Sprites New Accessories and Accessory Revisions

How do you feel about this thread?

• Most of the items have a sort of problem with them. (Reply for an explaination)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give up, this won't go anywhere. (Reply for an explaination)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Puts a shell around the owner that reduces a maximum of 300 damage by 50% when below 25% life.
Any damage higher then max will only be reduced by 5%.
300% of enemy damage is repelled back to the enemy when above 75% life. This effect does not work on bosses.
Oof, that was fine how it was, honestly. This was the part that was problematic.

I think you overestimate the usefulness of raw Thorns in this game. Enemies have a loooooot more health than players do.
Having this effect not work on bosses just makes the effect less useful for the same reasons I just stated.

oh yeah dw when you consider that the things hitting you in endgame have 10,000+ health, something hitting you for 100 damage reflecting back at 500 damage isn't game-breaking.
first off, nice pixel art all-around.
people here have proposed that this item should be crafted via ancient manipulator, which I agree with - specifically, I think this should be a post-ML accessory.
this is mostly because I'm actually quite fond of the ice golem shield, a post-plantera accessory. give that 10% damage reflection a fat buff and it's something that makes you second-guess the ankh shield. (ankh shield needs a buff of its own imo but I digress)
give the players a chance to use all of these unique items and appreciate their properties before you amalgamate them into this monster. that's what I think.
this suggestion at first seemed a little farfetched but it honestly gives the game a lot of depth and opportunities to explore. maybe a little bit of balancing here and there should be considered, but this goes for any suggestion. with crafting trees like the cell phone in game already, I have no problem with a crafting tree that grows with you as a player until you've beaten the game.
I do like some of your suggestions, but the main problem I have here is that I can't really find a way to give the players a chance to use some of these items on their own. I can't think of much of a use to give to them other then their main immunities, and rarely, some other minor uses. Let me know what other uses would be good for them.

Oof, that was fine how it was, honestly. This was the part that was problematic.

I think you overestimate the usefulness of raw Thorns in this game. Enemies have a loooooot more health than players do.
Having this effect not work on bosses just makes the effect less useful for the same reasons I just stated.
Thing is, I don't really want people using the shield's repel feature to defeat bosses with no sweat. But if you really think it would be good for bosses, then I'll trust you.

Thing is, I don't really want people using the shield's repel feature to defeat bosses with no sweat. But if you really think it would be good for bosses, then I'll trust you.
You have to take damage to even use the feature. Try to abuse it and you're gonna die, especially with bosses •<•
That's the thing you gotta think about when coming up with "damage retaliation" effects.

You have to take damage to even use the feature. Try to abuse it and you're gonna die, especially with bosses •<•
That's the thing you gotta think about when coming up with "damage retaliation" effects.
Here's the new stats:
Puts a shell around the owner that reduces a maximum of 400 damage by 50% when below 50% life.
Any damage higher then max will only be reduced by 25%.
500% of enemy damage is repelled back to the enemy when above 50% life.

Venom Antidote
Vial_of_Venom.png
+
Spider_Fang.png
+
Bezoar.png
at
Tinkerer%27s_Workshop.png
=
Venom Antidote TMOD.png

Provides immunity to Venom and Poison. Material.

Spectre Charm
Spectre Charm TMOD.png

Provides immunity to Blackout. Material.
Has a 10% / 20% (1/10 / 1/5) chance to drop from Ragged Casters.

You might get quite a few of these. Just sayin'.

Cursed Amulet
Living_Cursed_Fire_Block.png
+ 30
Soul_of_Night.gif
+
Nazar.png
+ 5
Ectoplasm.png
at
Adamantite_Forge.png
/
Titanium_Forge.png
=
Cursed Amulet TMOD.png

Immunity to Cursed and Cursed Inferno. Material.

Yeah... there's a reason why this item is post Mech Bosses.

Divine Polish
Living_Ichor_Block.png
+ 30
Soul_of_Night.gif
+
Armor_Polish.png
+ 5
Ectoplasm.png
at
Adamantite_Forge.png
/
Titanium_Forge.png
=
Divine Polish TMOD.png

Immunity to Broken Armor and Ichor. Material.

This one isn't quite as OP, but you gotta be consistent with world evil-related items.

Web Cutters
Cobweb.png
+
Sickle.png
+ 5
Spider_Fang.png
at
Iron_Anvil.png
=
Web Cutters TMOD.png

Provides immunity to Webbed. You no longer get stuck in cobwebs. Material.

Feral Shots
Bat Fang TMOD.png
+ 5
Soul_of_Might.gif
+
Vitamins.png
=
Feral Shots TMOD.png

Provides immunity to Weak and Feral Bite. Material.

Bat Fangs
Bat Fang TMOD.png
have a 5% / 10% (1/20 / 1/10) chance to drop from the following:
Giant Bats, Illuminant Bats, Lava Bats, Giant Flying Foxes, and Vampires.

You are greatly overrating how valuable a debuff immunity is. Usually it's never worth the full slot since it will be doing nothing until that debuff is present. Look at the Ankh Charm, for example. It's one of the worst items in the game and the only reason people make it is because the effects are actually somewhat useful combined with the KB immunity from the Obsidian Shield, and even then that upgrade is seen as a waste of time by a lot of people.

None of these are ever going to be worn, Debuffs are not always active and these do absolutely nothing until they are.

My personal favorite here is the Cursed Amulet, which you for some reason restricted it to after the Twins have been defeated even though that's the only time the debuff matters and, as I explained above, wouldn't even be used for that fight anyways.

Flame Charm
Living_Fire_Block.png
+ 30
Soul_of_Night.gif
+ 10
Soul_of_Fright.gif
+
Lava_Charm.png
at
Adamantite_Forge.png
/
Titanium_Forge.png
=
Flame Charm TMOD.png

Immunity to On Fire and provides 14 seconds of immunity to lava.

Yeah, this one's quite OP too. I know, I know.

1587756011854.png

Soul of Bravery
Endurance_Potion.png
+
Titan_Glove.png
+ 5
Soul_of_Might.gif
+ 5
Soul_of_Fright.gif
at
Crystal_Ball.png
=
Soul of Bravery TMOD.png

Provides immunity to Horrified and gives an endless Endurance buff when in your inventory. Material.

This one might be kind of a stretch.
And yes, it's an Undertale reference.
What the hell is this?

This feels like you developed an RNG item/recipe generator, ran it once, and then posted the result here. What is the purpose of this?

Literally nothing about it makes sense or fits the game.

Flamewing Rose
Magma Rose TMOD.png
+
Flame Charm TMOD.png
at
=
Flamewing Rose TMOD.png

All attacks deal fire damage and have a chance to summon flaming bats.
Provides immunity to On Fire and lava. Material.
Gonna have to give more detail to this one, what are those bats like?

Also, it's really weird. This is made with QoL/Defensive items and is then combined into a QoL/Defensive one. Why does it have a random offensive effect?

Honeytooth Necklace
Sweetheart_Necklace.png
+
Shark_Tooth_Necklace.png
at
=
Honeytooth Necklace TMOD.png

Releases bees and increases movement speed when damaged.
Increases armor penetration by 5. Material.
Panic_Necklace.png
+
Shark_Tooth_Necklace.png
=
Sharpheart Necklace.png

Sweet Tooth Veil

Honeytooth Necklace TMOD.png
+
Star_Veil.png
at
=
Sweet Tooth Veil TMOD.png

Sharpheart Necklace.png
+
Bee_Cloak.png
+
Cross_Necklace.png
at
=
Sweet Tooth Veil TMOD.png

Causes homing stars to fall, releases wasps, increases movement speed and length of invincibility after taking damage.
Wasps and stars heal the player half of the damage they dealt. Increases armor penetration by 10. Material.
Increases movement speed when damaged. Increases armor penetration by 5. Material.
Question 1: Why does the second choice for both of them exist?
Question 2: Why do you think slapping bad items to a good one will change anything?

It only worked for Celestial Shell because it lets you stack two Celestial Stones, and I'm not going to be doing that with STNs in preHardmode, much less in Hardmode.

Ice Golem Shield
Frost_Core.png
+
Frozen_Turtle_Shell.png
+
Paladin%27s_Shield.png
at
=
Ice Golem Shield TMOD.png

Puts a shell around the owner that reduces a maximum of 200 damage by 50% when below 25% life.
10% of enemy damage is repelled back to the enemy when above 75% life. This effect does not work on bosses.
Inflicts Frostburn on any attack.
Provides immunity to knockback. Material.

This is a worse version of both of the things used to craft it. If you care about the Frozen Turtle Shell, you are not going to ruin its effect just for situational KB immunity, and since the Ice Barrier Threshold is so stupidly low now I'm pretty sure the 6 defense from the Paladin's Shield will matter more.

The things I highlighted in blue will matter exactly never and don't even have anything to do with the two items used for it, so I'd just remove them as to not bloat this thing's tooltip.

Shield of the Ancients
Ice Golem Shield TMOD.png
+
Ankh_Shield.png
+
Flamewing Rose TMOD.png
+
Reflective Glove.png
+
Venom Antidote TMOD.png
+
Spectre Charm TMOD.png
+
Cursed Amulet TMOD.png
OR
Divine Polish TMOD.png
+
Soul of Bravery TMOD.png
+
Web Cutters TMOD.png
+
Feral Shots TMOD.png
+ 15
Idolistic Stone TMOD.png
at

Grants immunity to almost every vanilla debuff, knockback, lava, and fire blocks.
Puts a shell around the owner that reduces a maximum of 200 damage by 50% when below 25% life.
10% of enemy damage is repelled back to the enemy when above 75% life.
This effect does not work on bosses.
Inflicts Frostburn and On Fire on any attack, and has a chance to inflict Cursed Inferno and Ichor on attack.
Attacks have a chance to summon flaming bats.
You no longer get stuck in cobwebs, and have an endless Endurance buff.
Tooltip: 'Nothing can get in your way.'

Idolized Stones
Idolistic Stone TMOD.png
have a 100% ( 1/1) chance to drop 10-20 from Golem.

Yeah, let's not.

This is a worse version of both of the things used to craft it. If you care about the Frozen Turtle Shell, you are not going to ruin its effect just for situational KB immunity, and since the Ice Barrier Threshold is so stupidly low now I'm pretty sure the 6 defense from the Paladin's Shield will matter more.

The things I highlighted in blue will matter exactly never and don't even have anything to do with the two items used for it, so I'd just remove them as to not bloat this thing's tooltip.
Okay yeah, THAT'S pretty much what I was trying to communicate.
I actually didn't realize that way-more-obvious problem until like 10 minutes ago whoooops

I do like some of your suggestions, but the main problem I have here is that I can't really find a way to give the players a chance to use some of these items on their own. I can't think of much of a use to give to them other then their main immunities, and rarely, some other minor uses. Let me know what other uses would be good for them.
this is a good point, it kind of comes down to how accessories that give you immunities are often ignored in favour of more useful, damage-oriented accessories.

to counter this, you should combine more niche accessories with these new ones you've created. I'll give a few examples of existing accessories that have interesting properties, ignored simply because other accessories are superior.

1587756276636.png
Flesh Knuckles - offer +7 defense. that's it. applying this to some accessory and changing the +7 to a +6 or +5 makes them viable.

1587756361324.png
Putrid Scent - enemies are less likely to target you, 5% increased damage and crit strike chance. this is kind of neat, but would you agree that you would probably take an avenger emblem over this? apply it to another accessory and it becomes viable.

1587756498947.png
Shark Tooth Necklace - reduces enemy defense by 5. this usually corresponds to a 2-3 damage increase for the player, assuming they're attacking with a weapon that deals over half the enemy's defense in damage in the first place. this item is shockingly not used in any accessory upgrades at all.

1587756613117.png
Star Cloak - a 30-damage star falls from the sky when you take damage. this one is used in the creation of the star veil when combined with the cross necklace. in my opinion, the cross necklace is downright superior to the star veil unless you're planning on selling them, but this item has potential in other crafting recipes.

I'll give some expert mode-exclusive items now. some people may think these shouldn't be combined since they're special expert boss drop items.

I just think it's a shame that these items, well, suck. they have good potential if combined creatively with your accessories.

1587756968403.png
Brain of Confusion - enemies making contact with you are sometimes confused. wait, aren't a bunch of enemies just immune to confusion? wait, aren't you supposed to not get hit in the first place on expert mode? combine this with something else to make it more viable and fun!

1587757103527.png
Spore Sac - occasionally spawns spores that deal damage to enemies. is this not incredibly fun and unique? it's just a shame that it's not viable at this point in the game.

1587757236424.png
Shiny Stone - massively increases life regeneration if you're standing still. I will admit here that this item is viable in several situations; not to say it can't be combined with other accessories for more options.

1587757374753.png
Gravity Globe - gives you control over gravity. that is, it's a perpetual gravitation potion. I never understood why someone would want to use this at all, but maybe you can answer that for me by creatively applying it to an accessory.
_______

here's the thing - combining these with immunity accessories and then combining those immunity accessories into a god accessory is silly. right now your goal should be to make an immunity accessory that someone who just beat plantera would use.

this is difficult. that's why combining your immunity accessories with existing and unrelated accessories will make a player stop and think - "can I make this work? would I take off one of my counterweights for this? would I take off an emblem for this?"

of course, this is not to say the Shield of the Ancients can't exist, but it doesn't need to be made of everything. it's important to force players to pick and choose sometimes, rather than let them have an all-in-one.

let me know what you think.

Yeah, let's not.
While some of your arguments are valid, it's best to look at the bigger picture. Everyone has different ideas, and it's not best to shoot them out of the sky just because you don't appreciate them. Not everyone thinks the same as you.

this is a good point, it kind of comes down to how accessories that give you immunities are often ignored in favour of more useful, damage-oriented accessories.

to counter this, you should combine more niche accessories with these new ones you've created. I'll give a few examples of existing accessories that have interesting properties, ignored simply because other accessories are superior.

View attachment 268232 Flesh Knuckles - offer +7 defense. that's it. applying this to some accessory and changing the +7 to a +6 or +5 makes them viable.

View attachment 268233 Putrid Scent - enemies are less likely to target you, 5% increased damage and crit strike chance. this is kind of neat, but would you agree that you would probably take an avenger emblem over this? apply it to another accessory and it becomes viable.

View attachment 268235 Shark Tooth Necklace - reduces enemy defense by 5. this usually corresponds to a 2-3 damage increase for the player, assuming they're attacking with a weapon that deals over half the enemy's defense in damage in the first place. this item is shockingly not used in any accessory upgrades at all.

View attachment 268236 Star Cloak - a 30-damage star falls from the sky when you take damage. this one is used in the creation of the star veil when combined with the cross necklace. in my opinion, the cross necklace is downright superior to the star veil unless you're planning on selling them, but this item has potential in other crafting recipes.

I'll give some expert mode-exclusive items now. some people may think these shouldn't be combined since they're special expert boss drop items.

I just think it's a shame that these items, well, suck. they have good potential if combined creatively with your accessories.

View attachment 268238 Brain of Confusion - enemies making contact with you are sometimes confused. wait, aren't a bunch of enemies just immune to confusion? wait, aren't you supposed to not get hit in the first place on expert mode? combine this with something else to make it more viable and fun!

View attachment 268239 Spore Sac - occasionally spawns spores that deal damage to enemies. is this not incredibly fun and unique? it's just a shame that it's not viable at this point in the game.

View attachment 268240 Shiny Stone - massively increases life regeneration if you're standing still. I will admit here that this item is viable in several situations; not to say it can't be combined with other accessories for more options.

View attachment 268241 Gravity Globe - gives you control over gravity. that is, it's a perpetual gravitation potion. I never understood why someone would want to use this at all, but maybe you can answer that for me by creatively applying it to an accessory.
_______

here's the thing - combining these with immunity accessories and then combining those immunity accessories into a god accessory is silly. right now your goal should be to make an immunity accessory that someone who just beat plantera would use.

this is difficult. that's why combining your immunity accessories with existing and unrelated accessories will make a player stop and think - "can I make this work? would I take off one of my counterweights for this? would I take off an emblem for this?"

of course, this is not to say the Shield of the Ancients can't exist, but it doesn't need to be made of everything. it's important to force players to pick and choose sometimes, rather than let them have an all-in-one.

let me know what you think.

I like this. Your suggestions are valid, and make sense. And you are correct about the god accessory, and how players should decide what to use. Though this would require a large change to most of the items, which might take a while. Perhaps I could contact you on Discord so we could discuss this more easily, since I'm interested in seeing what we could come up with.

I like this. Your suggestions are valid, and make sense. And you are correct about the god accessory, and how players should decide what to use. Though this would require a large change to most of the items, which might take a while. Perhaps I could contact you on Discord so we could discuss this more easily, since I'm interested in seeing what we could come up with.
sure, my dc is TheJoekster#6527. other people in this thread have some good points and criticisms as well, make yourself read them.

Let me know if any of you have any ideas or changes for this post, I'd be happy to discuss it one on one, especially since we're planning to add this into a mod (we being my mod team). :)

what if the ankh shield was buffed to not only protect from debuffs but to reverse them into buffs (if possible)?
Could be an interesting concept, I might look more into that if I ever decide to add the SotA (Shield of the Ancients) into me and my team's mod.

what if the ankh shield was buffed to not only protect from debuffs but to reverse them into buffs (if possible)?
That would be a really cool idea
endgame shield

Terra-shield
Crafted with 10 Luminite bars + 10 Solar fragments + 10 Vortext fragments + 10 Nebula fragments + 10 Stardust fragments + Ankh shield + Pocket mirror + Hand warmer + (other stuff) @ Ancient manipulator & tinkerer's workshop (both together)

Gives 10 defense
Provides immunity to fire blocks and knockback
Whenever you would receive one of the following debuffs, it becomes transformed into the buff version for 10 seconds

Broken armor -> Tough armor (+5 defense)
Bleeding -> Vampiric strength (+1.5hp/s)
Poisoned -> Feeling great! (+1hp/s)
Cursed flames -> Flaming shield (Attacks inflict cursed flames)
Ichor -> Bloody shield (Attacks inflict ichor)
Shadowflame (if possible) -> Shadow's blessing (Attacks inflict shadowflame)
etc...

you get the idea

Back
Top Bottom