Guide My best prismatic lacewing farm yet [60/h roughly...]

jimbojones27

Terrarian
Lacewing farming has always been interesting to me as butterflies are so terrible, hoiking them is really difficult, and very hit or miss, you only have 3 choices of items to catch them with (with only one of them actually being viable), they can only spawn in a very small window of time and are fairly rare.

My first lacewing farm was not so good but it was a good stepping stone. The main problem with this farm was that the spawning area was very very small, this really killed the rates for the farm as there were much fewer tiles where a spawn attempt could be made succesfully. I would then teleport through the spawn area collecting any lacewings along the way. The small spawn area allowed the player to reliably collect all lacewings but again killed the rates.

I revisted lacewing farming and then came up with the second design for the farm. This farm massively improved upon the small spawning area. After a long train journey I had a farm that worked. It utilised hoiks to help the player travel through the tall spawning area and to collect all the lacewings.

The problem with this farm is that the player would take forever in the spawn area. Having the player hoik all the way to the top of the spawn area and then fall back down five times took a long time. But this by far was the coolest looking farm and my favourite overall.
If you want to see how this worked

The third farm I made improves on the idea of the second farm. I realised whilst making the second one, like why the heck am I going up and then down when I could just go down every time. It does look less cool but is much better than the last one. The only thing that is better about #2 is that the lacewings are more reliably picked up, but both are pretty reliable, and the less time spent in the spawn zone makes up for this. This third farm is also easier to build. This farm is the best if you only plan on using this farm for a night at a time.

Here's a video of the farm working as well.

My final farm blows the other 3 out of the water. I think it doubles the rates (if I'm doing my math correctly) of the third one. This farm takes the core design of the third one but it adds sleeping to the farm. Sleeping passes the time 5 times as quick. So during the times when you are not able to spawn lacewings you are in bed.

There are 4.5 minutes per day when you are able to spawn in lacewings, and another 19.5 minutes when you can't. So turning these 19.5 minutes into 3.9 minutes really helps to maximise the time spent catching lacewings.

Screenshot_20221203-142001_Terraria.jpg

Screenshot_20221203-142012_Terraria.jpg

This is the sleeping area. Using an autoclicker in a specific location on the screen, a player can get into a bed, without getting out of the bed. There needs to be an autoclicker as if the player just holds down a mouse button, (or the screen in my case) the player will never enter the bed. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the right location for your cursor to be, but everything should work once you have that.

There are a few things that need to be dealt with whilst AFKing. Any event that spawns will stop the player from speeding up time.
This is fine for solar eclipses and blood moons as they pass by themselves. But for pirate invasions and goblin armies, these don't go away by themselves.

That's why in the waiting area the farm has a pirate invasion and goblin army farm.
This farm works by teleporting all event enemies from the spawn area close to you.
This helps to kill any goblin sorcerers before they have the chance to teleport.
Screenshot_20221203-142021_Terraria.jpg

The main dangers for this farm are, pirate spirits and goblin warlocks. These enemies have high damage and do not care about walls. This is why a good summoning setup is needed for this farm.
Warlocks generally will take a few shots at you, but will then fall to the ground and despawn- which is very convenient. A warlock banner is strongly recommended.

Pirate spirits can really hurt you and will knock you out of your bed, so having good regeneration is needed, band of regeneration, campfire, heart lantern and shiny stone will help keep you alive, along with full stardust armour for the guardian.

The low roof in the spawn area serves two purposes. It slows down the rate of enemy spawning. Having 2 or 3 pirate curses in quick succession can kill the player, the low roof means that this is much less likely to happen. The second reason is the low roof blocks mothron from spawning. If a solar eclipse happens you really don't want mothron spawning for obvious reasons, everything else in the event can be dealt with by the dragon very easily.

Once night occurs, the player is teleported from their bed into the lacewing farm itself.

Screenshot_20221203-141824_Terraria.jpg

Screenshot_20221203-141859_Terraria.jpg

Once you are teleported there, the dummy engine for the farm is turned on- this teleports any enemy away other than prismatic lacewings, frogs and wraiths.
Another night sensor turns on a 4.5 minute timer (that long binary counter), this timer teleports the player away from the farm at exactly midnight.

After ten seconds you are teleported into the spawning area to collect the lacewings. Tge dummy engine is also turned off so you arent teleported into the despawn area. This is the same design as farm #3, so you are simply dropping from teleporters at the top.
Screenshot_20221203-141916_Terraria.jpg

Screenshot_20221203-141925_Terraria.jpg

The reason for the tricky teleporter placement was that I needed a floating actuated teleporer directly above a pressure plate. This would allow me to fall straight out of the bottom of the teleporters at the top. I also needed more actuated blocks underneath to prevent grass from growing- as growing grass would break the fragile floating teleporters. This was tricky to do as placing anything directly underneath a floating teleporter breaks it, unless it has a chest or pylon on top of it. But like last year or something I figured out a way of destroying single blocks of the teleporter without breaking the whole thing using a pylon, which allowed me to get the pressure plate underneath.

Anyway the spawn area works because of this and every time you fall down and hit the blue pressure plate you go right back up to the top of the next teleporter, this is until the last teleporter teleports you back to the waiting area, turning back on the timer and the dummy engine, this process repeats until the 4.5 minute timer finishes.

This triggers a conveyor belt on the AFK spot to be deactuated, pushing the player onto a pressure plate and teleporting them back to the sleeping area. The pressure plate also deactuates the conveyor belt making it ready for another use.

A video of the farm working

Items, Accessories, and armor
Full stardust armour, shiny stone, band of regeneration, a lava charm or one of its upgrades (you could modify farm to remove this prerequisite), a knock back preventing shield.
Guide to critter companionship, golden Burnet, stardust dragon staff.
The more defense and regeneration, like most farms, the better. So anything else to improve this will help, ie bast statues, more regeneration items.
The more luck the better, correct biome torches, gnomes.
Jungle biome and hallow biome hybrid maximises spawn rate.

Things to improve
-Teleporting away exactly at midnight might miss a few lacewings that spawned at like 11:58.
- Solar eclipses slow down the farm hugely, it might help to detect a solar eclipse and use a moondial? (I hope that's what they are called, night version of a sun dial). Somehow do this by detecting that time is moving slower than it should.
- I bet the bed setup could be better as at the moment it can take a couple of tries to get into the bed, hence the needed for the conveyor belt and teleporter loop- which is kind of janky.

You should be able to download the world (called gemfarm because it was originally for that lol)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-142149_Terraria.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-142149_Terraria.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • Gemfarm.wld
    2.6 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom