Biomes & Nature New tree shape for Crimson and Corruption

VaeVictis

Skeletron
Hi I'm new here, but I thought about this, it's just a "visual suggestion" nothing big, but every biome has it's own tree, except for Crimson and Corruption which looks just like a normal tree but with different colour.

just saying corruption and crimson would look better with a new more "scary" looking tree...

what do you think?

That's a good point, actually. Never really thought about it before, but this has my support. But you never know, maybe more tree varieties for C&C will come with v1.3 :dryadwink:

Yeah, I'd really like to see this, since the trees in the background of both biomes look a lot different from the actual trees you cut down.

On the downside, it might be hard to fit branchier, more unique tree shapes into the current template without recoding how their tiles are laid out since the current tree shapes are bound to tile size, especially considering trees have pretty strict growth limitations based on horizontal proximity to one another. It also might be hard to procedurally generate more complex silhouettes from bits and pieces the way trees are currently, and retain a smoother, more natural look.

It's a great idea, but it might be a bit harder in practice than one would initially expect. I MAY try a hand at spriting some unique biome trees within the current tile limitations if I can figure it out, just to see if it's possible, but I can't promise anything.

Edit: Okay, just threw this together as a test, but I have NO idea how to actually make a Texturepack because the one tutorial for it kinda leaves that out, so I have no idea how this actually looks in practice.
Tiles_5_0-2-re.png
Tree_Tops_1-re.png
Tree_Branches_1-re.png

Last edited:
It's a great idea, but it might be a bit harder in practice than one would initially expect. I MAY try a hand at spriting some unique biome trees within the current tile limitations if I can figure it out, just to see if it's possible, but I can't promise anything.

Edit: Okay, just threw this together as a test, but I have NO idea how to actually make a Texturepack because the one tutorial for it kinda leaves that out, so I have no idea how this actually looks in practice.

"always a catch" even with simple ideas, but looks awesome! though :O

I never had a problem with the crimson trees, but the corruption ones could do with a revamp, given that the base Terraria tree expanded into 6 variants

Please post that texture pack somewhere. They're wonderful. :D
They're not quite a texturepack, they're just the files I uploaded put through TCCL. Gonna hafta rename the Corruption ones, though, since I uploaded those when they were still placeholder names for trying to convert.

Again, I just spent a long time trying to figure out how to do a png-to-xnb conversion and I wasn't able to find a way that actually works because there aren't any good explanations around for an idiot like me for how to get those programs working properly. :dryadtongue:;; If someone else with that knowhow wants to do it, feel free!

I'd assume they're passable as his standards as an artist. We tend to judge ourselves much more severely than others.

I'd have to assume. That's my problem, at least.

In any case, I'd have to agree that they look fine, especially the leaves.

both much better than the retextures I've been using at least, :p
PASSABLE? Those are nice!
I'd assume they're passable as his standards as an artist. We tend to judge ourselves much more severely than others.

I'd have to assume. That's my problem, at least.

In any case, I'd have to agree that they look fine, especially the leaves.
Pretty much, haha. I'm not normally too hyper-critical of my sprites since I'm still sorta 'new' at them and don't practice them nearly as much as I could, but some of the problems with these are readily apparent to me; lots of jaggies, specifically, and a few shading issues, particularly where things get narrow. It's a bit difficult to maintain outlines on small details, especially spines if you want them to be a bit curved.

I'm pretty happy with the tree tops and the branches, not so much with the trunks, but mainly on the account that you can't control how the procedural generation pieces the trunk bits together, so the 'additions' of the things like the vines or the thorns can look a bit awkward. Can't make them look MUCH more organic taking into consideration the fact they get tiled together randomly. I'm growing more fond of the Corruption trees, though the vines on the Crimson ones are still a bit meh. Wondering how to do 'em better with the tiny allotment of space provided by the individual tiles...

Anyhow, @BlueWolf was nice enough to convert these all to XNB! For the time being, I've rehosted them to DA Sta.sh just in case he doesn't want unnecessary Dropbox traffic, so if you want these textures to swap in, you can get them here!

11742490464752762880_2015-01-26_00002.png

Yeah, now that I look closely I can see some issues with your outlines and where they break, especially around curves, but you're fine as far as shading goes.

Back
Top Bottom