Game Mechanics No more Zombies on our Roofs!

Yo, calm the hell down. We don’t want this thread to get heated or else terrible things happen.
Sure, sure, not get heated up after being blamed for spreading misinformation and then getting lectured about how this is a good idea, when it o would rework a core aspect of the game, take the fun out of it, and then only benefit one type of player who really doesn't need to worry about this problem.

I AM NOT SPREADING MISINFORMATION!!
WHERE DID I SAY THAT THE DEVS COMMENTED ON THIS? NEVER!
Sure, sure, not get heated up after being blamed for spreading misinformation and then getting lectured about how this is a good idea, when it o would rework a core aspect of the game, take the fun out of it, and then only benefit one type of player who really doesn't need to worry about this problem.
@Eye-o'-Cthulhu🌳🎃 - if you don't like the suggestion, that is fine. You don't need to be in this thread then.

But this is only one aspect of this feature, and the effects are far more prevalent during events rather than boss fights. So I don't understand what you mean by this wouldn't "call this change"?
I personally don't see this of any use nor would I be thrilled if it were added, this change doesn't impact the game in any meaningful way to me nor do I see it changing up the game as I would like to see for new players. Yes newer players can have that issue, but I feel like there are more abhorrent issues that I would like to see fixed rather than time dedicated to this. Those are my final thoughts.

I would love to see that dungeon example as it seems interesting... :D
video

If you have any sort of walls, enemies can't get in. It was also explained by other people, so I didn't see a need to repeat it.
I can't see anyone who has explained why events are impossible. Again, there is no event in which there are only walking enemies, so I don't understand what you mean by "enemies can't get in"? Of course, the whole point is that this will make it harder for walking enemies to get in if you have built a large castle with walls, for example. But this doesn't make the event impossible, just easier.
Also not listening to criticism that isn't an essay going in depth about the entire thing is ridiculous. You should logically be able to figure it out, without much thought.
What do you mean? I answered your one-line question and other one-line questions with hours of work, making gifs, rewriting, and refining the suggestion.

I should logically be able to figure out issues with this feature without much thought? I'm constantly trying to identify problems and fix them. Just saying that the author of a suggestion should go figure out what is wrong with it isn't helpful.
Not all feedback has to be constructive.
Actually, all feedback has to be constructive; otherwise, the intention is not to contribute to an idea in any sort of positive fashion.
Then that's the same as them just spawning there.
Not really, as it would take significantly more time for them to get to certain parts of the defense, and perhaps certain parts would still be unreachable, even if climbing was a thing.
With this suggestion, you could just build a box in the sky, and be invulnerable. WIth other things,
Building a box in the sky will make anyone invulnerable in pre-hardmode. But in hardmode, there could be dragons and other creatures that can fly through blocks. But this wouldn't change at all with this feature, right?
I AM NOT SPREADING MISINFORMATION!!
WHERE DID I SAY THAT THE DEVS COMMENTED ON THIS? NEVER!
Perhaps there has been a misunderstanding in our conversation
Its like the Devs said, "high effort for low results."
Which Terraria game developer has commented on this, saying "high effort for low result"?
Not on this thread, but they have talked about it sone before
What do you mean by the Devs saying "high effort for low results"?

You have been saying statements like:
It would also make most farms useless and most caves invalid.
Arenas and farms are often floating platforms.
Therefore, by your system, they wouldn't be able to spawn.
If you were not sure what this suggestion is suggesting, then why are you making statements like this?

When were you lectured on why this is a good idea?

I wouldn't say this would rework a core aspect of the game because the idea is to implement this as an addition to the already working spawning system. What would be less fun with this feature implemented? I think this can benefit all types of players.
I personally don't see this of any use nor would I be thrilled if it were added, this change doesn't impact the game in any meaningful way to me nor do I see it changing up the game as I would like to see for new players. Yes newer players can have that issue, but I feel like there are more abhorrent issues that I would like to see fixed rather than time dedicated to this. Those are my final thoughts.
I appreciate how well you are explaining your opinions here, and I do agree that there are more abhorrent issues that need to be fixed. For example, mediumcore drops need to be safe from server restarts. ;)
Wow, that is a very scary tactic!

We have added a new GIF showing how you could easily make any farm in the sky have walking enemies spawn on them if that is of any concern. We've also included a GIF showing how walls would become effective with this feature.

The yellow line represents the surface line, and the red line represents how the checker would move:
1698170026521.gif
1698170049589.gif

My only problem with this is that it isn't really a major issue.
I admire your dedication and persistentce

I will admit it was a little annoying to see ground enemies spawning on a floating island while i was fighting s Mothron

We have added a new GIF showing how you could easily make any farm in the sky have walking enemies spawn on them if that is of any concern. We've also included a GIF showing how walls would become effective with this feature.

The yellow line represents the surface line, and the red line represents how the checker would move:
View attachment 434729View attachment 434731
Im confused. Arent you suggesting enemies not being able to reach places they couldn't reasonably reach, yet also saying how all concerns about it not working are rendered null, by enemies being able to do the exact same thing?

Im confused. Arent you suggesting enemies not being able to reach places they couldn't reasonably reach, yet also saying how all concerns about it not working are rendered null, by enemies being able to do the exact same thing?
We are not trying to add as much realism as we can here; we are trying to enhance the overall positive gameplay experience. To directly answer your first question: No, we are not exactly suggesting that enemies shouldn't be able to reach places they couldn't reasonably reach. We are suggesting exactly what the implementation guideline suggests, and therefore, the consequences of that implementation. This is important because only by considering those consequences can we discuss our concerns and potential refinements.

I can't understand what you mean next. What concerns about what not working have come up? And where have we said that those concerns are rendered null? What do you mean by enemies being able to do the exact same thing?
I feel that just having permanent sentries would accomplish the same thing with less work. Like they had for Terraria: Otherworld.
I'm confused. What would permanent sentries accomplish? Do you feel they could achieve something that this feature would also accomplish? If so, what aspect would be accomplished?

We are not trying to add as much realism as we can here; we are trying to enhance the overall positive gameplay experience. To directly answer your first question: No, we are not exactly suggesting that enemies shouldn't be able to reach places they couldn't reasonably reach. We are suggesting exactly what the implementation guideline suggests, and therefore, the consequences of that implementation. This is important because only by considering those consequences can we discuss our concerns and potential refinements.

I can't understand what you mean next. What concerns about what not working have come up? And where have we said that those concerns are rendered null? What do you mean by enemies being able to do the exact same thing?
The GIF showed the surface line checker counting the platform as a place to spawn.

The GIF showed the surface line checker counting the platform as a place to spawn.
This is correct; the checker moves along the surface if there is no surface line tile above, which in the situation in that GIF results in that platform becoming a part of the surface line. Which in turn results in walking enemies being able to spawn on the platform and anywhere below it. The reason I made this GIF is that some people were concerned that it wouldn't be possible to have farms with walking mobs spawning up in the sky. However, as the GIF shows, it is very possible to make walking mobs spawn wherever you want.

This is working as intended as far as I understand. What are your concerns about this?

Why don't we just make it so that mobs cannot spawn on Player placed blocks?
This would solve this just as well
I'm really glad you asked this question! I think asking why something simpler can't be as good of a solution is exactly the kind of question we should be asking. If it is simpler, less work will have to be done to implement it, and it will be easier to understand.

There might be some problems with making it so that mobs cannot spawn on player-placed blocks.
  • What if we just want to change the terrain around us by placing dirt and such, but still want mobs to be able to spawn? I can envision how the surface can become a rather lifeless place if players construct a lot and work on the surface.
  • Farms will become much harder to construct and many existing farm will stop working, as many farms are made will player-placed blocks.
  • It wouldn't align with what we might expect. I don't think anyone expects that no mobs will be able to spawn just because you placed blocks on the ground. It would feel strange that no mobs would spawn there, as you would expect every mob to be able to get there. This is why I fear such a solution would reduce the immersive feeling.
You might ask: But wouldn't existing farms stop working with the current suggestion? My answer to that is if you somehow have a farm above ground, placing one dirt wall will fix that issue.

Thank you for asking these important questions that need to be thought about, as simpler solutions are always better if they yield the same results. Please continue to consider what a simpler solution might be, as that would be invaluable for improving the suggestion.

I'm really glad you asked this question! I think asking why something simpler can't be as good of a solution is exactly the kind of question we should be asking. If it is simpler, less work will have to be done to implement it, and it will be easier to understand.

There might be some problems with making it so that mobs cannot spawn on player-placed blocks.
  • What if we just want to change the terrain around us by placing dirt and such, but still want mobs to be able to spawn? I can envision how the surface can become a rather lifeless place if players construct a lot and work on the surface.
  • Farms will become much harder to construct and many existing farm will stop working, as many farms are made will player-placed blocks.
  • It wouldn't align with what we might expect. I don't think anyone expects that no mobs will be able to spawn just because you placed blocks on the ground. It would feel strange that no mobs would spawn there, as you would expect every mob to be able to get there. This is why I fear such a solution would reduce the immersive feeling.
You might ask: But wouldn't existing farms stop working with the current suggestion? My answer to that is if you somehow have a farm above ground, placing one dirt wall will fix that issue.

Thank you for asking these important questions that need to be thought about, as simpler solutions are always better if they yield the same results. Please continue to consider what a simpler solution might be, as that would be invaluable for improving the suggestion.
That was actually a really good response

About the way that the hostile NPCs including the Wraith spawn near the base especially in hardmode, it adds challenge, plus it’s been a thing since update version 1.1.
As the Wraith can move through blocks, I can't see why it would be included in the list of enemies affected by this feature. And it is not included now. So, good news for you! The way that Wraiths spawn near your base won't be affected by this feature :D Honestly, I've wanted a way to deal with them for a while, but this feature isn't it.
It just seems like they would kill the mobs before they got to be a problem. I suppose instead of sentries the shield bubble from Terraria: Overworld would also work.
Well, the problem here isn't that walking enemies spawning on roofs make the game too hard. It's that it isn't satisfying to be punished for building these structures and having these monsters take advantage of them! Dying in ways that feel unfair isn't enjoyable either, especially in hardcore and mediumcore modes.

While sentries could be used to kill off monsters on our roofs, it seems like it wouldn't work too well during invasions. Also, it seems like it would make a lot of noise, which is the opposite of what we want here! We want quiet and peace when we are in a castle, for example.

There is a reason I don't build the main base on the surface anymore.
Eventually, there will be many flying enemies or even the one that goes through the wall and slaughters your NPC.
Early on you can place walls on your roof and stop enemies from spawning there, there are a few methods you can use to prevent them from ruining your building aesthetic.
But later on, no amount of building will make your fortress impenetrable. The wall might even be an obstacle.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom