Game Mechanics Quick Trash Hotkey Customization

Inkylua

Terrarian
OK I know this has been said before, but I just have to make a post about it in case anyone at Re Logic thinks this isn't still an issue.

We REALLY need some way of either disabling the quick trash feature altogether in the settings, or adjusting its hotkey to something of our own preference. Maybe this has been hardcoded in for some bizarre reason, but even if it has, it really needs to change. The quick trash and quick move buttons are right next to each other, and the only option in the menus is to swap their positions. I literally have a friend I would love to play this game with who will not play the game in large part due to how you can accidentally delete hours of progress because you accidentally pressed the wrong button. And, to make it worse, those two buttons are often used in other similar games, like minecraft, for different sorts of quick actions in inventory management, none of which involve permanent deletion, so his muscle memory is literally working against him here.

Favoriting is helpful! And not the issue here! Favoriting is a useful tool to make sure that while trashing large sections of your inventory, you don't accidentally trash something you actually cared about. While trying to quick move things into chests, you have to have everything you want to move not marked as a favorite anyways (unless I am remembering that incorrectly). Regardless, it is not an automatic process, and so even if you could quick move favorited items from your inventory into a chest, that relies entirely on the player not being braindead. And that is literally the problem with having the two buttons fixed right next to each other; if you're braindead for a moment, you delete hours of progress. Maybe days, if you just beat a boss you'd been working on for a while, and then accidentally trash their drops trying to get them safely in a chest.

This isn't a question of design philosophy in UI and control schemes. This is just... bad. Literally the only solution I have ever seen is someone using autohotkey or something to force the computer to input some other key when lControl is pressed. And that causes other problems, since smart cursor is triggered by using lControl! Y'all have one update left, PLEASE include this in here. I want to play this game with this person, and as long as this is a part of the game, I really doubt they will ever be willing to play it. And that's a shame, because this is an AMAZING game.

Back
Top Bottom