Steampunker
NCP Name: Scrap Mechanic
Possible In-Game Names:
  • Jeremiah
  • Stephen
  • Alex
  • Matthias
What he does:
All this NPC would do is take any unwanted items, "scrap" them, and will give you half the value of the items in materials. He would only have one slot at a time for the game to have an easier time, and it would look like the reforging menu in the Goblin Tinkerer. Useful for when you accidentally craft the wrong item because you scrolled one too many times in the crafting roulette, and you have a second Orichalcum Headgear instead of the Halberd or something along those lines. What I mean by half the value: An Orichalcum Halberd, I'm using this because I have it pulled up on the Terraria Wiki page, sells for 1 Gold and 65 Silver. That's 165 Silver coins for one Halberd. Half of this, since it's an odd number and we don't want this to be overpowered, is rounded down to 82 Silver. One Orichalcum Bar is 44 Silver per bar, so it would be rounded out to about 2 Bars.

Sprite:
I don't know how to make sprites, and I'm not good at custom pixel art to begin with, so I'm just going to describe him. He would have a gray undershirt, with some dark blotches from the oil the machines use, since he's a mechanic, and he would either have a denim apron and jeans, or he would have denim overalls. There would have to be two sprites for him, in this case. If it's not possible, then he would always have the overalls. His hair is a dark brown, and his shoes are brown Hermes Boots, without the wings. His talking animation could include his mouth moving, and him wiping his hands with a stained handkerchief.

Let me know what you think about this idea!

Seems legit... but would this only work for crafted items? It rarely happens where I accidentally craft something and if it only works for items the player crafted, It would make the npc seem extremely optional, even to the point of useless. If it only applies to crafted items, a "crafting table" of sorts would probably be a better choice, in my opinion at least.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that game...Maybe just Mechanic, then.
The mechanic already exists ingame, as the wire seller. Perhaps the NPC could be called the "Scrapper," or the "Smelter." Also: How will items with multiple components work (ie Dao of Pow,Night's Edge,Toilet)? Will all the components be given, and for items such as the Toilet and Bathtub, which can use Iron and Lead interchangeably, which ore would be given?

For the name issues, how about calling it the Scrapper? Anyways I do like the idea, support!
That's probably the best name, tbh.

The mechanic already exists ingame, as the wire seller. Perhaps the NPC could be called the "Scrapper," or the "Smelter." Also: How will items with multiple components work (ie Dao of Pow,Night's Edge,Toilet)? Will all the components be given, and for items such as the Toilet and Bathtub, which can use Iron and Lead interchangeably, which ore would be given?

As for the ore it gives, it would give the ore you used to craft the item in the first place. And yes, all components would be given. However, weapons found in the wild with no crafting recipe won't be able to be broken down, as there's no way to recreate it. It would be hard for the Re-Logic team to implement, since they'd have to imp[lement a way to keep track of what was crafted with what for this to actually work, though. Most ideas are just better on paper.

That's probably the best name, tbh.

As for the ore it gives, it would give the ore you used to craft the item in the first place. And yes, all components would be given. However, weapons found in the wild with no crafting recipe won't be able to be broken down, as there's no way to recreate it. It would be hard for the Re-Logic team to implement, since they'd have to imp[lement a way to keep track of what was crafted with what for this to actually work, though. Most ideas are just better on paper.
The game doesn't keep track of what metal you crafted an item with, do that wouldn't work. Maybe you could have the world check which metal it was generated with at the start of the world and set a flag for the scrapper to check every time he scraps an item.

Back
Top Bottom