Game Mechanics Slimes vs fire

Whallers

Terrarian
So you know that you make torches out of gel right? Gel comes from slimes, so shouldn't fire arrows be a lot more efficent against the King Slime or any other slime? This thing should apply to other mobs too but not only in advantage, like if you shoot a wasp with a bee gun it should do less damage. Thanks for reading -Whallers

hmmm, no not really,

This needs a new mechanic and a lot of changes to many enemies.
Terraria is a game of creative freedom, not about "I need to use this type of weapon because that type is more effective".

...although, stuff like that is kinda already present in game, taking piercing, crowd control, and single target weapons as a great example.

Sorry, no support, Spiky balls are already effective against goblins anyway

Would be a good idea if Fire debuff were very effective against slimes, beside would be a
nightmare if there were Oil Slimes aswell. e.e

It is interesting, but is it going to add much to the game as a whole?

Not saying it in of itself is bad, but there are pros and cons to such a thing.

If the damage system is simple, then the weapon concerns are simple, since they'd do about the same damage to everything. This makes the progression of newer and better weapons for each stage of play relatively easy to design and control. However, it simplifies things down to basic attack strategies, and doesn't offer much depth in that aspect of gameplay.

If the damage is detailed, then what weapon (and ammo) you have becomes more of a concern. This adds a layer of complexity that can make things more engaging and advanced, to where the weapon with the highest damage stat isn't automatically better. However, this adds another dimension of game design and balancing, which slows things down as developers try to deal with more factors. This also makes it hard for the player to keep up if the need to upgrade before each stage is too rapid. Not only will players need to carry more weapon types to optimally handle the wide variety of circumstances they'd run into (if they want to be optimal), but also have to figure out and rebuild a new set of weapons as the power of the encounter slowly creeps up.

Right now, we have a lot of weapons, but none of them are particularly designed to work well with one enemy vs another. Some happen to work well vs some types, out of how the game mechanics are; but as far as I know, the game doesn't have something like a Ogre Slaying Knife that does +9 vs Ogre type enemies (if there were Ogres.. or knives.. or whatever the hell a "+9" is).

Also...
And spiky balls against goblins..
What do you mean by this?
Sorry, no support, Spiky balls are already effective against goblins anyway
Some might think the above, but based on the post before, it sounds like you want to have spike balls do less damage to Goblins.

Some might think the above, but based on the post before, it sounds like you want to have spike balls do less damage to Goblins.
It would be too confusing to remember all the things whether they will be effective or not. This is a game where different weapons with different abilities are the key to be more effective.

It's damage shouldn't be stronger or weaker against certain enemies because the game says so. Terraria is a sandbox, not an RPG.

@ppowersteef
That was kind of an odd part to quote me on. I was actually trying to address to Whallers the ambiguity of the second post they made, and used your quote as an example of one interpretation on it while I gave the other possible interpretation.

I thought the rest of my post kind of explained why the simplier damage system design was preferable, while trying not to tell others what to think.

The progression of power goes up too fast to have anything more elaborate and still keep it fun.

It is the general style of the game, things are somewhat simple all around, and that is what people seem to like about it.

Back
Top Bottom