tModLoader Random Improvements!

Yuyutsu

Dungeon Spirit
Hey, guys! Yuyutsu here, and I'm back with a new mod of mine-

Random Improvements!

Now, as the name suggests, this mod adds random things to the game. Most of them are visual changes. A full list can be seen below.
There isn't too much else to be said about the mod- I made it because I was bored and had a large amount of ideas that wouldn't fit in any of my other mods. So, enjoy!

The following items now float in water:
- All Fish
- Gel and Pink Gel
- Wooden and Jungle Crate
- Rotten Chunks
- All Bait (not bugs)​

The following items now float in the air:
- Clouds and Cloud Walls
- Rain Clouds
- All Balloons (except Balloons with Horseshoes)​

The following items now have glowmasks and emit light when dropped in the overworld:
- Solar Eruption, Daybreak, Solar Wings
- Stardust Cell Staff, Stardust Dragon Staff, Stardust Wings
- Hellwing Bow, Hel-Fire
- Starfury, Star Cannon
- Christmas Tree Sword
The following items now emit different dusts in the overworld:
- All Ores
- All Gems
Misc Changes:
- Jellyfish Necklace item now emits light when underwater
- Right clicking a Tent (ambient object) gives you the 'Regeneration' buff for 1 minute
The Following NPCs now display on the Lifeform Analyzer:
- Skeleton Merchant, Undead Miner, Medusa (uncommon)
- Voodoo Demon, Goblin Sorcerer, Pirate Captain, Mothron (semi-rare)
- Present Mimic (rare)
Big thanks to @sharkman0101 for letting me use his ideas!
The following NPCs now produce dust when hit:
- Goblin Sorcerer, Goblin Summoner, Tim
- Rune Wizard​
Here are a couple of screenshots showing the changes in game:
vile.gif

fish.gif
Download:
- Mod Browser
- Mediafire
- Attached File

Credits:
Thanks to @East and @Zach_ for help with code!

The good thing about this mod is that it's flexible and very easy to work on, so I'd love to quickly add any suggestions/bugfixes you guys have for Random Improvements! Thank you for your time, I hope you like it!

Last edited:
Very nice, love the changes you made when floating in water or air. Something I would definitely keep an eye out for this mod :D

I'll definitely try this mod out. Who knew a few minor changes could make such a difference to the atmosphere of the game?

Got a couple questions for you all!

I plan to add Glowmasks and Expert AI modifications for a few enemies. A few ideas are in detail below:
- Goblin Thief/Pirate Deckhand steal money from the Player's inventory
- Spore/Shroom Zombies spawn damaging spores when hurt
- Goblin/Pirate Archers can shoot Flaming/Cursed Arrows at the player in addition to regular ammo

- Glowmasks for Goblin Apparition/Granite Elemental/Meteor Head

My questions are:
Thoughts on expert AI changes? Are they necessary? Do they make the game too difficult?
Do glowmasks make enemies too easy to see? Should they only activate when the enemy is close to the player?

Thanks!

Got a couple questions for you all!

I plan to add Glowmasks and Expert AI modifications for a few enemies. A few ideas are in detail below:
- Goblin Thief/Pirate Deckhand steal money from the Player's inventory
- Spore/Shroom Zombies spawn damaging spores when hurt
- Goblin/Pirate Archers can shoot Flaming/Cursed Arrows at the player in addition to regular ammo

- Glowmasks for Goblin Apparition/Granite Elemental/Meteor Head

My questions are:
Thoughts on expert AI changes? Are they necessary? Do they make the game too difficult?
Do glowmasks make enemies too easy to see? Should they only activate when the enemy is close to the player?

Thanks!
All additional damage/money-stealing abilities should be held just for expert imo.

Glowmasks for all difficulty levels sounds fine, as long as they are the appropriate color of course (dark blue for Granite Elemental, red-orange for Meteor Head etc). It would be interesting if *some* of them only activated when getting close to the player, like the Goblin Apparition. Doesn't seem appropriate for 'simpler' enemies like Meteor Heads. Loving all of your ideas in this thread!

It's slightly off-topic -- but also worth noting how amazing all your mini-biome and other conceptual threads have been (along with all the work you've put into them), which I've only just noticed today. Of course I'd love to see you all of that content put into a mod such as this one (or incorporated into your older but still incredible Spelunker Surge mod) as well, if you're crazy and kind enough to consider it down the line.

Regardless, your work is amazing. :)

Good luck in the future, you should add that cavern thing I suggested you :D

Though there is a problem, ores shouldn't emit dust like that it may render spelunker potion a little bit useless, instead make them emit the dust when player is nearby

Good luck in the future, you should add that cavern thing I suggested you :D

Though there is a problem, ores shouldn't emit dust like that it may render spelunker potion a little bit useless, instead make them emit the dust when player is nearby
Thanks! I’ll try :p
The dust thing only applies to ore items in the overworld, not the tile itself, so that you pick up all the ore you’ve already mined :)

Hello, all! Got an update for you guys! I've focused on NPCs this update! Here's a formal changelog:

Update 0.1.1:
- All Quest Fish now float

The Following NPCs now have Glowmasks and emit light:
- Meteor Head
- Etherian Lightning Bug
- Granite Elemental/Granite Goelm (only when close to the player)
- Angler Fish (only when the player and the fish are underwater)

The Following NPCs now display on the Lifeform Analyzer:
- Skeleton Merchant, Undead Miner, Medusa (uncommon)
- Voodoo Demon, Goblin Sorcerer, Pirate Captain, Mothron (semi-rare)
- Present Mimic (rare)
Big thanks to @sharkman0101 for letting me use his ideas!

The following NPCs now produce dust when hit:
- Goblin Sorcerer, Goblin Summoner, Tim
- Rune Wizard

Download:
- Mod Browser
- Mediafire
- Attached File

Attachments

• QOL.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 120
Looks interesting! Maybe all the NPC's that you find in the world can show up on the Lifeform Analyzer as well, that would make them much easier to find. (Goblin Tinkerer, Stylist, Bartender, Wizard, etc.)

Hello there, just wanting to come by and let you know that, while I have this mof installed, it seems to cause an issue where the Old One's Army event, where any creatures that spawn from the Portals despawn before they enter the player's render distance, or unless the player is extremely close to the creatures. And any of the Goblins killed offscreen (for example, from using a Water Bolt) do not count to the clear %.

I have been playing with about 42 mods at this point, and actually went through the process of uninsalling them all, and reinstalling them 1 by 1 to find out it was this nice little mod causing the issue.

We're on a roll! Here's an update for you all, v0.1.2

Changelog

- Fixed Stardust Dragon glowmasks crashing worlds due to being a .gif and not a .png
- Fixed any interference with the Old One's Army. Unfortunately, the tradeoff was the removal of glowmasks for vanilla enemies

Here we go! Download on the mod browser or with the attached file!

Attachments

• Improvements.zip
    15 KB · Views: 126
Hey!
Just popping by to mention the Present Mimic shouldn't really be listed as rare, or even on the Lifeform Analyzer. It's solely a Frost Moon enemy, and to my knowledge, no enemies in those events appear on the radar (for good reason: these events spam enemies everywhere. Nothing is rare.)
I understand it's a Mimic type, but it doesn't have typical Mimic rewards or anything, it's just more cannon fodder for the event.
I don't feel like it has a place on the radar as a result.

On a similar note, in the description above you say Goblin Sorcerer appears on the radar. I assume you mean Goblin Summoner, the hardmode Goblin miniboss.

Also, admittedly I don't understand all this fuss about glowmasks. Isn't that a thing in Vanilla? I'm sure I've seen vanilla items that glow when dropped, and when used, etc., same with enemies. Why are adding modded glowmasks causing issues with Vanilla ones? Is the code for them just kind of awkward?

Back
Top Bottom