Items Phase Saber - is not that powerful could we make it more accessible?

Chaoton

Terrarian
It's an early auto-swing Hardmode melee weapon, but it requires whopping 50 crystal shards and a phase blade. Compared to other early Hardmode recipes, Crystal Storm only needs 20, and Rainbow Rod only needs 10.

Its effectiveness is arguable worse than the breaker blade if the player has auto-swing, but it emits light and built-in auto-swing so that non-melee could use it in early Hardmode exploration and fending themselves, but it's by no mean overpowered.

So I hope that by lowering the number of crystal shards needed, it could be another fine early Hardmode weapon of choice.

I quite like the Phasesaber. It's usually the second thing I make after entering hardmode (golden shower being the first). Its fast, autoswings, long and does the job.

maybe if it could refect bullets it might be good
That's always the idea I've had for it, and I really wish it could do that. Although that might be a bit strong, I'm sure it could be balanced in a way that makes it a more effective weapon, and also be a neat reference to the source material.

Reflecting bullets seems really broken. As a broadsword, you’re basically creating a wide cone shaped area over your head that gets rid of projectiles. You could swing it nonstop during a boss and send their bullets back at them, and while it probably wouldn’t have the best DPS (except against things like Retinazer), you’d basically be invincible.

You could give it a cooldown, but then it wouldn’t be as good. You’d have to switch to it to reflect bullets, and since most projectiles are fast and you dodge them by knowing the boss’ patterns rather than reacting to them, it’d be rare to be able to reflect projectiles in that case.

I’d probably personally make it ignore most of an enemy’s defense, give it higher base damage, and maybe throw in the ability to guard and reduce damage like Brand of the Inferno. Those first two would give you an excuse to use them as a broadsword, and the first buff would fit the idea of a lightsaber because you’re cutting through their armor. The last one is a lot less useful, but it’s a thematically fitting way to have some sort of protection and fits as a lightsaber, and it doesn’t have to be Brand’s guard effect specifically.

here:instead of reflecting it,it just destroys projectiles like bullets.

Still kind of powerful, because you can then just abuse the melee blade by hugging enemies and only have to worry about contact damage and it’d be really abusable in multiplayer where a high aggro player could make themselves invincible and a low aggro player could attack.

I got an idea, how about give it an alt-attk like the DD2 weapons, where you can throw it like a boomerang & then since the On Fire! debuff is much better, give it a chance to inflict burn damage. 😏🤷‍♂️

That’s pretty cool. Non-OOA items deserve secondary attacks anyway, and it’d make it a decent mid-ranged melee weapon for post-meteorite and early hardmode.

Maybe, since it’s literally a lightsaber, the thrown attack should have pierce to distinguish it from boomerangs.

I think what would happen is this:
right click,the lightsaber becomes double and you can rotate it.
debuffs
purple = venom
red = on fire!
green = cursed flames
blue = frostburn
orange = ichor
white = electrified

Maybe, since it’s literally a lightsaber, the thrown attack should have pierce to distinguish it from boomerangs.

It's literally a Phasesaber and symbolically a lightsaber. It doesn't necessarily mean it has to follow lightsaber logic.

For me, that would make it overpowered, pushing it too close to the Zenith (in terms of action, though not in power.)

At the time you can first get it, it does well and has enough knock back to keep some ghoulies at bay. At that point in the game I'm normally farming souls, so collecting crystals on the way isn't much bother.

A throwable piercing sword at that stage would be a bit too strong. Maybe if a third version of the sword had been added say just before the celestial events, it could have been like that - a kind of preview of the Zenith.

It's literally a Phasesaber and symbolically a lightsaber. It doesn't necessarily mean it has to follow lightsaber logic.

For me, that would make it overpowered, pushing it too close to the Zenith (in terms of action, though not in power.)

At the time you can first get it, it does well and has enough knock back to keep some ghoulies at bay. At that point in the game I'm normally farming souls, so collecting crystals on the way isn't much bother.

A throwable piercing sword at that stage would be a bit too strong. Maybe if a third version of the sword had been added say just before the celestial events, it could have been like that - a kind of preview of the Zenith.

The thrown sword would end up having significantly less DPS than the blade because you’d have to let it return after each swing and it would only travel so fast and so far.

Plus, it’s not like it would be too powerful. Things like Chain Guillotines and Shadowflame Knives exist, which are much faster than Phasesabers with a similar or higher base damage, and a piercing boomerang with Phasesaber base damage would absolutely not be too strong by comparison as long as it’s slow enough.

Still don’t believe me? Look at the Sargeant United Shield, with 80 base damage and is basically a fast, homing boomerang that can hit a few times. Granted its on the higher end of early Hardmode melee items, but this by comparison would have lesser base damage and accuracy.

I was here to suggest a simple change, but you guys made it a lot better! 😘

J*di power sound fancy! It could be the 3rd upgrade with luminite bars. I'd love to deflect bullets and stuff.

ya know what just make it a dam light saber
You fool! Are you trying to get sued by Disney?!

Absolutely agree with lowering the shard crafting amount. Other early hardmode weapons like Rainbow Rod and Excalibur got their recipes tweaked, so I'm not sure how they missed the Phasesaber.

I don't know about reflecting projectiles. Seems like a lot of work for such a small pool of weapons. It wouldn't be broken since you can't exactly reflect contact damage, which you'll take a lot of considering the Saber's meager range and DPS. I imagine it's more useful as defense while you run and regen.

I do like the boomerang idea, partly because throwing a plasma sword is as cool as it is dumb and unsafe, which is amusing. A good alt-attack is an interesting way to differentiate the glut of broadswords and increase its viability without slapping a beam on it.

Back
Top Bottom