PC Pixel Piracy Relaunches Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I've put it on YouTube, only way you could do so would get you arrested for trespassing. :p

Its pretty cool to see this game come so far so fast - and to know what else may be possible with future updates.

Unless I've put it on YouTube, only way you could do so would get you arrested for trespassing. :p

Its pretty cool to see this game come so far so fast - and to know what else may be possible with future updates.
Other people and you were commenting about it earlier. Do you have a youtube channel? I too am also happy to see the communities hype for this game and I"m excited for what the future has to bring!

Yes, but I only really use it sparingly for things like showcase videos (which are a great view if you haven't seen them)

This game is definitely improved, but it's... still pretty rough. The failures of the find-and-replace they did for female characters resulting in "tshe man is physically frail" are still the least of their concerns. Is there like a dedicated forum for discussion of this game, or a subforum here or something? I have like a ton of things to say but don't want to go too far off topic or derail this thread with complaints.

Ok... I made the best freaking flag... And I can't use it on my ship... I searched the entire map, couldn't find a shop that sells the pirate flag... GAAAH I am so disappointed. Here's a picture by the way:
Pixel Piracy.jpg

I blurred out the naughty bits, but you get the point. I am so disappointed.

Last edited:
Maybe you could say what's wrong with the game, and provide some constructive criticism instead of just saying "it's bad, don't buy it".
Oh, I'll take this one!

-Character creation is basically nonexistent. All the selections are randomized.
-The crew management interface is slow and badly designed. There's no way to back out of menus, you have to close them and reopen from the beginning. Since you have to allocate each individual stat point on all of your pirates, this gets tiresome fast.
-You have no control over individuals and no ability to assign your crew to ctrl-groups like an rts. The groups you control your pirates through also govern their AI, and you can only tell them to move or attack. You only have a captain because interacting with the world otherwise would be impossible.
-There's no way to sort or organize your troops manually, but the game does it automatically by a strange and unknowable rubric that somehow puts your Captain halfway into the second row even if they're twice the level everyone else is.
-Combat is an unmanageable fracas. Even when you can tell what's going on you have no control over it. You're actually expected to pause mid-battle, go into the equip menus and apply healing potions to your pirates the same way you would change their equipment.
-Once you get cannons, an additional 30 seconds of waiting is added to every battle before you can begin boarding, regardless of whether or not you can actually fire them. They have no use anyway, as ships are far too durable to be realistically sunk through cannon damage- after this period you'll be lucky if they're at 95% and the enemy crew will immediately board you in retaliation anyway. You cannot aim the cannons either, so once this happens, your own cannoneers will begin firing on your own ship, which is subject to persistent damage. Parts of the enemy ship drop as loot when you sink it, and after a few cannon battles you'll likely end up with several glitched Damaged-type blocks, which (if you can even use them to build) just look like a mess of brown pixels and have no sell value. Really, cannons are the worst part of this game.
-The AI simulator crashes pretty routinely, and your troops will often just lock up and do nothing for entire combat sessions. The aforementioned cannons will rarely fire more than two shots per battle.
-90% of the game is unskippable waiting, and the game doesn't even load the next destination during travel times.
-The text is all badly proofread and there are obvious signs of rushed find-and-replace jobs.
-No one on your crew can do anything without buying a book that costs a significant portion of the cost of a ship (400-1200+ gold, when you get about 300 for plundering a level 5 vessel), and these books can only be used once. For the longest time you will have a deck covered in pirate feces and one person with the ability to pick up turds and throw them into the water. Also poop "humor" is a huge part of this game, and I don't mean like lots of dialogue or jokes about poo, I mean the presence of poo as the joke in itself. This backfires when it turns into a tedious mechanic by which too much poo decreases morale, which can only be increased by paying your crew's salary.
-You can mutiny against yourself if you don't pay yourself your own salary.

I'm missing a lot of things- this is just what comes up off the top of my head after having played the game for a few days after this post went up. Ultimately, the game is very bland and samey- because there's so little interaction, the lack of variation between things you can do and see is even more glaring. Even if all these glaring issues were fixed and the game were streamlined to be smooth as hell, it'd still be a very tedious and poorly executed variation on an idea that could've been done pretty well. This game cost me $2.50 and that's one less burger in my life. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Yes...
Tons of things that should be changed also *cough* *cough* Legendary pirates that are tier 10000 are as strong as tier 8 or 9 pirates *cough* *cough*

Maybe you could say what's wrong with the game, and provide some constructive criticism instead of just saying "it's bad, don't buy it".
For me it's a good concept, they just didn't follow through very well.

It's hard to see with the strange graphic "3D" style-shader. And I can't really tell what I'm supposed to do, or even the controls... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom