new to pc version.

Soapstone

Terrarian
last i played terraria, i played the ps3 version 2 yrs ago. i just got myself a new pc and pc gaming for the first time with steam and had a friend gift me terraria.

come to find out the game is quite a bit different from the console version i played, more content, harder (even on normal mode), new monsters, etc.

i dont know how multiplayer works, i am a limited steam member until i get a stupid steam wallet so i cant add anyone to my friends list, they have to add me, atm. can anyone give me advice as to how to survive in the brave new world of terraria PC? i know how to play the game, i am just not used to dying so often due to the new monsters. in the desert, snow region, and deep underground.

advice would be great!

i am a limited steam member until i get a stupid steam wallet
You don't need any money in the wallet once you have the game. Just post your steam name here(or the quick hook-up section), and you should have some people adding you on steam. Not me though.

can anyone give me advice as to how to survive in the brave new world of terraria PC?
There's a pretty comprehensive beginner's guide by Xylia. Don't think it's updated to the latest version yet, but the general tips should work.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fresh-newbie-to-late-game-guide-wip.691/

And yet you're struggling with common mobs. Give it a look. You might learn tricks you never knew before. You shouldn't have much to lose anyway.

i got the controls down finally, it was tough switching from a controller setup to K+M setup, but i have it down now.

so the new stuff to me are eskimo zombies, the flying antlion swarmers, the wall crawler, the granite areas and the monsters that inhabit them, the marble areas, the ice slimes, the flying fish, the rain, vikings; almost everything in the game is new to me. i am used to the maneaters, normal slimes and those worms that appear while you are underground, but i think i have been in a corrupted area a couple times and that did not go very well.

right now i am working on getting the iron armor set. i deleted the world i had started in, a large world, due to not having a lucky day in it. i did get a lot of gold and made me the golden pickaxe, hammer and axe made. i have a silver helmet, which i am saving for completing the silver armor down the road. i am using a zombie arm for my melee weapon atm, as it does 13 dmg. my current world is now a small one. my character is set for softcore, the world is set for normal.
[DOUBLEPOST=1440880342,1440880155][/DOUBLEPOST]
And yet you're struggling with common mobs. Give it a look. You might learn tricks you never knew before. You shouldn't have much to lose anyway.

they arent common to me as the last version i played on ps3 was version 1.08ish i believe

eskimo zombies
The same idiot zombies you see anywhere.

flying antlion swarmers
Admittedly new, but not really that much different than the soul eaters in the corruption, if you ask me. The charger though, that's a crippled version of wolf(HM).

wall crawler
Spiders? All of them have the same A.I. One move works for all. High knockback and/or high RoF weapons work best, by the way.

the granite areas and the monsters that inhabit them
Two new mobs. One being a piss poor floating stone you can easily knockdown, and another more or less like a zombie.

the marble areas
OK, you have some excuse for grievance in this area. Even veterans are calling medusa the worst of cheap shots in the game.

By common I meant anything that isn't a boss.

Honestly, most of them should use fighter A.I.s and some variants. Some hit harder than most, but remember, the dirt block is in your hands, not theirs, and it is the single most OP weapon against no-clip mobs. And none of the wall-clip mobs should have too much of knockback resistance, so you can fend them off easily.

If you can't win, run. Get a better gear and make them pay at a later date.

i have no idea what no-clip and wall-clip mean.

reading through the guide i am confused, it states there are 2 world types now? i really dont get this.

also new to me is the fact that i feel totally blind now. in the console edition you could see the map around you a good ways, even when mining, in the pc version, you cant see past you at all when mining to know when you are near a cavern.

the spiders usually are getting me as i fall through the web and they keep hitting me and it doesnt take many hits to kill me off. i am just pretty weak right now.

also got a mining helmet and trying to deal with the disadvantage of not having the complete defense i need as i explore and mine new areas as i throw torches on the wall as i go.

no-clip and wall-clip
No-clip = can't go through solid blocks. You'll find this to be the case with your character, and most enemy mobs.
Wall-clip = the ability to go through solid blocks. Bosses and a few rare mobs exhibit this ability.

2 world types now
Normal world, and Expert world. And the second one, as the name indicates, is meant for experts. In expert world, the mobs and bosses will have boosted stats and A.I.

Also, if you're from 1.0.8(or something), corruption isn't the only evil biome now. There's a 50/50 chance for another biome to replace the corruption in a world when generated.

I can't really explain that much more about the game without going to the wiki, which I would suggest you check out as well. Might want to start from the major changelogs.

so the corruption i am used to is the ebonstone and the dark withered areas, the corruption i am seeing is orangy and what looks like cacodaemons from doom walking around along with the flying creatures that i kinda recognize. is this the other corrupted area you are talking about?

so the corruption i am used to is the ebonstone and the dark withered areas, the corruption i am seeing is orangy and what looks like cacodaemons from doom walking around along with the flying creatures that i kinda recognize. is this the other corrupted area you are talking about?

Yes, that is the Crimson. You won't find any ebonstone or Corruption, or its enemies, in your current world.

ah no wonder things looked kinda different. i finally got a normal corruption world, it is a medium world, just finished building a house.

are things a little harder in a crimson world compared to corrupted? or is it the same difficulty if they are set on normal?

ah no wonder things looked kinda different. i finally got a normal corruption world, it is a medium world, just finished building a house.

are things a little harder in a crimson world compared to corrupted? or is it the same difficulty if they are set on normal?
Same difficulty. Some people say Crimson gear is better than Corruption, but I find it reverse. Also, Brain of Cthulhu (and the whole Crimson Biome) is more difficult than Eater of Worlds (and the Corruption), but they can both have the same cheese weakness- they keep attacking where you died after you die. Brain of Cthulhu can leave the Crimson, while the Eater despawns if you try this. You played it two years ago on console? Then you've got two more major updates worth of content- 1.2 and 1.3.

i know, it feels like a whole new game to me.
You should friend a TCF member who's experienced in the PC platform, and ask to play with them.

Or alternatively, if you want to go into the game blindly for the best possible self-learning experience, do that. It's your choice.

i couldnt even defeat wall of flesh on my own on the console version, so i will have to go multiplayer at some point

Back
Top Bottom