Items New Antlion related Sentry Items for Pre-Boss

RandomDuckNerd

Skeletron
Antlion Turret Staff (Item).png
Antlion Turret Staff (Sentry).png

Antlion Turret Staff
9 Summon Damage | Speed similar to the Hondius Shootius
Rotates to shoot enemies similar to the Queen Spider Staff
Obtained by Combining 8x Antlion Mandibles, 2x Sturdy Fossils, and 10x Gold/Platinum at a Work Bench.

"Summons an Antlion Turret that shoots sand at your enemies"
(NOTE: The sand isn't placed down like the Antlion enemy's attacks)

Antlion Breastplate (Item).png
Antlion Breastplate (On Player.png

Antlion Breastplate
2 Defense | +1 Sentry Slot | +5% Summon Damage
Obtained by Combing 10x Antlion Mandibles, 4x Sturdy Fossils, and 8x Gold/Platinum at an Anvil.

These items serve as Pre-Boss gear for the Sentry Subclass and could also be considered the desert counterpart of the Flinx Set. These items don't have much to talk about as they're pretty simple.

I feel like Ive seen this concept before (because antlion is perfect for an early game sentry), but it definitely didnt have art like this. I think just the head sticking out of the ground, like the actual antlion, would be better, spitting sand balls that dont form blocks at enemies (unless it did... as an alternative to farming sand?). I dont play summoner enough to know if the chestplate is needed or not, but the art is cool

I think that this weapon idea would be great! I know that half of the mods out there is just about shaping more about adding more to Terraria, but I think that one should comprise all of the major ideas people want to see in Terraria and to make it an actual mod to have in the game. People can think about ideas for adding into progression, and maybe the developers can even take a glimpse of what out of every other wepaon could do and whatnot.

I feel like Ive seen this concept before (because antlion is perfect for an early game sentry), but it definitely didnt have art like this. I think just the head sticking out of the ground, like the actual antlion, would be better, spitting sand balls that dont form blocks at enemies (unless it did... as an alternative to farming sand?). I dont play summoner enough to know if the chestplate is needed or not, but the art is cool
No, it shouldn't drop sand of course. And Player's friendly Antlions must looks a bit different (to differ them)

No, it shouldn't drop sand of course. And Player's friendly Antlions must looks a bit different (to differ them)
yes of course; if it had a similarly shaped sprite, a difference in color would be important. And I suppose on one hand renewable sand would be nice, but would quickly get everywhere if you use this sentry as your main source of defense early game. So yea it probably shouldn't.

yes of course; if it had a similarly shaped sprite, a difference in color would be important. And I suppose on one hand renewable sand would be nice, but would quickly get everywhere if you use this sentry as your main source of defense early game. So yea it probably shouldn't.
Just buy Ale from Tavernkeep and shimmer it down to Sand. Unlimited Sand!

I like the sentry idea, although I don't understand why it's some kind of strange gun instead of being a creature. The chestplate, however, I don't think much of. It's exactly the same as the Flinx Fur Coat, except with 1 more defense, and there just doesn't seem to be much point to adding it.

I think just the head sticking out of the ground, like the actual antlion, would be better
I like the sentry idea, although I don't understand why it's some kind of strange gun instead of being a creature.
I didn't do a normal antlion for the sentry because I thought that was too lazy (even though I just now realized that the flinx staff is literally just a retextured flinx)

I like the sentry, but I think the armor piece should be a helmet instead of a breastplate; Flinx Fur Coat is also a breastplate, and grants an extra minion slot. The obvious minion to fill that slot is a flinx, which are incredible at protecting you early-game, while sentries really aren't. Making it a some kind of insect helmet would make it no longer compete with (and lose to) Flinx Coat for your chest slot, and might see some good use in combination with it.

Not only that, but both the Coat and the proposed piece only give 5% summon damage, which on its own thanks to rounding does... nothing, at least at this tier. Moving the Antlion Armor to the head slot will let you combine them for 10%, which will actually increase the damage of much more items; a weapon must have at least 20 base damage for 5% to give it anything (5% of 19 is 0.95, and this game always rounds down) but only 10 damage for 10% to start working. This is somewhat helped by accessory reforges and food/potion buffs, but those are not easy to access or maintain at this stage of the game.

Last edited:
I like the sentry, but I think the armor piece should be a helmet instead of a breastplate; Flinx Fur Coat is also a breastplate, and grants an extra minion slot. The obvious minion to fill that slot is a flinx, which are incredible at protecting you early-game, while sentries really aren't. Making it a some kind of insect helmet would make it no longer compete with (and lose to) Flinx Coat for your chest slot, and might see some good use in combination with it.
The main reason I didn't make it a helmet or leggings was because I didn't like the idea of stacking it with the flinx fur coat

Back
Top Bottom