Guide Pixel box PSA

ekinator

Empress of Light

Happy 1.4.4 everybody! I am making this thread for anyone who hasn't read the changelog.​

Pixel box behavior is changed and they can be bought from the Mechanic now.
Untitled.png

As the tooltip says, Pixel box state can only be changed by a crossed signal. Both wires have to come from the same source (switch or gate), no buffers inbetween!
Examples: This will turn the pixel on and off;
Capture 2022-09-29 00_15_59.png

..but this will not:
1664400877367.png

The new behavior means we can make pixel box screens in whatever size we want, and control them directly! Previous method was restricted to 24*N (a Youtube video)
Capture 2022-09-28 23_40_58.png

"Just throwing some ideas" section.

Thinking of how these new displays could be utilized for displaying animation, I believe that some kind of cache would still be required, just not a gigantic driver.
Just testing out the waters, trying to make 7-segment style digits, I immediately created a mess of wires just trying to make an 8.
1664403254275.png

There definitely needs to be a circuit between the driver and screen with lots of space for wires.
First example is a buffer that one would load with the frame data and show the frame when it is ready. Possible downside is that you *must* clear the screen before loading the next frame.
Capture 2022-09-28 23_48_41.png

The second example features a dedicated clear screen function, but shows the frame data as it is written to the buffer.
Capture 2022-09-29 00_01_23.png

I hope this inspires you all to make something cool. Maybe someone will update their old builds!

Huh, I didn't know about the single source being important.
I made a small animation already but I now realize that I can compress the wires down 5 times with this method, thaaaaanks

Back
Top Bottom