Items Personalized Umbrellas

Looking good to you?

• Sure, adding this will be no problem.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Hmm. Different color umbrellas are okay, but the sprite for holding an umbrella is fine as it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bah, humbug.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
I'd like to see myself carry an umbrella over my shoulder when not using it for slow-fall. Instead of holding it awkwardly straight out in front of me. You know, I'm thinking that an Umbrella not being used for Mary Poppins should be held like this.
Untitled.png

Furthermore, the current Umbrella looks a little, uh, garish for my taste. Like those outdoor hot dog stand umbrellas. Not very sexy at all.

What if I wanted more of a somber feel?

Black Umbrella: Black Thread + Umbrella
Repeat with Green Thread and Pink Thread for respective umbrellas.

I'm not done yet! Why restrict ourselves to just those colors?

Thread: crafted @ Loom with 20 Cobwebs.

Green Thread: Thread + Green Dye (No longer with Jungle Grass Seeds)
Pink Thread: Thread + Pink Dye
Yellow Thread: Thread + Yellow Dye
Etc, etc. Instead of being sold by the Clothier.

Now do you see what I'm getting at?

But that's not all... we should be able to make new Stucco Walls with these new Threads!

One more thing:

Oriental Umbrella: Umbrella + 20 Silk + 15 Dynasty Wood
Just to make me happy with all this.

How does this sound?

Sounds good for the most part, but the problem is that Green and Black Thread are supposed to be specially for Hero and Tuxedos only.

They used to be Dyes until Dyes got added, but what will they be if Thread gets added as well?

Sounds good for the most part, but the problem is that Green and Black Thread are supposed to be specially for Hero and Tuxedos only.

They used to be Dyes until Dyes got added, but what will they be if Thread gets added as well?
Huh? I don't quite understand what you mean. Green Thread will still be used for HERO's clothes, but also for the Green Umbrella and Green Stucco, as well as being crafted differently.

Huh? I don't quite understand what you mean. Green Thread will still be used for HERO's clothes, but also for the Green Umbrella and Green Stucco, as well as being crafted differently.
That's the thing. The recipe change means you don't have to work as hard to get it, which the devsobviously want to keep (because they aren't just crafted with Dyes now). Green and Black Dye changed to Green and Black Thread when a full array of Dyes were added. If a full array of Threads are added, then... what? As for me, I'd personally be happy with just a Black Umbrella crafted with existing Black Thread, but I'm trying to make this work.

That's the thing. The recipe change means you don't have to work as hard to get it, which the devsobviously want to keep (because they aren't just crafted with Dyes now). Green and Black Dye changed to Green and Black Thread when a full array of Dyes were added. If a full array of Threads are added, then... what? As for me, I'd personally be happy with just a Black Umbrella crafted with existing Black Thread, but I'm trying to make this work.
If a full array of threads are added, that would have to be in an update just filled with vanity. Anyways, cutting out some of the grind for Jungle Grass Seeds for the Hero's Clothes can only be a good thing, right?

Anyways, cutting out some of the grind for Jungle Grass Seeds for the Hero's Clothes can only be a good thing, right?
The devs didn't think so. That's what I'm trying to say. They could have done that in 1.2, but they didn't, so chances are they will keep it that way.

Ooh, I really like the idea of shouldering umbrellas.But how much thread would you get from crafting? crafting pink thread would be a nightmare :eek:

As with any vanity related suggestion, I wholeheartedly support this idea. Though if you don't mind, I'd like to make a couple suggestions.

Umbrellas become obsolete after obtaining wings, a horseshoe, or even a double-jump bottle, so it'd be kinda awkward to use it just for looks while on the ground. So why not simply make them vanity accessories? This way the umbrella can be carried in the off-hand while doing other actions. It'll also allow them to be colored using regular dyes.

But then why use threads to make different umbrellas when you can just dye them different colors? In this case, each umbrella should have a different design, so that dyeing them creates a unique pattern on the umbrella. For example:

Normal
aw2v7t.gif

Black
2r762o8.gif

Yellow
2ce22r4.gif

Oriental
23sex6w.gif

(Sorry about the white background. Still haven't figured out how to add alpha channels to gifs)

These are just my two cents. All but the normal one would lose their functionality as "umbrellas", but they would become less obtrusive in hardmode when umbrellas become far less viable.

I love those sprites, nice job Corenality!

Only thing id tweak would be making the Yellow umbrella a tiny bit dimmer, its nearly blindingly white and yellow.

Back
Top Bottom