Post Count Includes Forum Games Section

Bonabopn

Official Terrarian
Posts in the Forum Games section count towards your Post Count, which encourages spam. :c
I suggest that all posts in that section do not count towards your post count.

Im sorry but I heavily disagree with the above statement,forum games have always been one of the most fun parts of the forums so I would suggest to not take that away:happy:

Why does post count, or participating in Forum games, encourage spam?

Of what value is an elevated post count here? The trophy awards for posts/likes cap out at 1000 each, which isn't very much. Even if the trophy system is expanded, it is highly unlikely that new trophies will involve higher post/like counts.

I would say that Forum Games actually help prevent spam by giving an outlet for those who like to post a lot, without disturbing other threads.

Im sorry but I heavily disagree with the above statement,forum games have always been one of the most fun parts of the forums so I would suggest to not take that away:happy:

I'm sorry, but I heavily disagree with the above statement. Forum games have always been the most fun parts of forums, so I would suggest for postcount tracking in them to be taken away.

.. Yeah, think about that. Some of these games encourage constant posting, which may be frequently visited by people hungry for flaunting higher postcount. Infact, most people shouldn't even post in the forum game threads until 2 people post after them.

I don't think that Bonapopn is suggesting removing the Forum Games section, merely making it so that they do not contribute towards post count.

Yes, this is the case. I didn't think the above two actually missed that we were talking about postcounts.

Last edited:
I don't think that Bonapopn is suggesting removing the Forum Games section, merely making it so that they do not contribute towards post count. It isn't a significant stretch of imagination to see that many of the users in that section already have many hundreds more posts than the average user, some rapidly approaching the number one poster on the forums, surpassing Loki, who has been making posts on this site for nearly six months now.

If a member is disrupting a Forum Game thread by not following the rules of the game, then report the activity and the staff will handle it.

Loki's post count came during a time when others had no access to post - I highly doubt that HE minds if others pass him, no matter who or how they did it.

Guys, post counts, like counts, trophies & titles - they are just there for fun and/or meaningless statistics.

None of that dictates or determines the level of validity of a post nor contribution to the community. We left off trophy points and the like for a reason - and it aligns with the logic above.

No one should get stressed about this stuff. It's who you are, what you do, and - most importantly - how you treat others here that define you - not some title banner or number on your profile.

Happy to hear if the community at large agrees one way or the other....but I highly suspect a "split" vote which would cause us to fall back on the logic above.

I do think they should be pulled off of the main page feed.

Just sharing the thinking here. :)

Forum games are just, well, games. They shouldn't be taken seriously at all (and anyone who finds themselves overreacting to them may need to take a step back). The games are there for silly fun, not to increase a meaningless number on your computer screen. While I don't think they necessarily encourage spam, I think blatant spamming with the intent of making post counts a competition should be treated as any other spam on the forum - that's not why forum games are there.

I had an idea that I shared with TK the other day, and it might be able to work as a compromise between "Posts shouldn't increment in this section" vs "Allow us to post as much as we want in this section". The idea, which might prove healthy for the community, would be to remove the "Most Likes" and "Most Messages" tabs from the Notable Members page. This would get rid of the notion that posting is a competition, which I've noticed in the community, and don't think is healthy at all. Posts should for fun, and to bring new things to discussion. Not to add more digits to your post count.

I also agree that forum games should be taken off the main portal's "Recent Threads" feed. It makes it difficult to find the active Terraria-related discussions easily.

I do not personally think this is actually a problem, however most forums i've been to in the past have done so. I just wanted to suggest it. c:

Honestly, this doesn't at all matter. So what someone has a lot of posts, all it is a number, whether they post high-quality suggestions and the sort or continuously reply to forum games. Though bringing this up is nonetheless okay.

I'm going to bring this topic back up again. What I'm worried about is the pages being covered with the same person posting constantly whenever another posts. Either they're trying to rack up attention or build up their postcount, it doesn't change the fact that the spam meant to boost their own ego will make the threads unbearable to even look at.

Unbearable pages or not, it should always be set that posting in forum game sections should NOT count torward your postcount. I'd love to see that placed in there.

If you want to say "oh but it's just numbers" then you probably didn't read the underlined. Good job!

Last edited:
it doesn't change the fact that the spam meant to boost their own ego will make the threads unbearable to even look at.
Does it really matter? I mean, are forum games really meant to be read? All forum games do is supply a person with entertainment or something to do when they’re bored. I really doubt people would go to these forums to read. That’s what the literature section is for ;)

At first, I was kind of against the face that forum posts increment towards post count but now I've realized, and I stated previously, that it doesn't really matter. If they want a high number of posts, then be it. All we can do is leave them peaceful.

People who are doing it for the post count would just find somewhere else to do it - a social group, off-topic, etc.

Having the highest post/like/trophy count is just another forum game.

People who are doing it for the post count would just find somewhere else to do it - a social group, off-topic, etc.

Having the highest post/like/trophy count is just another forum game.

This man speaks wisdom.

If I rename Forum Games to "Post Spam/Farming Quarantine Zone", would that help. ;)

"I don't like this forum section so it should stop existing/not count towards this imaginary e-peen measuring system I take way too seriously."

Okay, the trading forums and clans should be deleted, then. :dryadtongue:

It isn't all post spam, some others just like to play around in that area.

It was a joke. :p

"I don't like this forum section so it should stop existing/not count towards this imaginary e-peen measuring system I take way too seriously."

Okay, the trading forums and clans should be deleted, then. :dryadtongue:

Ok we've made our logic clear guys...let's not start sniping other sections and/or each other.

Having them count harms no one.

Back
Top Bottom