PC Speedrunning: One world to run?

Does this sound like a decent idea?

• Total voters
I suppose the title is misleading but let me explain.
In this community, we have quite a few runners i.e. @thevideogamebadger . They do amazing runs, rushing to Moonlord in under an hour or defeating all bosses. But...

What about a category where there is only one world to work with?

What I'm proposing here is to have a category that would mimic many games that get speedrunned: Only one world to work with that would be the same for everyone. I know it might seem counter-intuitive, but think about it this way. The community would be able to form routes for optimal runs, and / or forms routes faster than the previous route. Shortcuts, strategies, and more could be created to lower times. For all I know, this could turn into something like:

Well, the history of it, not the times themselves.

Anyway, I hope this idea could be potentially looked at, or even turned into a category.

Not sure what you mean by "category".

Speedrunning a game like Terraria makes little sense to me, when you can modify the world to suit yourself and most of the end-game gear is fairly OP.

Sounds like an interesting idea. The world would get to the point where everyone would know where things are and it would be about knowing how to get there faster and more efficiently, like in older games where individual frames could make the difference.

currently it won't work because terraria do not generate the same world with the same seed all the time. There are slightly chances nearly all the time (often minecart tracks or giant tress in jungle), Sometime the hole dungeon has different shapes. Furthermore also the used OS can have an influence.
So it would only work with downloading the map and that's too complicated to be successful. So wait at least for the next patch and hope same seed same world works.

And which properties should such a map have? many speed run techniques only work if there is a near arkhalis, snowball cannon, meteorite bars in normal chest, a shark statue near spawn/surface, the jungel temple and dungeon close by and many other stuff.

There are already seeded runs, which is effectively what you are asking for. Only difference is that you can use any world you want for the run. What happens in reality is that we find the BEST seed and run it to death. The current seeded moonlord time is insane in its optimization and RNG.

https://www.speedrun.com/terraria1.3.x

MaxOverPower and I have exchanged the wr multiple times on the same seed. Since we like it so much.

To address unftf's concern:
It is true that not all seeds generate exactly the same everytime; as they should. However, some seeds DO always generate correctly or have an extremely low chance of generating differently.
Mostly this isn't a huge issue on the seeded runs, but becomes a problem of verification on unseeded runs.

However, some seeds DO always generate correctly or have an extremely low chance of generating differently.
Ye, some are quite stable. But they can also change depending on the worlds you generated before. E.g. generate a large/medium world before a stable small world seed and chances will be high it will be different (missing floating island houses).
Could you name a small world seed which is the 'stablest' or one of the most stable seeds?

Btw. I did some mod The Terraria Seed Project which allows you to search for seeds with specific conditions like near dungeon, temple, unlocked meteorite bar and many more.
As a speed run expert which other properties do you think should a world have to be good for speed run?
That might be off topic. Feel free to write me a pm or in mod thread. Other also welcome.
(this mod does not fix the world gen bug and unfortunately a stable vanilla seed don't need to be a stable t-mod-loader-version seed and vise-versa, but chances are high one seed can generate the same world in vanilla and t-mod-loader version)

That mod is EXTREMELY interesting, i'll be sharing it with some other speedrunners that I think will find it very useful; if the seeds found can indeed be used in a vanilla setting.

908319048, small, normal, crimson
is the most commonly run seed at the moment and I have never had it generate differently. However I have had numerous reports that MAC users get an 'incorrect' generation when using it.

That mod is EXTREMELY interesting, i'll be sharing it with some other speedrunners that I think will find it very useful; if the seeds found can indeed be used in a vanilla setting.

908319048, small, normal, crimson
is the most commonly run seed at the moment and I have never had it generate differently. However I have had numerous reports that MAC users get an 'incorrect' generation when using it.
The seed seems to be stable in vanilla and tmod loader. So also with my mod it also produce exactly the same world as in vanilla. But in vanilla and also in modded you can destroy it by first generating a medium or large world. After this the seed 908319048 produces a slightly different world.

Most times you can get can get the same variation (if not stable) in vanilla and t-mod-loader version. Recently I found a seed which generate for whatever reason different worlds in vanilla and t-mod-loader version (with or without my mod), Seed 400263610 large, expert crimson. (different location of one crimson biome, vanilla only 5 instead of 6 pyramids, and some more diffs)

How does one even enter a seed? I might just be blind, but I've never noticed anywhere to type one in for world generation.

How does one even enter a seed? I might just be blind, but I've never noticed anywhere to type one in for world generation.
first you need to change "UseExperimentalFeatures" in terraria (or tmod) config.json file to "true" (file stored close to you world files). After this you can enter a seed before world generation. Alternative way to active this is t-mod loader options menu

Back
Top Bottom