Items Pre Hardmode Goblin Army need better loot

Nakano15

Terrarian
The Goblin Army on Pre-Hardmode doesn't really offer much you could use, the only things you can get from the event, are the Spiky Balls, and the Harpoon.
One will defnitely want to play it, just to unlock the Goblin Tinkerer. Other than that, only on Hardmode to have the event offer you some interesting loot.

My idea is to add some pre-hardmode weapons and/or accessories that can drop from the Goblins.
I'll even try to make up some ideas of items based on the mobs themselves:
  • Goblin Sword (lacks a better name): Drops from Goblin Warrior. Somewhat stronger than Evil Swords (Crimson and Corruption). Causing a higher knockback than the evil swords could be handy.
  • Peon Axe: Drops from Goblin Peon. Beside being better in status compared to Evil Axes, could also allow one to break doors and wooden structures. Or be used as a weapon too. Maybe slower speed than Goblin Sword, but higher critical rate.
  • Black Glove (Lacks better name): Drops from Goblin Thief. Improves the drop rate of items when killing monsters with it equipped.
  • Dark Arts Book: Drops from Goblin Sorcerer. Magic weapon that launches a Chaos Bolt in the aimed position. A bit stronger than Water Bolt Book, but without bouncing. Slower firing rate and Ignores part of the defense of the target.
  • Goblin Bow (Yeah, item name isn't my thing, I guess): Drops from Goblin Archer. Stronger than Evil Bows. Arrows fired by this bow pierces through a limited number of foes, losing their damage as they hit monsters.
  • Goblin War Banner: Drops from any Goblin with a small chance. Empowers summons when equipped, increasing their damage.
Those are some ideas I have for pre-hardmode Goblin Army loot. Not necessary to implement those item ideas, but some more handy items dropped from the event would be interesting.
The idea could be further expanded with goblin equipment loot, but I doubt the developers would be very happy about implementing that.
If each different goblin type dropped their equipment as a set, could be new build type one could use on pre-hardmode.

Well, that is it for my ideas. The Goblin Army really needs some extra loot on pre-hardmode, to make the event more relevant, even more in comparission with other events, that happen on hardmode. Beside, I think the Goblin Army offers more interesting loot than the Frost Legion.

Goblin Sword (lacks a better name): Drops from Goblin Warrior. Somewhat stronger than Evil Swords (Crimson and Corruption). Causing a higher knockback than the evil swords could be handy.
  • Peon Axe: Drops from Goblin Peon. Beside being better in status compared to Evil Axes, could also allow one to break doors and wooden structures. Or be used as a weapon too. Maybe slower speed than Goblin Sword, but higher critical rate.
  • Black Glove (Lacks better name): Drops from Goblin Thief. Improves the drop rate of items when killing monsters with it equipped.
  • Goblin War Banner: Drops from any Goblin with a small chance. Empowers summons when equipped, increasing their damage.
Support for all of these.
  • Dark Arts Book: Drops from Goblin Sorcerer. Magic weapon that launches a Chaos Bolt in the aimed position. A bit stronger than Water Bolt Book, but without bouncing. Slower firing rate and Ignores part of the defense of the target.
Water Bolt is post skely boi, having one obtainable before it that is stronger doesn't make much sense. Also, I'm opposed to the idea of the water bolt without bouncing in the first place. It needs to be a bit more unique.
  • Goblin Bow (Yeah, item name isn't my thing, I guess): Drops from Goblin Archer. Stronger than Evil Bows. Arrows fired by this bow pierces through a limited number of foes, losing their damage as they hit monsters.
I think its fine without the piercing capabilities.

First of all, I disagree that the Goblin Army necessarily needs better loot in pre-Hardmode. It's supposed to be Baby's First Invasion, and it does that job well enough. And besides, the Goblin Tinkerer is easily one of the most important NPCs in the entire game. That doesn't mean that I'm against the concept of adding more loot, but I will need to be convinced that the loot suggested actually would be a good addition.

On that note, I need to see some numbers for these items. Specifically, the Black Glove and the Goblin War Banner. Exactly how big of a buff are these giving you? Also, the Dark Arts Book being stronger than the Water Bolt probably is not a good idea. This is a drop from the Goblin Invasion, which is pre-evil boss. The rest of the weapons seem OK, seeing as how the "evil sword" is also pre-evil boss.

I just tossed item ideas based on the gobllin army npcs. Isn't really necessary to exactly implement those items as loot to the invasion,
if the devs add handy items that can be acquired from the invasion on pre-hardmode, I will already be okay with that.

The vagueness about status and stuff is kinda intended, because I preffer to leave that up to the developer to choose what to do about
the status, while also balancing some way they want.

And yeah, Dark Arts Book being stronger than Water Bolt is not really a good idea, but I wanted to make the weapon be handy on
pre-hardmode, as an alternative to Water Bolt, which I couldn't find ideas of what to do. Definitely making it devalue Water Bolt
is not a good idea.
Inflicting Shadowflame would probably be way too op, so at least the Defense Ignore I thought would be fine. Unless... Maybe its
bolts explodes?

The Black Glove, I'd say about 10~20% drop rate boost. Probably 15%. Goblin War Banner could increase by 10%, so it doesn't devalues
Summoner Emblem.

Also, the description of evil swords, is like in tier ranking. The goblin weapons would be somewhat stronger than evil weapons.

the only actual reward for the goblin army is the tinkerer, which is good but isnt really an instant material reward, so i agree there needs to be more rewards that are actually good unlike the harpoon and the niche spike balls which are mainly good for fighting the army itself

plus new players would have no connection between defeating the army and then finding the tinkerer in a cave, they might see no reason to fight the army then wonder why the tinkerer is taking so long to show up

Honestly, I think being able to find the Goblin Tinkerer is more than enough of a reward. (If you can count someone who takes all your money as a reward... :p)
I mean.. If that's the only benefit the event has on pre-hardmode, then the moments it happens again and goblin peons break your door are just an annoyance, since nothing interesting will come from the event.
the only actual reward for the goblin army is the tinkerer, which is good but isnt really an instant material reward, so i agree there needs to be more rewards that are actually good unlike the harpoon and the niche spike balls which are mainly good for fighting the army itself

plus new players would have no connection between defeating the army and then finding the tinkerer in a cave, they might see no reason to fight the army then wonder why the tinkerer is taking so long to show up
Exactly. I believe the only thing from the invasion that would make someone kinda happy, would be the Harpoon, because depending on how close to the foe you fire it, the dps is higher. New players can still get a clue as to why the Goblin Tinkerer begins appearing in the underground upon rescue, since he says that was tied up by other goblins and tossed underground. Beside I think there's other dialogues from him that also point to that.

The Black Glove, I'd say about 10~20% drop rate boost. Probably 15%. Goblin War Banner could increase by 10%, so it doesn't devalues
Summoner Emblem.
15% drop rate boost is roughly equivalent to 0.15 Luck Up, which is more than any other accessory, but I suppose that since it's all it does, it's probably fine. And a 10% Summoner damage increase pre-evil boss is probably fine as well, since it'll just get outclassed by the OOA accessories post-evil boss, which provide the same amount of damage increase as well as giving +1 sentry.

unable to quote for some reason, but the goblin tinkerer also isn't used very much in classic, not until at least until plantera-ish typically. so he's not even very much of a reward for classic players.

Maybe the warriors could drop broken armor pieces and the archers could drops trashy bows. These wouldn’t be useable as the items they are, similar to how the broken hero sword can’t be used as a sword, but they can be sold for a little bit. Only a little bit. And not to the tinkerer.

unable to quote for some reason, but the goblin tinkerer also isn't used very much in classic, not until at least until plantera-ish typically. so he's not even very much of a reward for classic players.
What do you mean? He sells the Tinkerer's Workshop, an essential crafting station, and reforging is always useful no matter what difficulty you're on.

i actually forget he even sells that, lmao
So did I, to be honest. Whoops! :D Though I did use the Goblin Tinkerer a bit in classic mode(though you do have a point, because my only memories of doing so often were post-plantera, more more accurately, post-golem....)

As for the invasion itself, maybe a summon item that summons a little goblin(I have no idea what kind) to help you fight? Probably 15-20 summon damage?

Maybe the warriors could drop broken armor pieces and the archers could drops trashy bows. These wouldn’t be useable as the items they are, similar to how the broken hero sword can’t be used as a sword, but they can be sold for a little bit. Only a little bit. And not to the tinkerer.
I don't think it's a good idea to add more clutter to the game. If they were to drop broken weapons, would need to be able to
craft something out of them. Also, if it's about making golds, they drop coins upon death.
Beside, if that would be the case, would leave the opening to allow crafting pre-hardmode and hardmode weapons with those materials.
That would be handy too.
i actually forget he even sells that, lmao
Don't forget the Rocket Boots too, which you can merge with running accessories, to create the Spectre Boots, whose can also be used to upgrade it to faster boot.

I don't think it's a good idea to add more clutter to the game. If they were to drop broken weapons, would need to be able to
craft something out of them.
Ok then. The broken armor could be made into Bulky armor which would have slightly more defense than the evil ore armor, but only give defense boosts like weaker armors. The bows could make sturdy bows that are the slightly better than evil ore bows.

Back
Top Bottom