So.. What does one actually DO in Minecraft?

So... 1.18 has been officially out for.. awhile.

Been distracted by plenty of other games, but during all of that, I tried to pick at and poke at Minecraft a little now and then, and... eh. I'm getting a very mixed feelings about 1.18.

I like some of the stuff they added, some of the tweaks and such, but yet other things I am finding myself not liking much at all, like...

1). Villages being harder to find. Okay, so they talk about villages being bigger with more villagers, but yet the villages are spaced more far apart. A couple different maps now, I've had to wander more than 2,000 blocks to finally find a village and half of the time I can't remember the way back to the starting location. I think I preferred more plentiful but smaller villages to be honest.

2). Caves and Cliffs. I know that's the name of the update, but c'mon, seriously. Does every map need to be 90% filled with mountains with huge holes in them? I get that it was boring before when caves were tiny and few and far between where you had to dig and dig and dig before you finally found a cave... but now... there's almost zero flat terrain or anything resembling plains, you almost always start next to a bunch of mountains and large bodies of water leaving no room for you to grow crops unless you do a crapton of digging and tearing up the terrain (taking hours to do so while you're at it), but it's also annoying to just try to navigate all the mountains everywhere. It would have been nice if the landscapes had more variety instead of everything being a mountain range, especially near the starting location. Oh, and... remember above where I said villages are hard to find? They are almost always glitched, too, because they spawn in the midst of sheer cliff faces. Half of the houses don't spawn, because there's nowhere for them TO spawn.
Are you playing on java or bedrock? Depending on which version you use I can give you some tips for quicker travel between locations and just general things you might need help with.

Based on the posts I've seen you have found some diamonds and made it to the nether, you have found a village although it is quite a distance away.

Some decently easy solutions to your problem of having found a village but it is far away and it is tough to return to your base are 1. Using the F3 debug menu to find and save the coordinates of both locations using either paper or something that can serve the same purpose, 2. Making a portal at your base and a second one at the village then building a tunnel high in the nether for quicker travel (8 blocks in the normal world is 1 block in the nether) or if you aren't opposed to using the nether roof (which some people view as cheating or close to cheating) watch a couple of videos on that (mobs cannot spawn on the nether roof making a safer place than the normal nether) if you choose to use the nether roof a path or trail of carpets isn't a bad idea for marking your way.

For gathering and finding resources in 1.18 the best way I have found so far is to run through the larger cave down below y=0, rarer resources become more plentiful the deeper into the world you go, for gold and iron is you want plenty of those building a farm is recommended. I highly recommend building a mob grinder within 30 blocks from your base so that while you are there you can be passively gain mob drops. Carrot, potatoes, wheat, and beetroot are easy to farm in high amounts if you make an 18x18 farm with a water source 4 blocks away from each corner. Building a sugar cane farm is simple and useful as you do need over two stacks of paper to make the bookshelves needed for an enchantment table.

Pretty much the goal of Minecraft is to defeat the ended dragon and then if you’re strong enough defeat the wither

Minecraft is great but tbh the base game is not as content rich as Terraria. Thankfully that can be fixed with mods. I hardly play vanilla these days. There's also a mod based on Terraria but it's still in the early stages so it's kinda low on content. It's fun but there's not much to do since there's only 2 bosses, Summoner and Mage weapons are mostly non-existent, Hell is unfinished, and Hardmode doesn't exist yet (unless you are willing to edit files).

I usually play the game with seed that at least has a village, an illager tower, and it would also be nice, a woodland mansion. Since random seed only kills me with the boredom of exploring and searching for them in the beginning.

As for what I do in Minecraft? Well, I never bother myself to defeat the Ender Dragon nor the Wither. It's just pointless effort for me (the expense is not worth the result). I usually just like to renovate village or mansion to my taste and style (the default is just plain, inconsistent, and hazardous in my opinion). Basically, renovating existing buildings and building more buildings are usually the things I do in Minecraft. Build there, build here!

So, after a long hiatus, I decided to try minecraft again... and it took many, many tries to get a 1.18.2 start that was something sensible.

I kept getting snowy biomes, near the ocean, a million huge mountains all around, etc. But finally I got a semi-decent flat-ish parcel of land near the ocean, with a mountain nearby, and a decent number of trees, and I finally built my first house instead of just living out of a hole in the ground:

Not the fanciest looking house, but it's spacious, at least.

Not sure if this is enough room for all the crafting machines/storage I'll need, but it can be expanded thanks to it being underground.

This is only a couple 9x9 fields I started, room for plenty more down a short hill beyond for ranching areas, more fields, etc.

Well the first couple starts I did, I dug into the side of a mountain because, well, why not? Easiest way to get shelter. Fast, simple, and easy.

And a 2nd door in the back can lead to stairs down into the caves, and you tend to start finding iron rather quickly.

Well the first couple starts I did, I dug into the side of a mountain because, well, why not? Easiest way to get shelter. Fast, simple, and easy.

And a 2nd door in the back can lead to stairs down into the caves, and you tend to start finding iron rather quickly.
Wait, then similar to my starts.

Back
Top Bottom