Other [Sprites] Vehicles! Boats and planes and stuff!

Jay2a

Cultist
Vehicles!

The basic mounts in Terraria can get pretty boring sometimes, and often don't even allow great movement on land, in the air, or in the water. Also, they can get pretty boring. Well, what if you were able to customize your own vehicles? You can do just that with the vehicle creation parts! Make any vehicles you want, whether it's a car, a tank, an airplane, a boat, or a submarine! Almost any block can be added to vehicles with the exclusion of dirt and similar blocks. However, there's a lot to this suggestion that isn't able to be explained in a short amount of space, so sit tight, feel free to read everything, and if not, there are a lot of pictures.

The table below shows all of the sprites, along with a description of what everything does.
Sprite | Name | Use
H7znBUa.png
|Vehicle core | Allows the vehicle to be created Max 150 blocks connected (Necessary if you want to use your vehicles)
GQMDgV9.png
|Expansion Module | Allows 24 extra blocks to be added to a vehicle
JKiHBWd.png
|Build Module | Gives vehicles the ability to move when you sit in them (Necessary if you want to use your vehicles)
AdMmGdM.png
|Vehicle Hull | Decorative blocks, can be use for houses
5XZQ6bz.png
|Water Compatibility Module | Allows boats to float in water
Ar0Wgvl.png
|Lava Compatibility Module | Allows boats to float in lava
7GekZ4j.png
|Vehicle Chair | Where the player stands in created vehicles (Necessary if you want to use your vehicles)
XpiHUgI.png
|Thruster | Increases vehicle acceleration (Effects stack)
FMyJCLU.png
|Flight Module | Allows vehicles to fly
8BivK5f.png
|Small Wheel | Slow land vehicle acceleration (Doesn't require land compatibility unit)
s4x6r51.png
|Large Wheel | Faster land vehicle acceleration (Doesn't require land compatibility unit)
pk48lKE.png
|Jump Module | Allows the vehicle to jump
jE67uSX.png
|Jump Boost Module | Extra jump height (Effects stack) Height acceleration speed (In flying vehicles) (Effects stack)
kdECwVh.png
|Torpedo Cannon | Fires a deadly torpedo (Affected by gravity unless under water)
3ssBZZf.png
|Vehicle Spike | Extra damage when running over hostile mobs
eYMcadC.png
|Storage Unit | Chest made for vehicles (Can be used in houses)
8oL492K.png
|Sinking Module | Used for submarines
m6DKiUc.png
|Wall Compatibility Unit | Allows walls to be placed in vehicles
v2nQS0D.png
|Torpedo | Does heavy damage to hostile mobs
HvZ1hcd.png
| Land Compatibility Module | Allows vehicles to move on land without wheels
sgceqO5.png
| Wire Compatibility Module | Allows the use of wires, traps, and other electronics on vehicles
No sprite given |Confetti Cannon | Launch confetti at them
No sprite given |Catapult | Launch rocks in the direction of the mouse cursor
Notes:
Right clicking modules with a block will decorate the module to look like that block
Vehicles will not be able to use dirt or dirt-like items by default
Wheels will only connect to vehicles if they are placed below a block; If they are placed on top of a block, any blocks below them will not be part of the vehicle
A maximum of 10 thrusters can be placed on a vehicle for stacking effects
A maximum of 5 jump boost modules can be placed on a vehicle for stacking effects

A list of example vehicles is provided in the spoiler below:
Vehicles can really be made out of anything, but I just chose wood and blue dungeon blocks for the examples
A very basic car, able to jump.
kvWgVHA.png

A very basic "raft", able to fire torpedos.
KPC7YUq.png

An "airplane", I have no building skills so it's just made out of vehicle parts
jINgwZp.png
Stats for thrusters
Not really sure how fast the vehicles are this way (In terms of measuring), though I imagine if they're too fast they'll be balanced by uneven terrain.

(None) | Acceleration x1 | +1 block per second until maximum of 25 blocks per second
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
| Acceleration x2 | +2 blocks per second until maximum of 30 blocks per second
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
| Acceleration x4 | +4 blocks per second until maximum of 35 blocks per second
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
| Acceleration x5 | +5 blocks per second until maximum of 40 blocks per second
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
XpiHUgI.png
| Acceleration x10 | +10 blocks per second until maximum of 40 blocks per second
Stats for jump boosts
Planes don't actually require jump modules, just jump boost modules.
pk48lKE.png
| Jump boost: 5 blocks
pk48lKE.png
jE67uSX.png
| Jump boost: 7 blocks | On planes: Height acceleration +1
pk48lKE.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
| Jump boost: 9 blocks | On planes: Height acceleration +2
pk48lKE.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
| Jump boost: 11 blocks | On planes: Height acceleration +3
pk48lKE.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
| Jump boost: 13 blocks | On planes: Height acceleration +4
pk48lKE.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
jE67uSX.png
| Jump boost: 15 blocks | On planes: Height acceleration +5
Bare minimum requirements
Type | Sprites | Item names
Car|
H7znBUa.png
JKiHBWd.png
7GekZ4j.png
HvZ1hcd.png
| Vehicle Core, Build Block, Vehicle Chair, Land Compatibility Module
Boat|
H7znBUa.png
JKiHBWd.png
7GekZ4j.png
5XZQ6bz.png
| Vehicle Core, Build Block, Vehicle Chair, Water Compatibility Module
Aircraft|
H7znBUa.png
JKiHBWd.png
7GekZ4j.png
FMyJCLU.png
| Vehicle Core, Build Block, Vehicle Chair, Flight Module
Submarine|
H7znBUa.png
JKiHBWd.png
7GekZ4j.png
8oL492K.png
| Vehicle Core, Build Block, Vehicle Chair, Sinking Module
That's all I have to say for now. Remember to leave any comments or complaints. I'm always open to criticism.

Last edited:
UPDATE
  • Added more tables to describe what everything does, how they work, and how effects stack
  • Added more pictures
  • Added more general information

Last edited:
This is an interesting idea for sure. I think there should be some sort of GUI for the modules (not some like torpedo's, chairs, etc. since those are part of the actual build), so that it doesn't looks weird on the build itself.

This is an interesting idea for sure. I think there should be some sort of GUI for the modules (not some like torpedo's, chairs, etc. since those are part of the actual build), so that it doesn't looks weird on the build itself.
One thing that I had thought about already was to have the ability to right click modules with blocks, which would place blocks over them to disguise them.

This doesn't really seem like it's possible with the current engine in Terraria. Even so, boats would be rather pointless since because of how small bodies of water are.

Perhaps in Otherworld or Terraria 2 this may be possible, but I'm pretty sure the current engine isn't cut out for this (Rotations of blocks, and just moving blocks in general). As for Terraria however, I just can't support since it doesn't really seem too practical and doesn't really fit in the game IMO (Along with engine limitations). Now if it was an Otherworld suggestion, I would support.

You should add a wiring module that allows you to place wires and traps on the vehicle. It would be pretty cool to sit in a plane raining down spears and spiky balls.

This doesn't really seem like it's possible with the current engine in Terraria. Even so, boats would be rather pointless since because of how small bodies of water are.

Perhaps in Otherworld or Terraria 2 this may be possible, but I'm pretty sure the current engine isn't cut out for this (Rotations of blocks, and just moving blocks in general). As for Terraria however, I just can't support since it doesn't really seem too practical and doesn't really fit in the game IMO (Along with engine limitations). Now if it was an Otherworld suggestion, I would support.
I haven't played Otherworlds, so I wouldn't make a suggestion for that
You should add a wiring module that allows you to place wires and traps on the vehicle. It would be pretty cool to sit in a plane raining down spears and spiky balls.
Maybe.

I made a small update to the suggestion:

Added Wire Compatibility Modules (Wiring Modules)
Added Land Compatibility Module (Allows you to create land vehicles with out wheels)
Changed the texture for lava compatibility modules

An interesting idea, but they occupy too much space and because of that mobility would turn almost imposible, which is exactly the opposite of what you want

An interesting idea, but they occupy too much space and because of that mobility would turn almost imposible, which is exactly the opposite of what you want
Yeah, I've been working on a way around this. For example, making some sort of machine part block that will hold other modules. I have no idea how to briefly explain this, but I gave it my best shot.

There should be a module that allows the placement of weapons, such as guns, rocket launchers, magic weapons, etc... in the vehicles.

There should be a module that allows the placement of weapons, such as guns, rocket launchers, magic weapons, etc... in the vehicles.
I actually already made the sprite and the concept for that, but some weapons just seemed a little strange to put in vehicles when I thought about it, so I scrapped the entire concept.

Pretty Cool. I personally would actuaelly like to see this in Terraria:Otherworld , which seems to be more machine and vehicle based.

Okay, so I have a general question:
So, a couple people have mentioned that this would work better as a Terraria: Otherworld suggestion, so I have a few options:
  1. Abandon the idea entirely (Which I almost did until Destroyer commented)
  2. Continue the suggestion as-is
  3. Move the suggestion over to Terraria: Otherworld and revamp some of the concepts to fit the game better
Thanks for reading and taking the time to vote (Yes, I know it's not an actual poll).

Okay, so I have a general question:
So, a couple people have mentioned that this would work better as a Terraria: Otherworld suggestion, so I have a few options:
  1. Abandon the idea entirely (Which I almost did until Destroyer commented)
  2. Continue the suggestion as-is
  3. Move the suggestion over to Terraria: Otherworld and revamp some of the concepts to fit the game better
Thanks for reading and taking the time to vote (Yes, I know it's not an actual poll).
I wouldn't move this to T:OW, since that seems to have a more magical and steampunk theme than a high-tech one.

Back
Top Bottom