Game Mechanics NO MORE CHEST ROOMS: I want better item storage solutions!

Jurgie

Terrarian
One thing that I have always really hated in games is inventory management. You know what I'm talking about - moving items from my inventory into chests, keeping everything organized (or spending several minutes looking for that one item, if you don't bother organizing items). It is. So. Tedious.

When I play Terraria, I want to explore, fight bosses, and find awesome loot - every minute I spend organizing my inventory is time I could have potentially spent doing something more fun. Spending 45 minutes to make a big room full of chests was only ever fun once.

I want to be able to have one big storage container for all my items, so I don't have to go looking through 20 different chests for some blinkroot. I want to be able to open that big storage container and type in a search bar "blinkroot" (or whatever) and have all my blinkroot stacks show up so I can just grab them and go. Item filters would also be nice (show only accessories, sort from A to Z, etc.) but the main point I'm making is just to have storage be streamlined and take up as little of my time as possible.

I mean, we have some features that already go a ways to treat this problem: things like quick stacking to nearby chests and the void bag come to mind. But it's just... not enough. Clicking through multiple chests and walking between a bunch of different crafting stations is just fundamentally time-consuming.

What inspired me to make this post is that I played with the "Magic Storage" mod for the first time the other day, and it really hit me how badly vanilla Terraria needs this. Not to say Magic Storage is completely perfect, but it was going a long, long way to make the game a better experience for me. I wasn't just saving a few seconds here and there - I had gotten rid of an artificial obstacle that in turn made the game more fun to play.

Considering that one of the guidelines for game suggestion posts in this forum is "respecting the players time," does Terraria not deserve this time-saving, headache reducing feature?

I suggest using bigger chest! Both literally and storage wise. Like, a chest is 2x2 blocks, so a 4x4 tile chest should be 4x the storage. Which is 160 items. Alternatively, the LONG chest which is predictably 2x4 and with 80 storage. Or for SUPER storage problems!..- The dragon's hord chest. A 6x6 largchest which is pretty big, and which would hold 360 items!!! Honestly, if I knew how to make mods at all, I'd make this into a mod or something. Because this really needs to happen. You could use these as overflow chest or for "to be sorted" type of issues. Also I find that even though they're passed their usefullness for some reason I am a horder. I keep all the weapons and accessories that I don't use any more which means I have to make whole sections of chest rooms dedicated to just those things. It's annoying and I really think a bigger chest would help.

If you really dislike the storage mechanics in Classic Terraria, I highly recommend Journey Mode. There's a research and duplication minigame attached, that practically makes Storage Containers obsolete. Once you get a certain amount of an item, you never have to farm, mine or go searching for it ever again, saving tons of IRL hours.

E se os desenvolvedores desenvolveram um item de arame, que serve para gerenciar armazenamento. Conecte um baú a outro usando a interface "troca de baús" e todos os itens trocarão de baú!
Ou você pode colocar baús um sobre o outro, multiplicando seu inventario

If you really dislike the storage mechanics in Classic Terraria, I highly recommend Journey Mode. There's a research and duplication minigame attached, that practically makes Storage Containers obsolete. Once you get a certain amount of an item, you never have to farm, mine or go searching for it ever again, saving tons of IRL hours.
But I like expert mode :(

disagree, i genuinely find it very relaxing and meditative to set up my chests in the perfect organizing way that i absolutely love, its very satisfying having my own way of organizing things that just. fits perfectly! and with quick stack to nearby chests having been buffed, + void vault quick stacking to chests as well, i think theres a lot to work with!
also, shimmer decraft some of your items like walls, chandeliers, bars, etc to get more space!

but like, for real, i find it really relaxing to spend time setting up an organization system, it feels so satisfying and... mm, it tickles my brain in just the right way!

I also find it relaxing to organize all my chests. I name them for certain categories, color-code them once the Painter arrives, and if I have a surplus of a certain kind of chest (namely Gold Chests from Underground) I'll even swap out all my assorted chest types so they all have the same shape. Now I have a clean, neat, organized set of chests, and I know the light green one is for herbs/plants and the red one is for weapons and the gray one is for blocks and so on and so forth. I slow down once to do this whole thing and now I don't need to spent forever digging through random chests anymore.

I also find it relaxing to organize all my chests. I name them for certain categories, color-code them once the Painter arrives, and if I have a surplus of a certain kind of chest (namely Gold Chests from Underground) I'll even swap out all my assorted chest types so they all have the same shape. Now I have a clean, neat, organized set of chests, and I know the light green one is for herbs/plants and the red one is for weapons and the gray one is for blocks and so on and so forth. I slow down once to do this whole thing and now I don't need to spent forever digging through random chests anymore.
disagree, i genuinely find it very relaxing and meditative to set up my chests in the perfect organizing way that i absolutely love, its very satisfying having my own way of organizing things that just. fits perfectly! and with quick stack to nearby chests having been buffed, + void vault quick stacking to chests as well, i think theres a lot to work with!
also, shimmer decraft some of your items like walls, chandeliers, bars, etc to get more space!

but like, for real, i find it really relaxing to spend time setting up an organization system, it feels so satisfying and... mm, it tickles my brain in just the right way!
I Also Also Find it Super duper relaxing. Using the mod magic storage Feels just wrong in a way. I love organizing so much that I made even a Planed out a chest storage that took hours upon hours to figure out. I counted every item on the wiki... It's not perfect but it's close. It can easily last you to end game. You can Find it here: Terraria: Craziest Chest Sorting.

Just use different types of chests so you immediately know at a glance which is which. For example, a water chest for fishing stuff or a gold chest for ores. Plus, I assume this is an intended game limitation

So no, Ill have to disagree. A "double chest" (like minecraft) might be okay but definitely no more than that. But then we run into the issue of how do they merge? I suppose the simple answer is they have to be the same type of chest, meaning if you dont want them to merge you can alternate, but what if you want to use the same type of chest and not have them merge? Also these double chests would all need new sprites.

Last edited:
disagree, i genuinely find it very relaxing and meditative to set up my chests in the perfect organizing way that i absolutely love
"I like something, so you have to as well" is not a good argument. In addition, as long as regular storage as it is now wasn't removed, which I doubt it would be, those of us that actually enjoy having seventy chests would lose nothing. That said, I'm personally not really on board with the magic storage solution. I would support another solution though, like chests that can contain more items. Terraria's storage was designed when it had significantly fewer items to store, and it hasn't changed much or at all since. Quick stack was a great addition, though.

I've had to redesign my "at least one of each item in the game" rooms with each final update because new stuff keeps getting added. They've gotten huge now, and with another update coming we're, of course, getting even more items. Even in a normal playthrough the chest rooms keep getting larger and larger. Item counts have been buffed so I see no problem with buffing storage solutions too. Upgrading chests so they can hold 60-80 items, or double chests that can hold 100 items, or something like that.

"I like something, so you have to as well" is not a good argument. In addition, as long as regular storage as it is now wasn't removed, which I doubt it would be, those of us that actually enjoy having seventy chests would lose nothing. That said, I'm personally not really on board with the magic storage solution. I would support another solution though, like chests that can contain more items. Terraria's storage was designed when it had significantly fewer items to store, and it hasn't changed much or at all since. Quick stack was a great addition, though.

I've had to redesign my "at least one of each item in the game" rooms with each final update because new stuff keeps getting added. They've gotten huge now, and with another update coming we're, of course, getting even more items. Even in a normal playthrough the chest rooms keep getting larger and larger. Item counts have been buffed so I see no problem with buffing storage solutions too. Upgrading chests so they can hold 60-80 items, or double chests that can hold 100 items, or something like that.
Except double chests would take up the same amout of space as two individual chests. The only benefit is being able to access both from one UI

Except double chests would take up the same amout of space as two individual chests. The only benefit is being able to access both from one UI
Chests contain 40 items. I suggested double chests that can hold 100 items, 20 more than two individual chests. The exact numbers would all be up to the devs, should they decide to implement something like this. Also, a way to make it up to the player whether they should merge would be to make them craftable with two chests.

I love the journey mode, but it would be nice to have our character carry up to 10 pages of items... The t mode loader mod that does this seems to not work properly for me or has it been updated properly?

I love the journey mode, but it would be nice to have our character carry up to 10 pages of items... The t mode loader mod that does this seems to not work properly for me or has it been updated properly?
I shouldn't need to tell you why we can't do that.

Back
Top Bottom