Weapons & Equip New set bonus for Bee Armour

What set bonus do you think would be the best?

• Bees that fight for you spawn when you attack an enemy.

• A friendly bee/hornet that doesn't use a minion slot will attack nearby enemies.

• Hives rotate around you and burst into bees upon getting hit.

• A permanent swarm of bees protects you from enemies.

• Bee related gear is boosted.

Results are only viewable after voting.
But at that stage wouldn't you use Titanium or Adamantite if you were playing a different class?
Let's say you're using an adamatite repeater and sanguine bats.

An adamatite repeater with ichor arrows has 177dps at base, a sanguine bat has 32 dps at base.
With adamatite armor the repeater goes up to 266dps, and your 3 free bats add 96dps, for a total of 362dps
With spider armor the repeater is till at 177dps, but now each bat does 41dps, and you get a total of 6 bats for 246dps, totaling to 423dps

Let's say you're using an adamatite repeater and sanguine bats.

An adamatite repeater with ichor arrows has 177dps at base, a sanguine bat has 32 dps at base.
With adamatite armor the repeater goes up to 266dps, and your 3 free bats add 96dps, for a total of 362dps
With spider armor the repeater is till at 177dps, but now each bat does 41dps, and you get a total of 6 bats for 246dps, totaling to 423dps
But that only shows how underpowered ore repeaters are. Imagine using frost armor and Stormbow/Uzi/Onyx blaster. Plus sanguine bats are pretty rare anyways

But that only shows how underpowered ore repeaters are. Imagine using frost armor and Stormbow/Uzi/Onyx blaster. Plus sanguine bats are pretty rare anyways
Ore repeaters aren't really that bad. Of course if you have to compare them to some of the most overpowered pre mech weapons its going to look pretty weak.

Frost armor is roughly on par with adamantite.

Deadleuos stormbow is a completely different beast, it does a lot more damage but it has a big spread, even if you're good at aiming a lot of shots are going to miss

As for the uzi and onyx blaster.
Uzi with ichor bullets has 298 base dps
With adamantite armor that uzi goes up to 416dps, your 3 free bats will add 96dps, for a total of 512dps.
With Frost armor the uzi goes up to 401dps, your 3 free bats will add 96dps, and frostburn2 adds 30dps, totaling to 527dps.
With spider the uzi has 298 dps, but now each bat does 41dps, and you get a total of 6 bats for 246dps, for a total of 544 dps.
Also I find it strange that you complained about the sanguine bats rarity after bringing up the uzi.

Onyx blaster has a bit less theoretical dps than the uzi.

Ore repeaters aren't really that bad. Of course if you have to compare them to some of the most overpowered pre mech weapons its going to look pretty weak.

Deadleuos stormbow is a completely different beast, it does a lot more damage but it has a big spread, even if you're good at aiming a lot of shots are going to miss

With adamantite armor that uzi goes up to 416dps, your 3 free bats will add 96dps, for a total of 512dps.
With Frost armor the uzi goes up to 401dps, your 3 free bats will add 96dps, and frostburn2 adds 30dps, totaling to 527dps.
With spider the uzi has 298 dps, but now each bat does 41dps, and you get a total of 6 bats for 246dps, for a total of 544 dps.
Also I find it strange that you complained about the sanguine bats rarity after bringing up the uzi.

For the Onyx Blaster, the DPS changes depending on how many of the bullets (including the black one) hit the enemy. Also I kinda want to get back to talking about buffing Bee Armour.

I said it because pre 1.4.1 it is really rare and hard to get, and all other minions are pretty trashy/rare anyways (ex spider, pirate, optic, and blade), but in 1.4.1 it has been a lot easier to get and I totally forgot

The minion rarity thing is a pretty big issue, thank god re-logic fixed it

I said it because pre 1.4.1 it is really rare and hard to get, and all other minions are pretty trashy/rare anyways (ex spider, pirate, optic, and blade), but in 1.4.1 it has been a lot easier to get and I totally forgot

The minion rarity thing is a pretty big issue, thank god re-logic fixed it
I wouldn't call Spider trashy. It can't jump very high or stay latched on to flying enemies, but apart from that it's excellent. I think that the Pirate Staff isn't very good compared to other minions at its tier (pre-mech) when it comes to single-target DPS and should be much less rare than it is now, and the Optic Staff seems very underwhelming compared to some minions that come before it (Sanguine, Spider and Blade).
Bee Armor needs to buff minions more. So give it 2% damage increase for every summon you have.
Yes, and increase the summon damage increase a little bit.

No I didn't mean your proposed summon damage increase per minion. I meant the current percent-based increase that is not affected by how many minions are summoned. (Right now it's 23%, the wiki page says it)

In order to increase Bee Armor’s damage to be more worthwhile than any whip boosts Obsidian Armor could offer, you’d have to stack up some pretty significant damage for prehardmode. Obsidian is good because it allows summoners to use whips to a good effect, which are hugely important prehardmode, so summoners would likely go for Obsidian either way.

I would add something to Bee to encourage hybrid builds - they already wouldn’t benefit as much from Obsidian Armor’s whip boosts and would likely want something for a different weapon. I would make the set bonus a 10% buff to all damage rather than just summon damage, encouraging players to use it as a hybrid set and giving it a niche against Obsidian while keeping the minion buffs where they are.

I wouldn't call Spider trashy. It can't jump very high or stay latched on to flying enemies, but apart from that it's excellent. I think that the Pirate Staff isn't very good compared to other minions at its tier (pre-mech) when it comes to single-target DPS and should be much less rare than it is now, and the Optic Staff seems very underwhelming compared to some minions that come before it (Sanguine, Spider and Blade).

Yes, and increase the summon damage increase a little bit.
Yes, I meant that; it is pretty bad against bosses unless you place walls everywhere

In order to increase Bee Armor’s damage to be more worthwhile than any whip boosts Obsidian Armor could offer, you’d have to stack up some pretty significant damage for prehardmode. Obsidian is good because it allows summoners to use whips to a good effect, which are hugely important prehardmode, so summoners would likely go for Obsidian either way.

I would add something to Bee to encourage hybrid builds - they already wouldn’t benefit as much from Obsidian Armor’s whip boosts and would likely want something for a different weapon. I would make the set bonus a 10% buff to all damage rather than just summon damage, encouraging players to use it as a hybrid set and giving it a niche against Obsidian while keeping the minion buffs where they are.
I think that that's a good idea. But the problem with simple stat increase set bonuses is they can't be on par with other armour at the same tier that have better stats without making the stats essentially identical, but armour with set bonus that do something other than stats (Palladium, Orichalcum, Titanium, Hallowed, Chlorophyte, Spectre, and the endgame armours) are perhaps harder to balance but can be good while being unique and perhaps offering something that is useful in a strategic way for the next boss(es).

Idk how I feel about this. I'd need to start a new playthrough to really feel how Obsidian and Bee armors compare. Glancing at the current stats and points in progression, maybe what really needs to happen is Obsidian Armor needs to be taken down a notch in terms of progression. To do this, replace the requirement of Shadow Scales with Demonite Bars and Tissue Samples with Crimtane Bars. This would move it from post-EoW/BoC to post-EoC.

Some Bee Armor set bonus ideas in the meantime:
  • A young queen bee mistakes you for one of her subjects, following and protecting you.
    • Initially attacks by ramming into the enemy, dealing a burst of damage.
    • Follows up with rapid-fire stingers that inflict the poison debuff.
  • Whip attack releases 1 bee for each enemy struck.
  • Honey Comb accessory gains +1 bee released when hit (total 2-4 in journey/classic, 2-5 in expert/master).
  • Honey buff gets +0.5hp/s bonus (total 1.5hp/s), 4x regen acceleration (instead of 3x), and -3dmg/s from DoT debuffs like Venom (instead of -2dmg/s).
  • Bees from broken Bee Hives and Hive blocks will not attack the wearer.

Idk how I feel about this. I'd need to start a new playthrough to really feel how Obsidian and Bee armors compare. Glancing at the current stats and points in progression, maybe what really needs to happen is Obsidian Armor needs to be taken down a notch in terms of progression. To do this, replace the requirement of Shadow Scales with Demonite Bars and Tissue Samples with Crimtane Bars. This would move it from post-EoW/BoC to post-EoC.

You got it backwards - Obsidian Armor is the much more powerful one and we’re trying to make Bee Armor worthwhile compared to it, not the other way around. Making Obsidian come earlier only makes this worse, as it’s just even easier to get Obsidian before Bee even comes into play.

Obsidian’s 1 fewer minion really is a small downside compared to the enormous boosts to whips.

Some Bee Armor set bonus ideas in the meantime:
  • A young queen bee mistakes you for one of her subjects, following and protecting you.
    • Initially attacks by ramming into the enemy, dealing a burst of damage.
    • Follows up with rapid-fire stingers that inflict the poison debuff.
  • Whip attack releases 1 bee for each enemy struck.
  • Honey Comb accessory gains +1 bee released when hit (total 2-4 in journey/classic, 2-5 in expert/master).
  • Honey buff gets +0.5hp/s bonus (total 1.5hp/s), 4x regen acceleration (instead of 3x), and -3dmg/s from DoT debuffs like Venom (instead of -2dmg/s).
  • Bees from broken Bee Hives and Hive blocks will not attack the wearer.
The first one is just my first idea
If you switch the second one whip for minions, it's Dreadnatulius's original idea (spectral armor for summoners)

Back
Top Bottom