My Charector is corrupted !

The Red-Dragon

Terrarian
When I go on terraria it says my Charector,s name in red ! He has no vanity or armour, and when I go to my games-terraria-players, my back up file for my Charector has .bad next to it, so it's called Jason.bad, please help, if it was windows 7 it would probably be easy to fix.but I got windows 8, please help !

When I go on terraria it says my Charector,s name in red ! He has no vanity or armour, and when I go to my games-terraria-players, my back up file for my Charector has .bad next to it, so it's called Jason.bad, please help, if it was windows 7 it would probably be easy to fix.but I got windows 8, please help !

There is no solution to fixing this, you can attempt to load your world with TEdit, but other than that its gone for good. Please be reminded to avoid using third party softwares when playing Terraria to ensure you do not get corruptions:
- Don't use other programs while playing Terraria
- Don't use hacks, tools, mods, trainers, cheat engine, etc
- Don't use notepad or other programs to edit text related features.
- Don't use or run of the same client.

ok i'll delete the bad file, but i am just wondering, in the next update will the developers help fix the corrupted characters ? please hopefully do.

ok i'll delete the bad file, but i am just wondering, in the next update will the developers help fix the corrupted characters ? please hopefully do.

So far, no one has provided enough information on how to reproduce this issue. Also, you never confirmed or denied the use of any third party software or devices.

Might be worth a shot... but have you tried right-clicking your character file>properties>checking for previous versions? This topic is a bit old now, but your OS may have saved a version of your character before you had issues.

Also, since it is not working at all for you, it might be worth switching the name from Jason.bad to Jason.plr to see if it loads it up.

I've only had issues with a world corrupting before from the game crashing on me and restoring a previous version got my world back.

Might be worth a shot... but have you tried right-clicking your character file>properties>checking for previous versions? This topic is a bit old now, but your OS may have saved a version of your character before you had issues...

He's using Windows 8 which doesn't have this function (by default).

In over 1,000 hours of playing I have never experienced a corrupted character, and judging by the forums, this is extremely rare. It's most likely caused by the game not shutting properly - not the games fault but your PC crashing while playing.

Anyway, that character is probably doomed. If it affects you enough you may want to periodically make a back up of your characters and worlds. If you remember what you had you might like to use an inventory editor or "all-items" map to re-create your character.

He's using Windows 8 which doesn't have this function (by default).

In over 1,000 hours of playing I have never experienced a corrupted character, and judging by the forums, this is extremely rare. It's most likely caused by the game not shutting properly - not the games fault but your PC crashing while playing.

Anyway, that character is probably doomed. If it affects you enough you may want to periodically make a back up of your characters and worlds. If you remember what you had you might like to use an inventory editor or "all-items" map to re-create your character.
Um is there a mod which allows me to see my characters items and my safes items ?

Corruption occurs when the saving process of a file is being control by the application, however, closing the application during such activity, will result in damaged save files or worse.

If you use the menu provided in Terraria, you can be sure that you properly saved your game. This all depends on if you are using a nice clean client that is provided by Re-Logic (retailed by Steam or GOG).

This all depends on if you are using a nice clean client that is provided by Re-Logic (retailed by Steam or GOG).

This is a valid point. I had a friend who was too cheap to buy Terraira after I introduced it to him, so he found a pirated download of it. He had issues with corrupt saves as well. As far as I know, he never found a way to recover the damaged files. Karma :p

Not sure if your copy of Terraria is legitimate, but that may be an issue. Or, as @Marcus101RR and @rubeszilla pointed out, interrupting a save in progress can corrupt files as well. As a general rule, it's a good idea to back up your saved files every so often. I know that's not much consolation now, but hopefully it will save you a headache in the future.

The web-based inventory editor I use allows you to see and alter both inventories and safe items. However, I believe it would require your saved file not to be corrupt. If you want to give it a shot anyway, here is the link. Remember, before using any third party program, including this editor, or TEdit, back up your save files.

Good luck with getting your character back ^.^

I've played over 1,000, maybe 1,500 hours and never had a corrupt character, and judging by the community it seems this thing is extremely rare. It really is most likely player caused (shutting down improperly) and not the games fault.

As for starting again, I've created and deleted uncountable completed players and worlds, but I understand not everyone does that.

1.3 is just around the corner mate, there will be a huge amount of new content and most players are going to start from scratch, so maybe wait until then and enjoy a new game with all the extra content.

Back
Top Bottom