Non-GPU intense games

MournfulRelic

The Destroyer
I have a pretty good computer, 8gb ram and skylake Intel i5 processor, no worries there, but it is an ultra book, which means it has the terrible integrated graphics (500 I think) and I need PC game recommendations for what games are good for this sort of computer.
Things already on my list or that I have:
Terraria
Undertale
Enter the Gungeon
Hyper light drifter
Stardew Valley
Starbound
Prison Architect
Risk of Rain

So if you guys could recommend any more for me, that would be great!

Last edited:
These games barely use the GPU at all. They require a beefy CPU though:

-Fallout 4
-Grand Theft Auto V
-The Sims 3 (this one literally only uses the GPU as a display adapter, it's a CPU killer though)
-Crusader Kings II
-Cities Skylines
-Starbound
-Spore (this one as well)

I doubt your CPU is good enough to run them decently, but you haven't exactly mentioned the model so yeah...

I've tried all of these on a $50 GPU though. Worked fine.

Last edited:
Are you sure there's no secondary GPU in addition to the integrated one? Usually that sort of CPU / integrated graphics are paired with a discrete GPU from AMD/NVidia. The Intel GPU is for "power saving" and the other GPU for "performance".
If you right-click Computer > Manage and then go to Device Manager and expand "Display adapters", does it show one entry or two? Alternatively, are any unknown devices listed?

Some other CPU-ish games I've recently played that you might want to try: Big Pharma, Prison Architect, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

Edit: SimCity 4, if you like those sort of games. (SC4 sometimes runs better with hardware acceleration disabled!) Will add more to this list if I think of anything else.

Last edited:
My suggestion? there are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of really stellar old(er) games out there.

So many that there's now way on earth you've played them all.

Since they were designed to play on machines from back when they were first made, chances are even a lower-end modern PC can run them.

Without more info on the kinds of games you like, I'll refrain from making specific recommendations, but I'd encourage you to check out whats on offer on Steam.

The best part is that Steam (9 times out of 10) handles all the compatibility issues for you. I'm able to play Hexen ( a VERY old FPS from the DOS era) as easily as Terraria. No fiddling about with emulation programs or compatibility modes. Just purchase, download, and hit Play.

EDIT: Actually, I do have one game I can recommend you, as you enjoy Enter the Gungeon: Tower of Guns. Rogue-like FPS with an off-the-wall sense of humor.

The escapists , other Re-logic games like Super mario bros. X and pixel piracy , even Minecraft , i was able to get about 25 fps in minecraft at low-medium settings (i just had to wait for the map to load ) with an amd E1-1200 apu , which means 1,4 ghz processor (dual core) and an amd radeon hd 7310 graphics... the only good thing that computer had was the ram , it had 6 gigabytes of ram , also no optifine .

Other games :
  • Chicken invaders 1-5 (the games get better from 3 and on )
  • Team fortress 2 (ehh , not too sure about this one )
  • The very organised thief (a nice free indie game , it can kill some time , you can find it on gamejolt )

For horror games:
  • The five nights at Freddy's franchise (not that heavy , good if you don't hate it )
  • Fran bow (awesome story and it is light )

Last edited:
Skyrim isn't that intensive. According to my friends it runs pretty good for them (one of them plays on a laptop and gets around 60 fps, which is ridiculous imo.)

Due to me having a GT 640 before the beginning of this year (its a bad GPU tbh) I think I know some games.

Dawn of war games are pretty good (first ones are pretty old though.)
Binding of Issac: rebirth.
Stronghold Crusader.
Borderlands was alright for me without any upgrades.
Civ 5
Torchlight 2 was okay as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will be adding the following to my list of to-purchase games: Risk of Rain, Starbound, Torchlight 2, Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2. Thank you all once again!

Back
Top Bottom