Weapons & Equip New "Equipment" Slot only for Wings?

Senzaki

Terrarian
Why not making a new slot on the Equipment subsection only for Wings? Would that be too OP? It would be much better that than sacrificing an accessory slot that could be used for combat just for some mobility.

That would be cool to see, but all of the equipment slots are made for accessories that couldn't even be equipped before recently. The reason they were created for the items they were is because the items were originally just taking up space in your inventory for no reason, so it wouldn't make much sense for one to be made for wings.

That would be cool to see, but all of the equipment slots are made for accessories that couldn't even be equipped before recently. The reason they were created for the items they were is because the items were originally just taking up space in your inventory for no reason, so it wouldn't make much sense for one to be made for wings.
Yeah, but it would be so useful, as it would free one accessory slot for using with combat accessories.

Yeah, but it would be so useful, as it would free one accessory slot for using with combat accessories.
Well, I'm saying that the reason the other slots were added was for convenience, not to open up an accessory slot. I guess what I'm saying is I think it would be too OP.

It would be kinda nice, but also kind of not. If that was introduced, I'd prefer it if there were no prefixes on the wings any more.
Fitting the right accessories onto your character is supposed to be a challenge and you will always have to make compromises, but wings are an accessory that most people will always keep equipped at least until they have the Cosmic Car Key.

The biggest offender in the "always equipped" category is the Ankh Shield, though. I mean, practically everybody will use it once they get their hands on it because it's simply the most useful accessory out there. The only reason not to use it is for challenges.
The Worm Scarf is similar and will essentially always occupy the 6th accessory slot in expert mode whenever you're in a corruption world.

Been suggested before.

Either they'd:
- Add this wing slot and with it free up an accessory slot, which would reduce the game balance Re-Logic intended. Sure, they could rework every single accessory in the game, but that'd take a ton of time and would not really be worth it.
- Change one of the accessory slots to be for wings only, leaving people with only 4 accessories in the first half of the game and, well, 4 accessories+wings in the second half of the game. I do not always use wings in hardmode.

Not a good idea.

The biggest offender in the "always equipped" category is the Ankh Shield, though. I mean, practically everybody will use it once they get their hands on it because it's simply the most useful accessory out there.
I have do disagree. Once you get good at dodging stuff it's really just an item that's in the way of any damage doing item you could use instead.
There was a time where I'd equip it all the time on all my characters, but one day I thought to myself: Why am I even using it? Overrated item. ;)
It's handy when used with true melee weapons though (melee weapons without projectiles), so you don't bounce out of range.

I have do disagree. Once you get good at dodging stuff it's really just an item that's in the way of any damage doing item you could use instead.
There was a time where I'd equip it all the time on all my characters, but one day I thought to myself: Why am I even using it? Overrated item. ;)
It's handy when used with true melee weapons though (melee weapons without projectiles), so you don't bounce out of range.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, but I don't know if/when I'll be able to dodge literally every attack to avoid the plentiful debuffs, especially on expert mode where they are applied on every single hit.
I just don't see a point to add a fourth damage accessory when I kill Fishron before he finishes his transformation to his final form already.

Well, the picture is:
We had this thread countless times before.
The last time I saw this comic, Cenx didn't like the idea.
Thread faded.

Still, I don't get it why.
At the current meta, wings are obsolete. Only rangers are forced into using these accessories, for that Vortex armor is disabled on mounts.
Endgame mounts have infinite flight time and fly much faster than endgame wings can even hover. That's a quite clear reason to never ever wear a wing anymore if you have access to the Cosmic Car Key or the Shrimpy Truffle.
Except if you're a ranger.

Melee, mage and summoner players can use that accessory slot for something useful instead, which isn't really fair to say the least.
Currently all other classes have better - and more damaging - weapon options than ranged, all of them have better mobility options too and only summoners have less practical defensive. Mages might seem to have lower defense, but don't be fooled by that, their HP regen from Nebula makes them extremely tanky.

As such, granting a wing-only accessory slot would mean nothing to most players as we use mounts anyways.
Rangers however really need this change. At the moment rangers are lacking in power and being forced to equip wings hurts them a lot.

- Add this wing slot and with it free up an accessory slot, which would reduce the game balance Re-Logic intended. Sure, they could rework every single accessory in the game, but that'd take a ton of time and would not really be worth it.
You're missing the point by a long shot. No need to rework anything there, mage, melee and summoner players are not using wings anymore. Rangers use wings, but they are much weaker than the other classes in multiple aspects.
Mages, warriors and summoners can all use one more accessory than rangers.
This change would only affect the weakest class in the current game and it would be a positive change that puts it more in line. Adding a wing slot to the character actually helps the balance of the game, it's a fix to a problem that exists.

Last edited:
Currently all other classes have better - and more damaging - weapon options than ranged

Melee deals more damage than ranged? Did I miss something?

In any case: They might as well give rangers a set bonus they can actually use properly instead of giving us a wing slot to fix a ranger-specific issue.
Rangers are the only class whose set bonuses are highly impractical to use in most fights, especially in single player, where you need to be able to dodge essentially all the time. With Shroomite, you lose the bonus if you move or get hit and I really can't think of any significant fight where you can stand still *and* not get hit.
Vortex isn't quite as bad, but your movement is essentially locked to up and down for the time it's active, which makes this bonus mostly unusable as well.

You're missing the point by a long shot. No need to rework anything there, mage, melee and summoner players are not using wings anymore. Rangers use wings, but they are much weaker than the other classes in multiple aspects.
Mages, warriors and summoners can all use one more accessory than rangers.
This change would only affect the weakest class in the current game and it would be a positive change that puts it more in line. Adding a wing slot to the character actually helps the balance of the game, it's a fix to a problem that exists.
I'm still missing the point. Adding a wing slot would give rangers an extra accessory slot is what you're saying, right? But it would do the same for the other classes.
I also don't get why you'd call the ranger weak. With the right setup it kicks serious behind and with the huge assortment of bullet and arrow types you can go into any direction.
Aaand I also don't get why magic/melee/summon wouldn't use wings. Wings are awesome. But like Tyrian3k said:
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
:)

I'm still missing the point. Adding a wing slot would give rangers an extra accessory slot is what you're saying, right? But it would do the same for the other classes.
I also don't get why you'd call the ranger weak. With the right setup it kicks serious behind and with the huge assortment of bullet and arrow types you can go into any direction.
Aaand I also don't get why magic/melee/summon wouldn't use wings. Wings are awesome. But like Tyrian3k said:

:)
You say it would give an additional slot to a mage, a warrior or a summoner. None of them wears wings anymore.
If you give them a wing slot, it doesn't give them anything.

The avarage Mage wears a Celestial Emblem, a Mage Emblem, a Destroyer Emblem, a Celestial Shell and a Celestial Stone. All damage accessories for fights. If you give it a wing slot, it won't gain anything from that for that every single mage uses a Cosmic Car Key or a Shrimpy Truffle.
Same goes for everyone, except the Ranger. The ranger can't use mounts while using Vortex armor. Mounts disable stealth.

If you'll ever find a Cosmic Car Key or a Shrimpy Truffle, you'll learn why wings are obsolete, they just take up an accessory slot. Wings are useless currently, they offer nothing a good mount doesn't offer without taking up an accessory slot.

• Mediocre damage output.
Nothing to say here, ranger weapons are weak. The S.D.M.G. just can't compete with monstrous things like the Last Prism and the Terrarian.
  • Reliance on ammo which is made from precious materials.
Not an issue alone, but if you deal mediocre damage at best and you still have to craft ammo for every shot you make, it just feels wasted energy to use a ranged damage weapon. Mages have a special resource to power their weapons, but that resource is infinite and can't run out at all. You know how many mana pots did I have to drink against the Moonlord? Not a single one.
  • Low range, inaccurate weaponry.
This is the point at which it becomes sad. Most magic and summoner weapons have seeking projectiles or a hitbox so huge you can't miss with it. Melee weapons have 100% accurate beams, some of them can even shoot through walls. Ranged weapons often have a spread of 30° or more. The options are limited, use Chlorophyte, which means that after every single Frost Moon or Pumpkin Moon it takes hours to farm for Chlrophyte or not using most of the ranged weapons.
One of the ranged weapons dropped by Moonlord, the Celebration is less accurate and has less range than all melee weapons dropped by the same boss. That's how inaccurate ranged weaponry is.
  • Low defense.
Well, summoners and mages have low defense too, but there is a difference. Vortex armor turns you into a sitting duck, you practically can't dodge while using it. Summoners have free movement. Mages have free movement and the ability to heal rapidly on their own from Nebula buffs.
  • AI problems in regard of stealth.
You can't use Vortex or Shroomite in single player effectively.
If you try to do, you'll notice that monsters, even during events or invasions will simply ignore your character, with the exception of bosses. Spawn rates will decrease and the enemies that spawn will often walk away from your sight range instead of trying to attack you, making it harder to play these challanges. If you leave stealth, the AI turns back to normal, but you'll lose the benefits of these armors. At that point it's better to equip Nebula for the 45% all damage bonus that the Nebula damage buff grants.
That means you basicly have no endgame ranged armor for single player.

Melee deals more damage than ranged? Did I miss something?

In any case: They might as well give rangers a set bonus they can actually use properly instead of giving us a wing slot to fix a ranger-specific issue.
Rangers are the only class whose set bonuses are highly impractical to use in most fights, especially in single player, where you need to be able to dodge essentially all the time. With Shroomite, you lose the bonus if you move or get hit and I really can't think of any significant fight where you can stand still *and* not get hit.
Vortex isn't quite as bad, but your movement is essentially locked to up and down for the time it's active, which makes this bonus mostly unusable as well.
We also had a topic for that with dozens of pages math and everything. Devs didn't care. Vortex is bad and it was designed with the sole purpose to be bad.

You say it would give an additional slot to a mage, a warrior or a summoner. None of them wears wings anymore.
If you give them a wing slot, it doesn't give them anything.
Maybe you don't use wings anymore, that's fine. I do and many others do as well, I'm sure.

The avarage Mage wears a Celestial Emblem, a Mage Emblem, a Destroyer Emblem, a Celestial Shell and a Celestial Stone. All damage accessories for fights. If you give it a wing slot, it won't gain anything from that for that every single mage uses a Cosmic Car Key or a Shrimpy Truffle.
Same goes for everyone, except the Ranger. The ranger can't use mounts while using Vortex armor. Mounts disable stealth.
Your average mage wears that. I'm sure others do as well. I'm also sure a lot of us do not. I love my wings and find them a lot more practical than any mount, including the CCK. Different play style and all that. :)

If you'll ever find a Cosmic Car Key or a Shrimpy Truffle, you'll learn why wings are obsolete, they just take up an accessory slot. Wings are useless currently, they offer nothing a good mount doesn't offer without taking up an accessory slot.
Over 2k hours of game time, I'm very aware of what a CCK can do. "If you'll ever find a CCK..." It's all good, no offense, it just made me laugh. :D

Sorry, but I still don't see why giving wings their own slot would not matter. Sure, it doesn't matter for anyone who constantly uses flying mounts, but not everyone plays like that.
As an extra note: CCK's are found pretty late in the game as well, although shrimpy truffles can be found right away, that's true. Fishing there right when hardmode starts would be dangerous though.

And as a final note: I do like the idea of wings in a separate slot, and am glad that T:O is apparently doing just this. I just think it'd screw up the balance Re-Logic intended in Terraria.

While wings are almost ubiquitous, they are not the only movement or jump accessory. If there was a wings slot, are the other accessories allowed to be placed in it? X in a Bottle? Balloons? Horseshoes? Rocket Boots?

It also sets a dangerous precedent. If we have wings slot, then we'll want a boots slot. Or a shield slot. Or a gloves slot...

(Actually, now I think about it, that could be an interesting RPG changes. Slots for back, gloves, boots, necklace... But maybe for T:O.)

Maybe you don't use wings anymore, that's fine. I do and many others do as well, I'm sure.
It doesn't matter, if you have one equipped it doesn't make wings a magical substance. By clear and objective thinking, having a wing equipped is still inferior, regardless of if you like or not. Fact.
And as a final note: I do like the idea of wings in a separate slot, and am glad that T:O is apparently doing just this. I just think it'd screw up the balance Re-Logic intended in Terraria.
Did you read anything? That's the point there, it's discriminating currently, only rangers are forced to use wings and they are already bleeding from countless wounds. Giving people a wing accessory slot would help balance by fixing this discriminative crap about Vortex to an extent.
Practically everyone has a slot for the most powerful "wing", even if it called a mount, except rangers.
What kind of balance is that in your book?
It also sets a dangerous precedent. If we have wings slot, then we'll want a boots slot. Or a shield slot. Or a gloves slot...
It wouldn't. At least not any more than we do now. How did we get here? We already have a damn wing slot! Except it is called a mount and that socket is discriminative. The Mount socket currently is a socket designed for the most powerful wings, but ranged players are discriminated and can't use that in combat. If a given ~10-20% of people are forced for their playstyle to use inferior forms of mobility, they shouldn't be handicapped further by descreasing their accessory slots too. It's just not right currently, this state is against balance.

It doesn't matter, if you have one equipped it doesn't make wings a magical substance. By clear and objective thinking, having a wing equipped is still inferior, regardless of if you like or not. Fact.

Did you read anything? That's the point there, it's discriminating currently, only rangers are forced to use wings and they are already bleeding from countless wounds. Giving people a wing accessory slot would help balance by fixing this discriminative crap about Vortex to an extent.
Practically everyone has a slot for the most powerful "wing", even if it called a mount, except rangers.

It wouldn't. At least not any more than we do now. How did we get here? We already have a damn wing slot! Except it is called a mount and that socket is discriminative. The Mount socket currently is a socket designed for the most powerful wings, but ranged players are discriminated and can't use that in combat. If a given ~10-20% of people are forced for their playstyle to use inferior forms of mobility, they shouldn't be handicapped further by descreasing their accessory slots too. It's just not right currently, this state is against balance.
Please try to be a little less hostile about this :)
I understand that you might be getting a little frustrated, but it isn't helpful for anyone involved if you start spewing curse words and insults at everyone (which you weren't doing, I know, it just could eventually happen if you don't settle down).
And also it's just against the rules.
Thanks! :happy:

Inferior to a CCK? No, this is not a fact, this is your opinion. I'd like to argument against the rest as well, but like Ambitions I also don't see why you need to be so hostile.
You're not the sole pinnacle of logic here. Other people have different playstyles and different opinions.
I am going to agree to disagree and leave it at that, hoping you'll chill the heck out.

How would having a wing slot even help much? Shroomite is still just as bad as it was before because you can't use the set bonus at all in either case and with Vortex armor, you can basically only move vertically. It doesn't fix the issue at all.
All you'd get is another slot for an accessory and that's it, but you still don't have anything to even out the lack of a set bonus that works outside of multiplayer.
If the devs were to give ranger armors a more useful set bonus, you could use the CCK just like other classes and free up another accessory slot because you're not using wings any more. The CCK is also not absolutely better than wings. It only has infinite duration going for it. Outside of that, it is considerably slower than endgame wings, especially vertically for Stardust, Solar and Fishron Wings and horizontally for the Nebula Mantle and the Vortex Booster.
The ranger's problems have nothing to do with a lack of a wing slot, but with the set bonuses of Shroomite and Vortex Armor... that is a topic that should stay in its own thread, though.

The ranger's problems have nothing to do with a lack of a wing slot, but with the set bonuses of Shroomite and Vortex Armor... that is a topic that should stay in its own thread, though.
I still regard that as a step forward.
Inferior to a CCK? No, this is not a fact, this is your opinion. I'd like to argument against the rest as well, but like Ambitions I also don't see why you need to be so hostile.
You're not the sole pinnacle of logic here. Other people have different playstyles and different opinions.
I am going to agree to disagree and leave it at that, hoping you'll chill the heck out.
In regard of my behaviour

Okay, first of all, I understand that you are trying to offend me currently in a really elaborate way. It's not working.
On the other hand, if I'm wrong - which is pretty much possible in this case - and you're not actively trying to anger me, you are terrible at it. Calming someone down using the sentence: "...hoping you'll chill the heck out." is not a great way to help said subject chilling the heck out. While it doesn't offend me - plenty of people tried this before to provoke me - it's clearly a dead end if your intention is to calm someone down.

Also, even if I wanted to pose as the pinnacle of logic, I couldn't, for the fact that there there is no such thing as the pinnacle of logic. Think about it, quite simple: you can't rate, count, measure or compare logic. Logic only has 2 states: yes and no. I'm just objective or at least I'm trying my very best to be.

Also, I'm not hostile. I'm trying to explain the facts of this current situation. Hostility starts at an entirely different level and you might want to check out Wikipedia for an objective definition on that. This is not sarcasm, please check the Wikipedia page before using the word. Without proper knowledge of your vocabulary, you might end up hurting people instead of the original effect you wanted to achieve. Thank you.
Hostility by the more common definition is often connected to denying facts, the exact opposite I'm currently trying to do here.

TL;DR: I'm sorry to tell you that regardless if it is intended or not: you're terrible at calming people down.

In regard of facts

I know only 4 things in the game faster than a Shrimpy Truffle: Hoiks, Teleportation, the Mechanical Minecart and a portal based frozen slime block launcher. You might want to try out a portal based frozen slime block launcher, it's amusing, not really useful, but it's fun to watch regardless.

IIRC the fastest horizontal movement speed a wing is capable of is 63mph for a decreased duration, a very limited time. The fastest diagonal speed is 92, but at the point in time where the wing reaches that speed it also runs out of flight time, which makes it a more theoritical than practical speed.

CCK is the slower of the two mount mentioned, it can indefinitely fly horizontally and vertically at 41mph, or 58mph diagonal. This is a virtual world, in which, more speed over time is objectively better, meaing that CCK is objectively awesome. It's also simple to use, requires no landing, grappling, or anything like that.

The faster one, the Shrimpy Truffle flies at the speed of 82mph, also indefinitely. Not only that, it even grants a damage bonus. That thing is overwhelmingly powerful. It not only frees up your accessory slot, it grants a damage boost that almost equals a damage accessory in itself. That is simply objectively better. The only downside of the Shrimpy Truffle that it is an Expert drop from a boss that is 10x more aggressive than the Moonlord.

Okay, first of all, I understand that you are trying to offend me currently in a really elaborate way. It's not working.
I stopped reading there. I am not trying to offend you and you need to cool it. Whatever you're reading in my posts, it isn't there. End of story.
I won't be replying here anymore, since it's obviously not going to lead anywhere. Have a chill pill and good day.

Back
Top Bottom