NPCs & Enemies Npc Relationship System

TeeniestNut

Terrarian
I think an npc relationship system could really add a lot to terraria. Here are my main ideas:

Upgrading A Relationship:
To upgrade a relationship you would need to do 3 things, buy from the npc's shop, gift them item they would like (so armsdealer likes guns and that) the npc's would hint at what they like in their dialogue and go on quests with them, a new feature that you would unlock with an npc when they reach level 5 (max 20)

Levels:
Npc will get levels the more you do the stuff listed above with them. In Pre-Hardmode your npcs would have a max level of 5, in early Hardmode the max is 10,the during the post golem phase the max is 15 and finally post-Moonlord the max is 20. As your npcs level up their Hp, damage and defence would increase, additionally every 5 levels your npcs would get new weapons, armour and gain an accessory (class emblem, wings, random expert mode accessory, ankh shield, in that order)

Benefits:
You would be able to get help during boss fights, as the levels go up the prices would go down, while with Npcs over level 10 you would get a 5% buff for your overall Damage, critical hit chance and Knockback each. If your struggling with a boss or with grinding, you can bring up to 3 of your highest level npcs (only 1 npc can go over level 15)

Marriage:
When an npc reaches level 20 you have a choice whether to marry them or not, if you marry them, they will be happy in any house you put them in, they will sell everything they can and their buff would increase from 5% To 15%.
(Also marrying the opposite would be possible.)

That is all, thank you for reading and goodbye.

the rest are decent suggestions i guess, but, like... why the hell would anyone want to marry an NPC lmao
even if it means extra stat boosts i think people would probably dislike that for just how "euugghhh" it is

I think an npc relationship system could really add a lot to terraria. Here are my main ideas:

Upgrading A Relationship:
To upgrade a relationship you would need to do 3 things, buy from the npc's shop, gift them item they would like (so armsdealer likes guns and that) the npc's would hint at what they like in their dialogue and go on quests with them, a new feature that you would unlock with an npc when they reach level 5 (max 20)

Levels:
Npc will get levels the more you do the stuff listed above with them. In Pre-Hardmode your npcs would have a max level of 5, in early Hardmode the max is 10,the during the post golem phase the max is 15 and finally post-Moonlord the max is 20. As your npcs level up their Hp, damage and defence would increase, additionally every 5 levels your npcs would get new weapons, armour and gain an accessory (class emblem, wings, random expert mode accessory, ankh shield, in that order)

Benefits:
You would be able to get help during boss fights, as the levels go up the prices would go down, while with Npcs over level 10 you would get a 5% buff for your overall Damage, critical hit chance and Knockback each. If your struggling with a boss or with grinding, you can bring up to 3 of your highest level npcs (only 1 npc can go over level 15)

Marriage:
When an npc reaches level 20 you have a choice whether to marry them or not, if you marry them, they will be happy in any house you put them in, they will sell everything they can and their buff would increase from 5% To 15%.
(Also marrying the opposite would be possible.)

That is all, thank you for reading and goodbye.
As Sammich said above, this sounds modded, and this is almost an exact copy of the NPC relationship system in Stardew Valley.

I don't disagree with this, I just think having it explicitly be relationships would be a bit odd. For the same reasons other people have said. Me personally I just want more to the NPCs rather than just being a shop. We've already kind of achieved that given they talk to one another, have opinions of each other and their living spaces, and defend themselves from enemies. A relationship system like this does just feel too modded. Could maybe keep the gifting thing, and make it so that happiness isn't just affected by biomes and neighbours but also how you treat that NPC.

y'know this kinda sounds pretty close to how fire emblem supports work...
probably not inspired by that, but i don't support this for one main reason which is
there is no reason to have this, i would love to see NPCs fight for you but i don't think this is the correct approach
i will say though a bit creative if you fully came up with it

I haven't played stardew valley so I wouldn't know
That is actually very surprising, since your suggestion is nearly identical to the relationship system in Stardew Valley, down to the 20 levels to marry.

Edit: I just checked, and it turns out I was mistaken. The maximum hearts you can get with a bachelor or bachelorette is ten.

What if you marry the guide and then he keeps dying due to fighting wall of flesh?
If that happens to be implemented, a male character (male build, lower voice) should face no punishment for marrying the male NPC, the same for female characters (female build, higher voice). The parantheses are because in 1.4.5 there will not be fixed genders but individual voice and build settings.

That is actually very surprising, since your suggestion is nearly identical to the relationship system in Stardew Valley, down to the 20 levels to marry.

Edit: I just checked, and it turns out I was mistaken. The maximum hearts you can get with a bachelor or bachelorette is ten.
I thought about buying it but
1. I'm saving up for then new zelda game
2. I'm against pirating games from indie devs
3. It's seems a lot like animal crossing, which I already own

I think Red said that this was a Terraria 2 idea.
I feel like this wouldn't fit that well in Terraria though

If Tomodachi Life (the Sims-like game where tens and tens of people live in an apartment building together) got grilled over its relationship system, yeah it's not happening in Terraria

Everyone is going to marry the druid lmao. I also think you should get a special weapon or item from marriage
Special weapons would be amazing but how good should their weapon be if marriage is level 20(moonlord). And they shouldn't feel similar to their drops when they die

i think having a friendship meter with the npcs could be very cool. The more you speak to them, they gain exp. Every, say, 10 levels you gain in friendship, you unlock a new special dialogue, and maybe a special exclusive item(s) at max friendship, which could be 50.

In terms of keeping it balanced, each in game day/night cycle you can talk to your npcs and gain exp. I think this could also add a reason to spend more time in a world so you can have those relationships reward you after all your time spent.

additional note as well: this also would give players a reason to speak to some npcs that otherwise they completely ignore for most of / their entire playthrough.

What if you marry the guide and then he keeps dying due to fighting wall of flesh?
If that happens to be implemented, a male character (male build, lower voice) should face no punishment for marrying the male NPC, the same for female characters (female build, higher voice). The parantheses are because in 1.4.5 there will not be fixed genders but individual voice and build settings.
when did this happen iv ben looking at the pach notes but i may have missed it can you get me a link or somthing?

Back
Top Bottom