Weapons & Equip Something about boomrangs and special ammo

Gaia_Bladeo

Terrarian
Hi guys, i've been thinking about a little fonctionality which could help ranger:

Being able to change the current used ammo without opening your inventory!

As you know there are many differents arrows and bullets with differents special effect in this game, but you can't switch ammo in a fight
without risking to take damage since you have to directly open your inventory and replace your ammos in the order you want, and during thoose fews second,
it's harder to concentrate about dodging, and you also can't DPS, so you usually stay with the same ammo all the time.

"But why would I want to change my current ammo in a middle of a fight?"

1-Against boss with differents "phase"

Most boss in this game now got differents "phase" during the battle, where after getting injured, they become realy angry and their attacks change,
from a simple "It's okay i'm just gonna keep dodging thoose projectiles and destroy him" to "OMG RUN". During both of thoose phase, some special effects may be better than
others to destroy a boss (Exemple below)
Strategy can change completely between their two forms, and changing ammo help to adapt to that strategy

2- Apply debuffs.
Specials ammos gives a lots of different debuff, and being able to switch between things like Ichor or Venom arrows/bullets in a second would be realy usefull against boss.
Stacking DoT like you can do with a melee or a magec ould be possible too. Also switching between Midas bullet and another damaging bullet would be a good way to farm golds

3- saving importants ammos.
Because seriously, ichor arrows & bullet for exemple apply a buff of 15 second, so we could use something else during this time like venom arrow/Bullets,
and only using Ichor arrows/bullets to refresh the debuff. Because exept if you like to farm the crimson you usualy try to save Ichors ammo for when you realy need them.
Or you just craft the spell. But well, why use magic when you can shot at everything?

4- Because some ammo are truly effective only during certains situations.
Holy arrows are a good exemple I think. A solar eclipse is happening, you are in your house, between two hills, and one of thoose hills is the entrance of a cave.
(Why would you use Holy arrow in a Solar eclipse? Well because you weren't prepared and you didn't had time to change them. That's all. Don't ask, really)
Result? During half of the fight you can't benefit of the Starfall damage, so during Half of this fight, it would be nice to be able to shoot with something else.

Same goes with piercing arrows and Hellfire arrow, which are only usefull against packs of mobs, or against boss that summon minions (Plantera spores)
(By the way it also would be nice if it was possible to hit multiple time with thoose arrows and a Tsunami / Clorophyte Shotbow. Sadly you can't, due to a longer invulnerability time apparently.I don't know if it is just a kind of bug or a way to balance the multiple-shot ability)

So here are for the main reasons.

If you want a concrete exemple, I think the Brain of Cthulhu is a good one. Imagine you had the possibility to swap ammo as you want:
On his first phase, the best way to shut down his "creepers" (I guess it called like that?) is to use Jester arrows. But then, when he comes to his second form,
Jester arrows are not that worth on him, and it's not the kind of arrow you want to use early on since they are not that easy to craft.
The Brain of Cthulu is vulnerable to On Fire! and Frostburn debuff.
So you could then swap between Fire and Ice arrow to proc thoose debuff, and taking him down way faster than if you were using only Jester arrows, plus you wouldn't
waste that much Jester arrow against a single target.

"So how could it works?"

Well i have some ideas about that:

A special button like for the grappling hook ,to swap your current used ammo with the next one in your inventory, or two to also be able to swap with the previous one.
It should be pretty easy to use and it should do the trick

Here's for my suggestion

So what do you think?

/!\ As TMB50 said, the boomrang idea has already been posted somewhere else, so forget about it, and go check the topic he linked. There's more things on it ( link in his post below)
The ammo quick switch still stand thougt /!\

One last thing:
It's the first time I post on the forum, and i didn't know if i had to put this in Equipements or Game mechanics, I personaly think it belongs to both... Also English is not my primary language, I took my time but it is surely not perfect, I still hope you will undestand what I mean. I'll edit it again if it's needed.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Okay gotta see this topic for the boomrang reforge then
At least there is still the ammo thing that hasn't been posted yet (I hope? x)

I edited my message and supressed all the boomrang-related idea since as you said it's exactly the same. I don't think i can edit the title thougt.

For the ammo, a special key like for changing weapon could help? But with only one key, which would make you use the ammo placed above or under the one you currently use in the "ammo" part of your inventory.

I think I saw something about switching the ammo types in combat. Someone said that it's to hard to open the inventory and move the bullets around when the boss changes modes. Unfortunately it's been a while and I can't remember the name of the thread.

I definitely agree with the first idea. Though I haven't myself been in a situation where I've needed to change ammunition, I'm sure an implementation like that could serve useful for others. And as well as that, the concept is interesting and I haven't seen something like it in a long, long time. Nice work, thread format and elaboration might be a priority for you, though.

I reworked the main post, it should be better now, and a bit less messed up, even if exemples makes it bigger. I may have to edit it again in the futur thougt because my english is far from perfect. I just hope i didn't missed an important point.

Back
Top Bottom