Items [Sprites!] Black Mirror - Taking the pain out of those post-death hikes!

What do you think?

• Yes! The item looks good!

• Maybe. The item or recipe could use some work.

• No. I don't support this suggestion and I am capable of telling why.

• What is this "Dying" you speak of?

Results are only viewable after voting.
This item would be very useful, and definently add another use for the black lens.

I would find myself using this item a lot, especially with medium-core characters.

+1

I'm in a bit of doubts.

It kinda makes me wonder what's the point of dying if you can make a comeback literally a second after respawn.
And this will defenility drop the 'challenge' that mediumcore has to offer. Although I'm a supporter to make mediumcore less tedious, this is probably a bit too easy.
Well, unless you got to carry the black mirror with you and died in mediumcore.

Maybe to avoid other use other than retrieving your gear, you can make it a stationary object (like a dark portal/teleporter) or a potion instead. So people don't have to die to create a teleport location.

I'm in a bit of doubts.

It kinda makes me wonder what's the point of dying if you can make a comeback literally a second after respawn.
And this will defenility drop the 'challenge' that mediumcore has to offer. Although I'm a supporter to make mediumcore less tedious, this is probably a bit too easy.
Well, unless you got to carry the black mirror with you and died in mediumcore.

Maybe to avoid other use other than retrieving your gear, you can make it a stationary object (like a dark portal/teleporter) or a potion instead. So people don't have to die to create a teleport location.
Yeah, it does seem quite powerful for MC players. One possible solution is maybe a cooldown time, similar to the sundial? This could prevent cheesing death over and over again.

I like this idea! Maybe you could include a 5 real-time minute cooldown time after every use? That way, you could still use it easily, but you can't spam it if you die immediately after you use it again.
One possible solution is maybe a cooldown time, similar to the sundial? This could prevent cheesing death over and over again.
... oh wait, you just said that.
[doublepost=1501427510,1501427372][/doublepost]Also, I like how you included "What is this "dying" you speak of?" as a vote choice.

'Cuz I don't die very often unless it's a lunar event.

I really like the concept.

Though I don't think it should be unlocked late or be aprticularly tedious to make, there has to be a way to balance it, for reasons already mentionned before by other people.
I'm thinking of a few ways to do that, for instance :
- maybe the mirror would shatter after use, either deleting itself or downgrading itself into a Magic Mirror or Ice Mirror.
- maybe upon use in Mediumcore it will completely wipe the inventory, all of it, so if you want to retrieve your items, you either have to go there on your own with equipment from a chest, or go there naked with the Black Mirror, not both ; in Softcore it will wipe all of your coins in the inventory, it does nothing in Hardcore ; maybe instead of deleting them it just drops them ; also all buffs are removed.
- maybe there is a downside to using it, either reducing your life or a debuff reducing or preventing life regeneration for a while or maybe a debuff that weakens you or prevents you from attacking or reduces mobility ; or maybe a special debuff that lasts quite long and makes it so that if you die while having this buff, all the items that would have dropped are deleted.
- maybe the Black Mirror isn't completely reliable, not teleporting you directly at the exact last spot you died but rather within the area around it, so you you can't just go there and instantly teleport away, you have to do a very short travel to it.

The safest way would be a combination of these, the Black Mirror transforms into a Broken Mirror upon use, you need 1 Black Lens to fix it back into a Black Mirror, essentially needing 1 Black Lens per usage, which I think is fair, then you can't get any buffs since they'll be removed upon use, in Softcore, you can't pick up money from your stash before using it otherwise they'll get deleted or dropped, and in Mediumcore you can't pick up any item from chests before using it otherwise they'll get deleted or dropped, then you get teleported around the spot of your last death, generally close enough for it to be within your screen, your life will be instantly cut to 100 HP so you can't make use of the Nurse before using it, you also get Potion Sickness for 1 minute, and the Mirror Curse debuff which lasts 30 minutes which will delete all items dropped on death while you have it, the Nurse can't remove this debuff as well.

Maybe there would be minor upgrades to the Mirror, for instance using 1 Shadow Scale or Tissue Sample will make the Broken Mirror or Black Mirror into the Dark Mirror, which has a reduced chance of breaking during usage, for instance 20%, and you will have your health only reduced to 150 HP.
Maybe then upgrades for Souls of Night, another with Hallowed Bars and all three boss soul types, then another one with Ectoplasms, and lastly one with Luminite Bars. Like for 15 Souls of Night you can turn the Broken Mirror or Dark Mirror into the Night Mirror, 5% chance to break, health reduced to 200 HP, you would only have 25 minutes of Mirror Curse debuff as well.
With 3 Hallowed Bars and 1 Soul of Fright, Might and Sight and a Night Mirror, you get the Hallowed Mirror, it can't break, health reduced to 275 HP, only 20 minutes of Mirror Curse debuff.
With 10 Ectoplasms and a Hallowed Mirror, you get the Harrowing Mirror, health reduced to 350 HP, only 15 minutes of Mirror Curse debuff, only 30 seconds of Potion Sickness.
Finally with 5 Solar, Nebula, Vortex and Stardust Fragments and 20 Luminite Bars, you get the Void Mirror, it doesn't reduce your health, it doesn't give Potion Sickness, and it only has 10 minutes of Mirror Curse debuff.

You could add 5 ectoplasm into the recipe so you get it later in game, after all it is OP being able to get all your money back.

Okay, I've noticed a common trend in the feedback I've received, which is a cooldown or drawback to using it. That being said, do you think a penalty such as a debuff or loss of health would be better, or a simple cooldown similar to that of the Enchanted Sundial?

I've also decided to add Demonite/Crimtane Bars to the recipe. I've seen a lot of suggestions for Ectoplasm but that seems a bit too late into progression for this to be as useful.

Okay, I've noticed a common trend in the feedback I've received, which is a cooldown or drawback to using it. That being said, do you think a penalty such as a debuff or loss of health would be better, or a simple cooldown similar to that of the Enchanted Sundial?

I've also decided to add Demonite/Crimtane Bars to the recipe. I've seen a lot of suggestions for Ectoplasm but that seems a bit too late into progression for this to be as useful.
Having a cool down similar to the Enchanted Sundial sounds better. Not using ectoplasm makes sense. What's the point of it if it's only available post-Golem?

Can't support. It's too OP. For Mediumcore characters, this could be... oh wait... xD. Well still, it's too OP. The game is meant to be challenging, not "when you die go pick up your 40 platinum coins." Yes, you can still do this, but a lot harder. I like a challenge. Maybe there should be a supersoftcore character, where this is added.

Can't support. It's too OP. For Mediumcore characters, this could be... oh wait... xD. Well still, it's too OP. The game is meant to be challenging, not "when you die go pick up your 40 platinum coins." Yes, you can still do this, but a lot harder. I like a challenge. Maybe there should be a supersoftcore character, where this is added.
I honestly fail to see why this would be considered "OP" by people. It's simply made as a tool for convenience, as it still lets bosses and enemies despawn. Maybe that's just me, but there's nothing game breaking about being able to save a few seconds of backtracking.

I honestly fail to see why this would be considered "OP" by people. It's simply made as a tool for convenience, as it still lets bosses and enemies despawn. Maybe that's just me, but there's nothing game breaking about being able to save a few seconds of backtracking.
It's TOO convenient. Like, you find a bunch of Titanium, or find a golden chest, and then you get killed by a Hornet. You happen to have collected a Black Lens, and craft a Black Mirror. You teleport back to your death point, and collect what's in the chest. See, too convenient.

It's TOO convenient. Like, you find a bunch of Titanium, or find a golden chest, and then you get killed by a Hornet. You happen to have collected a Black Lens, and craft a Black Mirror. You teleport back to your death point, and collect what's in the chest. See, too convenient.
You can do this same thing with wormhole potions if you have a friend, or even by walking back to your death point. It's a method of saving time that will require most players to grind a bit if they want one.

You can do this same thing with wormhole potions if you have a friend, or even by walking back to your death point. It's a method of saving time that will require most players to grind a bit if they want one.
Grinding. From my experience, players usually obtain the Black Lenses by just trying to protect themselves. Me and many of my friends have gotten the Black Lens by just killing a Demon Eye and it dropping.

Grinding. From my experience, players usually obtain the Black Lenses by just trying to protect themselves. Me and many of my friends have gotten the Black Lens by just killing a Demon Eye and it dropping.
Keyword most.

Still, I know I'm a little biased since it's my suggestion, but I don't see any reason why this is overpowered. There are by far much more powerful and useful items in the game already.

I've seen an item like this in a mod called the death gazer's mirror...

I couldn't buy it because it was like 5 platinum ._.

Back
Top Bottom