PC Optimal NPC Housing Designs

Fragon

Skeletron Prime
Introduction
I have been playing around with NPC housing mechanics for a long time now and thought it was time I shared my knowledge with the rest of the community. This guide aims to provide a reference to several highly optimised housing solutions and explain some of the hidden mechanics behind them. None of the basics will be covered here—for that you can head to terraria.wiki.gg/House.

I hope everyone discovers something useful, even if some of these designs are already familiar.

Houses
Layout 1 of 3

Capture_2018-10-04_23_15_47.png

72e432e8d8.png

This is my latest design. It can be repeated seamlessly in either direction and NPCs can be accessed from above. They even sit on the wooden platforms (though not the chairs, obviously). Notice the copper coins beneath the lantern; they are used to make the housing valid. This layout requires the NPC area to be surrounded on either side by non-obstructing blocks or furniture. See below for some examples of what would work:

e14383cab8.png

Layout 2 of 3

8f128ddfdc.png

Not much of an explanation needed here, simply access NPCs from below.

Layout 3 of 3

05c0f2d1ce.png

This layout is designed to tile vertically. The chair determines the side where the NPC will stand. By aligning these houses against a hellevator for example, one can keep rarely-used NPCs nearby without them taking up much space.

Summary
If you want to see other designs featured, let me know and I will add them with due credit. I know there are a couple of interesting ones on the wiki page which I linked earlier. I encourage you to make modifications to the layouts illustrated above and try to improve upon them in any way you can. I look forward to your feedback.

04d3596bf4.png

Last edited:
You could also use the infinite house bug to save materials. But some of these are interesting I've never seen many before especially the honey one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom