Game Mechanics Not so useless players (slapping/swimming)

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
It is currently next to impossible to do an itemless start. The only way to break blocks is to have a tool, and the only way to kill things is with a sword. So if you decide to do a challenge run and start without these, the only way to progress is to... collect 50 silver from surface pots, enough to get the merchant, without dying, and then buy a tool anyways. But guess what, he also requires a house meaning you need wood. I am not suggesting breaking blocks without a tool. I like that, that is a good mechanic, but:

I think the player should be able to slap/punch for 2-3 damage when clicking with nothing in your hand. It of course would have very short range with very small knockback, but allow you to do something as opposed to nothing when faced with a basic green slime for example. This would allow you to get rope, torches, and bombs, which in turn allow you to get wood.

It also doesn't make sense in my opinion that the player doesn't know how to swim. I propose that players are able to "swim" at half the effectiveness of the flippers as long as they dont have armor.

I also posted that the player should not start with a free minecart/climbing device, but would instead be able to climb rope, hand over hand, albeit much slower than the current ascention device.

Last edited:
It is currently next to impossible to do an itemless start. The only way to break blocks is to have a tool, and the only way to kill things is with a sword. So if you decide to do a challenge run and start without these, the only way to progress is to... collect 50 silver from surface pots, enough to get the merchant, without dying, and then buy a tool anyways. But guess what, he also requires a house meaning you need wood. I am not suggesting breaking blocks without a tool. I like that, that is a good mechanic, but:
  1. Loot a chest containing shurikens.
  2. Use the shurikens to break some pots to obtain bombs.
  3. Blow up Stone, Ore and Trees.
  4. Craft a crafting table.
  5. Place it.
  6. Craft a furnace.
  7. Place it.
  8. Smelt the ore you gathered (At least 15 Iron/Lead, and 42 of any other ore for a Pickaxe and Axe.)
  9. Craft an anvil.
  10. Craft your tools.
This isn't even that hard to do.
I think the player should be able to slap/punch for 2-3 damage when clicking with nothing in your hand. It of course would have very short range with very small knockback, but allow you to do something as opposed to nothing when faced with a basic green slime for example. This would allow you to get rope, torches, and bombs, which in turn allow you to get wood.
I honestly kind of like the Terrarian being completely reliant on items to do damage and other basic stuff. It's something fun that set's it apart from minecraft.
It also doesn't make sense in my opinion that the player doesn't know how to swim. I propose that players are able to "swim" at half the effectiveness of the flippers as long as they dont have armor.
Trying to get out of water before you drown is very fun, and I would like to keep it in the game. Also flipper isn't super useful right now, and with this change it would be absolutely useless in most circumstances.
I also posted that the player should not start with a free minecart/climbing device, but would instead be able to climb rope, hand over hand, albeit much slower than the current ascention device.
Seems a bit annoying and I don't really see why.

1. Loot a chest containing shurikens.
  2. Use the shurikens to break some pots to obtain bombs.
  3. Blow up Stone, Ore and Trees.
  4. Craft a crafting table.
  5. Place it.
  6. Craft a furnace.
  7. Place it.
  8. Smelt the ore you gathered (At least 15 Iron/Lead, and 42 of any other ore for a Pickaxe and Axe.)
  9. Craft an anvil.
  10. Craft your tools.
This isn't even that hard to do.
What if you cant find or access a chest/ or get unlucky and not get enough bombs?

I honestly kind of like the Terrarian being completely reliant on items to do damage and other basic stuff. It's something fun that set's it apart from minecraft.
same, that is why I am fine with not breaking blocks, but not being able to use your hands for anything at all? Why not a minor slap/punch?

Trying to get out of water before you drown is very fun, and I would like to keep it in the game. Also flipper isn't super useful right now, and with this change it would be absolutely useless in most circumstances.
The flipper would still be next to necessary for any extended water movement, plus when youre wearing armor.

Seems a bit annoying and I don't really see why.
It always seemed odd to me you get both a minecart and climbing device for free, plus this opens the door to upgraded ones

this is completely unrealistic, as most apparel in the game is either incredibly heavy on it's own (the armors made from metal) or can be weighed down significantly by being submerged (regular clothing). there's a reason professional divers use very specific clothing that doesn't hold water at all, and equipping a flipper will not help with the little weight problem.

What if you cant find or access a chest/ or get unlucky and not get enough bombs?
Make a different world.
same, that is why I am fine with not breaking blocks, but not being able to use your hands for anything at all? Why not a minor slap/punch?
I don't actively want it to be added, but i wouldn't really mind.
The flipper would still be next to necessary for any extended water movement, plus when youre wearing armor.
Sorry, I must have skipped that part. Even then, I still don't support it as it isn't very useful except in the early game.
It always seemed odd to me you get both a minecart and climbing device for free,
I'm with you here, it just seems annoying to do so I don't support it. I think the free minecart should only go 40 MPH (20 less than normal minecarts.) so it is necessary to craft a minecart to make full use of them.
plus this opens the door to upgraded ones
Rope Climbing doesn't really need an upgrade since it is already pretty fast and you can only travel vertically with it.

I don't know if you already know, but the free minecart still goes significantly slower than other minecarts, not to mention it does half as much contact damage.
That was mentioned on the other post, yes. I still dont see why there should be a free one at all; that would motivate players to actually craft one as soon as possible if you wanted to utilize underground rails, but that doesn't really apply to this post.

Feels really modded in my opinion..
I disagree, actually. It feels weird to me that absolutely nothing happens if you click with nothing in your hand. Having a 2 damage punch would be basically irrelevant, but it's better than just standing there like a goof. As this post says, its only use would be if you decide to trash your items at the start of the game and need to break pots.

However, I don't feel strongly enough about this issue to actually support this suggestion, because if you aren't doing an itemless start, there is no situation in which the barehanded punch would be relevant at all, and I don't think the game should need to account for player-imposed challenges.

Back
Top Bottom