Non-Terrarian Bad RNG Games

Are there games with worse RNG than Terraria?

• Yes

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

CanSteam

Terrarian
Remember, this doesn't mean the game is good or bad.

Plague Inc. Evolved

This game can save your butt or screw you over in many ways

E.g. Not sending an infected boat to an uninfected island

Making your plague weaker with climate change
Spiral Knights

In this game there are missions. In between sections of missions there are walls that make sure your gear is at a certain level. It is TERRIBLE trying to get through these
2 star is the easiest, they give you 2 sta gear
3 star is harder as it relies on you to make new weapons
4 star is the hardest. You have to get gear to level 5
5 star isnt as hard. You have to level 10

Now, let me explain orbs of alchemy
and fire crystals.

Orbs of alchemy are required to upgrade your gear. You need 3 per gear, meaning 12 per wall. There are 5 orbs for each amount of stars.
Fire crystals level up your gear but the amount of crystals spent depend on what level your gear is.
There are 6 types of crystals, each for a star level(including 0)
So why is 4 the hardest?
Glowing fire crystals are surprisingly hard to come by(3* level increaser), as they are in the middle of level 2 areas. Elite orbs of alchemy (4* item crafters) are also amazingly hard to come by. They only give you TWO as mission rewards before the wall.(you can't even craft one thing) and they are only able to get about halfway through tier 2.

The main one I can think of is 100% Orange Juice, affectionately referred to by my friends and I as 100% RNG Juice.

It's a four player board game type game where nearly everything is luck. The only constants are the boards, what character you pick, and what cards you pick to toss in the game's pile of cards. After that, it's all up to luck and some strategy. Movements, battles, star bonuses and drops are all decided by dice rolls and cards are from the random deck. Even with all that RNG, it's still lots of fun. Lots of absolutely ridiculous big plays to be made and fun strategies.

...like an actual board game, really.

Borderlands 2. I probably spent 30+ hours hunting after one legendary only for it to drop from an entirely different boss which doesn't have an enhanced chance to drop it.

Bad RNG in games? I'll have to point at Dragon Ball XenoVerse for that one.

I mean, the game is good, one of my favorite recent games and all, but... The RNG rivals Terraria's in the "why the :red: am I even trying to get this?" quotient.

So you want to get this one character's attack, buff or piece of clothing? Good. Now go fight in stages where you have a chance to get it. Sometimes getting things will be as easy as killing all the foes - and then playing the RNGussian Roulette to see what you get as rewards - but other times it could involve causing certain things to happen, like having Goku use his x3 Kaioken in order to learn it yourself. Where's the RNG in that, you ask? That even if all conditions are met for you to learn something, even if said conditions involve doing a lot of stuff you wouldn't usually do (like tanking the :red: out of someone just to have them use That One Attack on you) the game's RNG may just decide that no, you're not going to get that thing you wanted to get. Try again. Twenty times, if you're lucky.

And if you ever want to get the Dragon Balls, then... Be ready for countless fights just to be blessed by the RNG, so the Time Patrol NPCs which carry the DBs around will spawn. And then, you have to fight and defeat them, so you can go through a second RNG roll to see what you get as a reward for that... Something you won't know until you finish the stage.

XenoVerse is, as I said, good, but it's also one of those games that turn five hours into fifty just by being a :red: to the player for no good reason.

Dragon Ball XenoVerse
That escaped my mind completely. Probably because I haven't been doing its RNGrind at all recently.

With the games I'm playing now, probably FTL. I could get as far as the flagship in one playthrough, then get a bad luck and got hijacked in a bad position and couldn't even make it to the next sector.

Dark Souls 2. The game had an anti-loot system that was a giant go :red: yourself to everyone playing it.

Terraria has some of the "lightest" RNG in a game I've ever played, personally.

Diablo 3; often called "RNG 3" by its more seasoned players. A lot of the top-end items (with the appropriate rolls) have a lower chance to get than winning the lotto. It's the game where they stack the layers of RNG upon themselves into oblivion.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth. I can't tell you how many times i've been close to getting a 4th level meat boy or bandage girl and gotten the wrong boss to complete it. Also, several of the angel room items (lookin' at you, Sacred Heart) almost never show up for me.

Diablo 3; often called "RNG 3" by its more seasoned players. A lot of the top-end items (with the appropriate rolls) have a lower chance to get than winning the lotto. It's the game where they stack the layers of RNG upon themselves into oblivion.

And also Diablo 2, it's almost impossible to get a whole set of any set equipment in single player.

Pokemon's RNG can get pretty awful if you're trying to get into competitive battling and you don't want to resort to cheating. I got lucky when someone wonder traded me a max-IVed Ditto (that was certainly not legit, but w/e) that I can use to breed much quicker, but for those who aren't so lucky it can easily take multiple days to breed a single battle-worthy Pokemon, more if you're also breeding for factors like ability. At least it's better in the sixth gen than it was in previous ones, when it could take weeks or months, or in the third gen, when it was basically impossible.

The main one I can think of is 100% Orange Juice, affectionately referred to by my friends and I as 100% RNG Juice.

It's a four player board game type game where nearly everything is luck. The only constants are the boards, what character you pick, and what cards you pick to toss in the game's pile of cards. After that, it's all up to luck and some strategy. Movements, battles, star bonuses and drops are all decided by dice rolls and cards are from the random deck. Even with all that RNG, it's still lots of fun. Lots of absolutely ridiculous big plays to be made and fun strategies.

...like an actual board game, really.

Bolded for irony.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Destiny yet...
Never played it, but I've heard its devil is RNGesus.

*thinks hard*
Oh. Duh.
The lottery.

Pokemon's RNG can get pretty awful if you're trying to get into competitive battling and you don't want to resort to cheating. I got lucky when someone wonder traded me a max-IVed Ditto (that was certainly not legit, but w/e) that I can use to breed much quicker, but for those who aren't so lucky it can easily take multiple days to breed a single battle-worthy Pokemon, more if you're also breeding for factors like ability. At least it's better in the sixth gen than it was in previous ones, when it could take weeks or months, or in the third gen, when it was basically impossible.
Well at least in 6th gen its easier thanks to new mechanics (destiny knot, friend safari) its do able in a week. but then I look at gen V where they did something but not much.

Back
Top Bottom