PC No Meowmere? ;_;

Yeah, getting all the moonlord's drops is a big pain in the arse for sure. Since he can drop 9 different items it might take a while for a specific item to drop. You can defeat him a hundred times and still don't get the Meowmere if you're unlucky enough.

If you're getting tired of it, I'd say trade for it. I ended up trading some other moon lord drops for a couple of SDMGs since they never seemed to drop for me. Meanwhile I'm drowning in those sucky Celebrations. :D (Well, not anymore anyway, I sold them all.)

Video or it didn't happen.

Or at least kill counter starting number and kill counter final number for all mobs that can drop the item you seek.

If anyone can farm 500 dark mummies on expert and not get a blindfold you might have a case. Statistically some portion won't see it in their first 100 and a very small portion won't see it in their first 200. Even on normal mode the tails are much longer and ~500 you approach the point where less than 1% of the population will not have found the 1% drop.

With just 100,000 players that is still 1000 people -- and who makes threads, happy people or upset people?

Dungeon drops on normal you could kill 500 and still 20% of the population will not have found one of X. Now if x is the only item they are after they will remember that, but not all the other stuff that dropped with maybe the same odds.

I am sure there are other calculators, but this was high on google if you want to see the like-hood of an event given X attempts:
http://www.danielsoper.com/statcalc3/calc.aspx?id=71

Or at least kill counter starting number and kill counter final number for all mobs that can drop the item you seek.

If anyone can farm 500 dark mummies on expert and not get a blindfold you might have a case. Statistically some portion won't see it in their first 100 and a very small portion won't see it in their first 200. Even on normal mode the tails are much longer and ~500 you approach the point where less than 1% of the population will not have found the 1% drop.

With just 100,000 players that is still 1000 people -- and who makes threads, happy people or upset people?

Dungeon drops on normal you could kill 500 and still 20% of the population will not have found one of X. Now if x is the only item they are after they will remember that, but not all the other stuff that dropped with maybe the same odds.

I am sure there are other calculators, but this was high on google if you want to see the like-hood of an event given X attempts:
I don't need to prove anything to you. Especially when :red:loads of other people are experiencing the same. I've had playthroughs where certain items have taken way longer to drop than they should have. Bone Wand, for example. The Angry Bones killcount was over five :red:ing hundred before it dropped. Can't remember the killcount of the other enemies in the dungeon.

Instances like these have never happened to me in my 600 hours. Not in all of the items I've grinded for: Paladin's Hammer, Nazar, Rod of Discord, etc.

Can anyone confirm they are having the same issue as Kardfogu?
I never grinded for the Paladin's Hammer, 'cause it was awfully weak in 1.2.4.1 and there's no reason to do so even now as there are better weapons that are easier to obtain, anyways, I can't recall seeing it often in my 300+ hours.
Nazar is something I always grind prehardmode, as such, it's a quite common drop for me so I can't tell the difference.

Rod of Discord... ...I can't name anyone who got a Rod of Discord without a completely automatic AFK farm.

I don't need to prove anything to you. Especially when :red:loads of other people are experiencing the same. I've had playthroughs where certain items have taken way longer to drop than they should have. Bone Wand, for example. The Angry Bones killcount was over five :red:ing hundred before it dropped. Can't remember the killcount of the other enemies in the dungeon.
^This. It's not just a couple of people experiencing it, it's like half of the community.

What are you talking about? Kill counters? I farmed those items back in time, way before 1.3 was implemented and I'll never repeat those farms for the above mentioned reasons. Again, before 1.3 there was no expert mode.
Not to mention I won't record, convert and upload 10 hours of vitamin farming in the underground crimson for you, even if you ask me nicely.

You might have had a point there, but nope. Not just a thousand people thinks the farming is insane, quite the contrary, only a couple of thousand people have fully automated AFK farms running for hours while they work/study, those are the people who have no problem with the RNG. Everyone else you ask - if you ever ask someone - will say, it's crazy and nowhere even close to random.

Random is if something happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Well, if something doesn't happen for hours and then happens multiple times in a row, that's not random. That's poorly written code.

p.s.: I wonder if [Peppe] would watch all the 10 hours of vitamin farming if I'd record, convert and upload it...

The wiki says that is a .4%, so %14 of people won't find it in their first 500 kills. So maybe you were unlucky, but certainly not outside the realm of RNG.

If it was expert and the drop is right you are in the 1.8% range. Certainly getting into the unlucky range, but in a large population someone has to be in that group...

I never grinded for the Paladin's Hammer, 'cause it was awfully weak in 1.2.4.1 and there's no reason to do so even now as there are better weapons that are easier to obtain, anyways, I can't recall seeing it often in my 300+ hours.
Nazar is something I always grind prehardmode, as such, it's a quite common drop for me so I can't tell the difference.

Rod of Discord... ...I can't name anyone who got a Rod of Discord without a completely automatic AFK farm.

^This. It's not just a couple of people experiencing it, it's like half of the community.

What are you talking about? Kill counters? I farmed those items back in time, way before 1.3 was implemented and I'll never repeat those farms for the above mentioned reasons. Again, before 1.3 there was no expert mode.
Not to mention I won't record, convert and upload 10 hours of vitamin farming in the underground crimson for you, even if you ask me nicely.

You might have had a point there, but nope. Not just a thousand people thinks the farming is insane, quite the contrary, only a couple of thousand people have fully automated AFK farms running for hours while they work/study, those are the people who have no problem with the RNG. Everyone else you ask - if you ever ask someone - will say, it's crazy and nowhere even close to random.

Random is if something happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Well, if something doesn't happen for hours and then happens multiple times in a row, that's not random. That's poorly written code.

p.s.: I wonder if [Peppe] would watch all the 10 hours of vitamin farming if I'd record, convert and upload it...

Ok, run a poll of everyone and confirm your stat they all have problems with the RNG.

RNG is RNG -- the code they use is not complex and is the same pseudo random .Net apps/games often use to approximate random. True random is computation intense and generally only used in cryptography. Basically, they defer the randomness to .Net like many others have done. The .Net randomness has been vetted.

Not finding an item for 200 kills and then finding multiples in the next 10 kills does not mean RNG is broken. Sample size is key to statistics you don't arbitraily cut it off at say 210 when you find your second drop and say I got it at 200 and 210 RNG is broken. To prove it is not random enough you would need to track many thousands of kills and show hey in 100,000 floaty gross kills I expected 1000 drops but only got 500. I won't bother to calculate the standard deviation, but say if it is within 800-1200. Then hey maybe it is within the expected outcomes and there is no issue or maybe your single run is only two standard deviations away, so unlikely but not impossible.

Bottom line you can go even one hour without vitamins dropping in a reasonable crimson farm I'd be surprised much less 10. I would go by kill counters over time since my idea of a good farm might be different than yours. I'm generally limited by obsidian shields (without world hopping) and Nazars when I go to make an Ahnk shield.

Nazar is basically the only difficult Ahnk material since the spawn rate of the mob you need is so low, but every other Ahnk material is very easy to get in well under an hour. Just go to the correct location and maximize kill rate.

Last edited:

Honestly, your complaining over one of the biggest game mechanics. If there were guaranteed after 200 kills or so drops, then I wouldn't enjoy terraria as much. I enjoy the current feeling when you do get a rare drop and it just feels great. Another thing, how is half the community 2 people arguing about it? I've seen like, 5 or so threads complaining about this. Around 10 people in these 5 threads were complaining. I don't see how this statistic turns into half the community, like peppe said if you believe this run a poll.

blablabla
RNG is RNG -- the code they use is not complex and is the same pseudo random .Net apps/games often use to approximate random.
blablabla
Nuff said. You just repeated how poorly written it is. The problem is right there. Using XNA and .NET in any game is the source of all evil. As I said, poorly written code. Anything that relies on Microsoft code is poorly written. That easy.

Okay, statistics, you want statistics. You want a poll.
Okay, what? Run a poll? Really? Out of millions of Terraria players a couple of thousand reads the forums sometimes and out of them only a couple of dozens may read the topic. Does that make any sense?
What's the chance of having any stable statistic from that? Almost nothing.
Instead of reading what people are talking to each other, you want to base your opinion on something that noone's going to see. Well done.

I had the same problem, but for me it was the last prism that would never drop (I got the Meowmere on my second kill, and then I got at least three more before I stopped counting them). Sometimes I wonder if there actually is something wrong with Terraria's random number generator, and its not just us.

As the skepticists can see, the number of people who question the randomness in the .net and XNA based RNG is growing. The number of those who believe in microsoft code based RNG being random is not growing. Just sayin'.
If I weren't working as a system administrator and I had no clue about programming in C I'd say I might be wrong.
The thing is, I write software in C sometimes, I work as a system administrator and I've seen random. Even played hundreds of other games, finished most, heck I'm 25 and I live at my grandma, I have time to play games.
You know what's random? About 400 hours in Borderlands says it is pretty random. After 600 hours of Diablo I can confidently say it is random. After 800 hours of Torchlight, I can confirm it is random - and generous.
Terraria is nothing like that when it comes to drops.

Maybe in terraria otherworld, or 2, but highly doubt in the base game. I'll probably stop playing if they remove RNG, because then its just like "Oh I got the rod of discord. Oh I got 10 broken hero swords. Oh I got a raven staff"

Maybe in terraria otherworld, or 2, but highly doubt in the base game. I'll probably stop playing if they remove RNG, because then its just like "Oh I got the rod of discord. Oh I got 10 broken hero swords. Oh I got a raven staff"
I don't want them to completely remove randomness, I'd just like it if it wasn't so prevalent throughout the game since it's pretty consistent in it's ability to screw you over.

Reactions: Nev
I don't want them to completely remove randomness, I'd just like it if it wasn't so prevalent throughout the game since it's pretty consistent in it's ability to screw you over.

In every playthrough I've done I've never been screwed over by RNG, I always end up getting most of the drops I'm looking for through general gameplay.

In every playthrough I've done I've never been screwed over by RNG, I always end up getting most of the drops I'm looking for through general gameplay.
Well I guess you're lucky then. In my last play through, I remember the only rare drops that ended up being easy to get were always the ones I didn't really care for, and often when there was a drop that I really wanted I would never get it at all, or only get it after hours of grinding.

Like any other software's, Terraria's code is constantly changing with every single version, old, badly written code being thrown out and being replaced with better code as the developer learns ways to improve the coding.
It all depends on how the code is written, if it is modular enough it's not that hard.
It might be a work of ~10 minutes if they just forgot to replace the old RNG with a better. It might be almost impossible if Redigit never considered replacing it in the first place.

Lucky you, nice to meet ya. Ice biome items always laught at me, Lucky Horseshoe is something I haven't found in multiple worlds for a while out of pure bad luck. At that point, RNG had nothing to do with, I believe that was just bad luck truly. Not to mention Pyramids, another piece of pure bad luck.

Sniper scopes always take hours of farming, that is my number #1 reason why I'll never ever repeat a full playthrough with ranger.
Ankh shield, I farmed for one only once just to try if it is that good as everyone states. Too bad it's completely useless and it took me more than ~20 hours active ingame time to get one. Shameless pro tip: Dodge > Ankh Shield. At least I'll never have to repeat that farm in any of my playthroughs. =^-^=
Master Ninja Gear > Ankh Shield

Back
Top Bottom