Game Mechanics Providing a damage debuff to Cursed Inferno

What should the Cursed Jawbone do?

• Total voters
With expert mode, Cursed Flames need a buff more than ever. Corruption wouldn't simply be worth to play through if not for the worm scarf right now.

I totally support cursed inferno getting buffed, but if this jawbone thingy was to be introduced, i think it should just amplify the effects of the debuff, rather than increasing its duration.

Say you're a melee user (like myself), and you are using a flask. All of your attacks will inflict the debuff, so an increase in duration is completely useless.

Say you're a melee user (like myself), and you are using a flask. All of your attacks will inflict the debuff, so an increase in duration is completely useless.
Longer duration = more afflicted enemies at once. A duration of one second would only let you keep two or three enemies aflame at once. A duration of 5 seconds greatly increases the size of the potential afflicted crowd. Infinite duration would mean that you could sweep through vast armies and leave glorious and unending burning destruction in your wake.

So yeah, duration does matter. :cool:

Longer duration = more afflicted enemies at once. A duration of one second would only let you keep two or three enemies aflame at once. A duration of 5 seconds greatly increases the size of the potential afflicted crowd. Infinite duration would mean that you could sweep through vast armies and leave glorious and unending burning destruction in your wake.

So yeah, duration does matter. :cool:

You've got a point. Doesn't do much for boss fights, though.

This thread was created mainly to suggest one change, a rather small one.

Cursed Inferno, in addition to dealing damage over time, would now reduce the afflicted entity's damage output by 20% (rounded up). Not only does it add some variety to the group of mostly identical debuffs consisting of Poison, On Fire!, Venom, Frostburn, and Cursed Inferno, but it gives some incentive to use the Cursed Flames spell in a boss fight, giving it a shot at competing with the Golden Shower in usage and popularity.

I felt that it would be most efficient to add this effect to an existing debuff rather than adding a new one, and besides, we all know that Cursed Inferno needed to be buffed.

But you know me. I'd be a little embarrassed to create a thread that suggests something so simple and easy to add. So, bonus accessory! (One that's somewhat related to the subject, thankfully.)

View attachment 20409
Cursed Jawbone

Dropped by Giant Cursed Skull, 4%

Debuffs inflicted by the player have no time limit.

Obviously, this is really handy against bosses that aren't immune. I don't think it affects balance by too much, though, since the only two relevant debuffs would be Ichor and Cursed Inferno. If you have an argument about the DoT being overpowered against bosses, please watch @General Milky's 40-minute Plantera kill with a Copper Shortsword before you post here.

(As suggested by @FlakMaster, the Cursed Jawbone can simply double debuff duration against bosses, if that's what people prefer.)

Obviously, an offensive accessory with no tinkers won't be a viable addition. Hello, Charm of Myths!

View attachment 20410
Necro Ring

Increases health regeneration, reduces Potion Sickness to 45 seconds, and player-inflicted debuffs are permanent.

If the tinker is instead with my Alchemist Charm, the Necro Ring would come with the additional bonus of doubling the duration of buffs.

The Cursed Jawbone isn't an "official" part of this suggestion, which is mainly about Cursed Inferno. Nevertheless, I thought it would be nice to introduce a little controversy. (Baconfry, you strategic bastard!)

Feel free to discuss implications here!

I will note something, and it applies to all current and future threads by all members.

If you're here to voice support and don't have anything else to say, just use the like button. I, personally, do not particularly care about seals of approval, nor about my support level expressed as an arbitrary percentage. What I do like to see is meaningful discussion, perhaps alternate methods or areas of further development. "10/10 full support" does not fit that bill.

But let's not end on a sour note! Shall we get the ball rolling?
Good idea, could use more accessories (Gotta be FABULOUS)

Cursed Inferno has always been sort of a letdown, and it's never held up to Ichor. Although this suggestion could make the Spazmatism even more annoying, it's original, and I wouldn't mind seeing it added. Plus, the idea of permanent Ichor seems awesome.

I support this idea. Cursed Inferno is almost like On Fire, except that it works under water too. The lowered damage mechanic sounds good and may be useful. Yeah, Corruption should have some stuff, because many items seem weaker than the Crimson tier.

I have to say that cursed inferno will match ichor in all enemies affected(e.g. Skeletron Prime is affected by Ichor yet not Cursed Flames, if this is the “counterpart” they should be equal in terms of enemies affected by the debuff)

Back
Top Bottom