to specific hardware.

Interesting. When you say specific hardware, are you referring to the internals of the machine, or even perhaps the mouse? Unfortunately no other game has experienced issues with any internal hardware, as far as I can observe, and the mouse has not experienced any sort of non-detection (or what ever is happening) issues with other programs or Steam applications. What piece of hardware would you think to investigate first if this were happening to your machine?

Interesting. When you say specific hardware, are you referring to the internals of the machine, or even perhaps the mouse? Unfortunately no other game has experienced issues with any internal hardware, as far as I can observe, and the mouse has not experienced any sort of non-detection (or what ever is happening) issues with other programs or Steam applications. What piece of hardware would you think to investigate first if this were happening to your machine?

In this case, I would mean the mouse or your computer/drivers.

While you haven't encountered this issue with other games, I haven't seen any reports of this happening with this game either. We have Linux testers on the team, and despite some other input issues with Linux, I haven't seen any other reports of what you've encountered. This indicates to me a specific conflict between the game and either your brand of mouse, or something with how your computer is handling the input from that mouse.

In this case, I would mean the mouse or your computer/drivers.

While you haven't encountered this issue with other games, I haven't seen any reports of this happening with this game either. We have Linux testers on the team, and despite some other input issues with Linux, I haven't seen any other reports of what you've encountered. This indicates to me a specific conflict between the game and either your brand of mouse, or something with how your computer is handling the input from that mouse.

Alright. I Checked into the issue a bit further and it seems that the mouse might not be an issue after all? I shut the laptop down, unplugged the mouse, powered back on, fired Steam up both with "steam" and "primusrun steam" while using the xorg opensource drivers (they worked just fine previously) and the issue persisted. Upon starting Terraria, in all conditions without a mouse plugged in, it still detected or, at the very least, presented me with a gamepad interface (the legend being displayed in the bottom left-hand side). I was still able to navigate to the settings, etc., via 'wasd', but the same outcome occurred where I was unable to navigate away from the keybindings menu after the trackpad became the new mouse controller and I was left unable to click anything.

I am not entirely certain how to proceed, which is a shame! I was looking forward to 1.3.5 and beyond. Those 2 cellphones didn't collect themselves :).

Do you have any further advice?

Thank you for reaching out!

I would say you'd have better luck in the tech support section. This sounds like less of a Terraria issue and more of a hardware issue to me.

I'll move this thread there.

My first suggestion is to delete the json files in the library for terraria, it contains mapped keys. Let terraria generate a new one, I have always been able to switch between controller/keyboard instantly with no missing inputs.

I am having this issue as well - I have tried deleting the json file, and reinstalling the game. The issue persists. The game worked fine before the 1.3.5 update. I am using Archlinux, currently with kernel version 4.11.5. I assumed this was being worked on, but I'm guessing the issue is mostly unknown/unreported. I have seen one other forum post with a Linux user experiencing this issue, and another post on the steam community.

Specifically, the mouse works, but the cursor does not show. After launching into a game, I do not see any menus, and the cursor stays focused upwards, never moving at that point. At the main menu, if i navigate to the keybindings settings, using wasd, and change a keybind, the cursor shows up, but then I cannot click on anything, and have to close the process.

Hello!

Straight into the issue - when I run Terraria through Steam, the mouse controls are initially disabled in favor of the game controller controls. This is evident by no mouse cursor or mouse functionality being available, as well as the controller button/legend being present in the lower left-hand side of the Terraria main menu. I found this odd as at no point previously, in any other version of the game, did Terraria run without recognizing my mouse as a mouse. Is it perhaps recognizing my mouse as the game controller instead?

In an attempt to remedy the issue, I navigated to settings --> controls by way of the 'wasd' keys to navigate and the 'space bar' to select (as a second oddity, those keys were the only keys working for those specific functions). Once there, I was able to 'wasd' myself over to the keyboard controls option. I selected it with the 'space bar'. I then used 'wasd' to move down to 'mousebutton1' and then clicked the left mouse button. At that time, the mouse cursor suddenly became visible. It could be moved around the screen and the game controller legend in the lower left-hand corner disappeared. It was an improvement, however, neither mousebutton was able to select anything. Additionally, all 'wasd' and 'space bar' functionality was gone. In the end, when ever I attempt this, I can only ever get to this point as after the mouse cursor is activated, no button is able to select anything, leaving me stuck in this section of the settings.

What in the world might be happening with this? Has this happened with anyone else?

Thank you for any help in the future!

Check my answer in here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mouse-cursor-missing-after-1-3-5-update.59117/

Hi,
I have the exact same issue and no idea how to solve it. Bought the game on GOG today and never experienced that kind of problem before on any linux game.
If any of you found a solution ... :]
I'm going with a T420 lenovo running Linux Mint 18.1 Serena

@rebepol : Doesn't solve the issue ;)

Back
Top Bottom