Mobile Spinning green eye of dread

Carrisima

Terrarian
Hello!

My son has been playing Terraria on our Samsung Galaxy Tablet for well over a year. I think it's a Galaxy Tab 3 or 4, Android version 5.0.2, last updated 3-1-2017. A couple of months ago, he started having issues launching Terraria - all we see is a spinning green square that looks a bit like a reptilian eye. When I go to Google play to see if there is a new version to download, I actually see two Terraria apps that look identical except one shows that it's been installed and one has not. I've tried re-starting the tablet, clearing the cache, and even tried deleting the .obb file but nothing helps. I would really love to fix this without losing all of my son's gamedata - he's been playing a while and would be crushed to have to start over.

We have Terraria version 1.2.12785.

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

-Carrie

Hello!

My son has been playing Terraria on our Samsung Galaxy Tablet for well over a year. I think it's a Galaxy Tab 3 or 4, Android version 5.0.2, last updated 3-1-2017. A couple of months ago, he started having issues launching Terraria - all we see is a spinning green square that looks a bit like a reptilian eye. When I go to Google play to see if there is a new version to download, I actually see two Terraria apps that look identical except one shows that it's been installed and one has not. I've tried re-starting the tablet, clearing the cache, and even tried deleting the .obb file but nothing helps. I would really love to fix this without losing all of my son's gamedata - he's been playing a while and would be crushed to have to start over.

We have Terraria version 1.2.12785.

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

-Carrie
Hi there Carrie. I'm going to answer some of the things that I know for sure, and then move on to the answers that I'm not too sure about.

The latest version is 12785 (aka 1.2.12785) for the Google Play version, so you do have the newest one. And the two identical icons in the Google Play store likely represent the Free Trial version and the Paid version.

If you're having trouble getting the game to launch, I suggest deleting it and then reinstalling it. However, any local saves will be deleted forever. So any local character saves and local world saves will be gone forever if you reinstall.

Within the game, there is a way to copy your local data to cloud data. But if you can't launch the game, that's not going to help unless you've already done that. For instance, every so often I make a copy of my local character and save it to the cloud just in case. So if you happen to have your characters and worlds saved to the cloud, you should be able to reinstall, and then retrieve them from the cloud. I say should. Normally it works, however, I do see some reports of players having trouble with getting their cloud saves.

If the game launches, but you're not able to load up certain characters or worlds, I wouldn't recommend reinstalling, there's something else wrong.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. If you'd like to talk with 505 Games directly and see if they have anything different about your issue, you can open a Support Ticket with them here (you'll need to make an account to open a ticket): https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

One thing to note - the mobile version will be getting a huge update hopefully later this year. A lot of players find that starting over new when a big update comes out is the most fun way to enjoy a big update. I know that's not too helpful now if you do end up losing your son's game saves, but maybe it'll lessen the blow a little.

Hi there Carrie. I'm going to answer some of the things that I know for sure, and then move on to the answers that I'm not too sure about....

Thank you so much for your advice! This is very helpful. I have to admit to not being completely up-to-speed on how the game works. Sounds like if I uninstall and re-install he'll lose all of his game progress, which is a bummer. But may be our only recourse at this point.

Back
Top Bottom