Starbound Thread

There's more, too. One I particularly remember is when one of the mods asked a mod creator if they can add his mod to the game.
Said mod literally forgot all about it, creator wanted to cut the deal off, and I'm not sure what happened later but it somehow escalated to 4chan coming to hate starbound too.
It's the ammunition mod right? The one where the lead forum moderator didn't tell the mod creator that it had been cancelled?

I swear I'm not necroing this thread honest I actually got through playing the colonization update. Starbound still feels empty and this reddit thread pretty much hits the nails on why.

I can agree with most of the points in the reddit thread and that one of SB's big issues is that despite having so much stuff it still feels overwhelmingly empty. However, my big issue, the one that lead me to stop playing after a few days, is that the variations in appearance don't extend to variations in description. For example, there are maybe dozens of different looking dirt blocks, but they are all called Dirt Block. This makes it very frustrating when you are trying to organize things or trying to find more of a particular block. I think the majority of SB's problems can be boiled down to: This is what you get when a graphic artist leads a game's development; everything looks great, but once you get past the looks everything is like the back of a painting, plain, empty, and ultimately lacking interest.

I can agree with most of the points in the reddit thread and that one of SB's big issues is that despite having so much stuff it still feels overwhelmingly empty. However, my big issue, the one that lead me to stop playing after a few days, is that the variations in appearance don't extend to variations in description. For example, there are maybe dozens of different looking dirt blocks, but they are all called Dirt Block. This makes it very frustrating when you are trying to organize things or trying to find more of a particular block. I think the majority of SB's problems can be boiled down to: This is what you get when a graphic artist leads a game's development; everything looks great, but once you get past the looks everything is like the back of a painting, plain, empty, and ultimately lacking interest.

Tiy was a graphic artist?

I lost interest because it just seemed like the devs didn't know what they were doing, or what makes a game fun to play. When I first started playing starbound, I found that the game was about exploration. For me, the thing that made the game fun was hopping from planet to planet, scanning the surface for resources, pillaging dungeons, fighting off bosses, finding treasure, weapons, and gadgets to play with, and overall just exploring the galaxy and seeing what there is to see. After the first major update though, it seemed as if the devs decided I was wrong about what made starbound fun and changed everything. What was once a quick mission to find coal for your (steam-powered?) space ship is now a huge and slow expedition to the center of the world, through one boring cave after another and with nothing but your slow matter manipulator, since pickaxes became useless and broke within a minute of use. Once that was done, you had to complete a series of mostly pointless and unrelated quests before you could finally leave your star system and experience the rest of the game. It basically just felt like unnecessary padding, and I didn't enjoy any of it. I didn't even get past that part (my computer was lagging at the bossfight and I died by it's sweeping laser and gave up), but I had seen enough that I wasn't interested in playing the rest of the game.

Last edited:
I lost interest because it just seemed like the devs didn't know what they were doing, or what makes a game fun to play. When I first started playing starbound, I found that the game was about exploration. For me, the thing that made the game fun was hopping from planet to planet, scanning the surface for resources, pillaging dungeons, fighting off bosses, finding treasure, weapons, and gadgets to play with, and overall just exploring the galaxy and seeing what there is to see. After the first major update though, it seemed as if the devs decided I was wrong about what made starbound fun and changed everything. What was once a quick mission to find coal for your (steam-powered?) space ship is now a huge and slow expedition to the center of the world, through one boring cave after another and with nothing but your slow matter manipulator, since pickaxes because useless and broke within a minute of use. Once that was done, you had to complete a series of mostly pointless and unrelated quests before you could finally leave your star system and experience the rest of the game. It basically just felt like unnecessary padding, and I didn't enjoy any of it. I didn't even get past that part (my computer was lagging at the bossfight and I died by it's sweeping laser and gave up), but I had seen enough that I wasn't interested in play the rest of the game.
I completely agree.

Yeah I totally agree with the planet core part. They either need to: change to a different method of getting your ship fixed or at the very least make starter planet cores not too deep. As for lag: I'll have it really badly occasionally when I'm fighting enemies and will have to spamheal myself just to keep myself from dying and losing like all of my pixels.

I lost interest in this game after about a year, due to the fact the way that the Dev's are going. I've been reading everyone of their post's that come out, and I'm still not impressed. I don't know why, but I feel like they take way to long to work and update than other games. I think the last major update was Hover cars, or something like that, and a bit of a combat update which seemed to take them about half a year to do. The rate of work is kind of just ridiculous, and Terraria has made tons more features than just those in the last year.

Feels like a very shallow Terraria.

I was really excited for the game when it was announced, and I played a decent bit after the beta first came out, but it was boring, just hopping from planet to planet sucking it from resources and moving onto the next, nothing was interesting. WOOHOO I FOUND A TOWN THAT I CAN DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN! Oh, wait, there is ONE freaking shop!

I kept getting back on the game every month or so to find out that, not much had changed, despite the daily updates (that I actually used to read) on the forums about all of this amazing work they did it wasn't really all that different. There are 50 more mini biomes all with different furniture sets, yay?

I haven't played the game in, over a year I think now, and I don't plan on playing it again until they release it, and, judging by how fast they are working, I expect that to happen at about 2025. That's the main thing that bugs me, is they have almost a 20 man team and the game is CRAWLING! Terraria had 1, count it 1 coder! And in all of the time since starbound released we have gotten 10x the content that chucklefish has given starbound.

well i guess there reason is they are putting in A LOT in one go in the next update

Yeah. But the problem is, half of it isn't even useful. "Oh wow, more mini biomes, not like I could even get the recent ones you just put in to spawn." And some of it, is just ridiculous Imo. The last one was they changed the action bar, which honestly just seems to make the game even more complicated. They said it was a huge user issue, and yet I have never seen one person complain about. In fact, I prefer the Terraria-like bar.

I think the problem, personally, is the fact that they have you exploring all these worlds, but there is just TOO much to explore. So much, in fact, that you won't even find half of the stuff they put in there. While some could find this a good thing, I view this quite bad.

It means I might never find a special weapon I want, or anything like that. It also means, I won't be able to see certain dungeons, etc etc. Its just TOO BIG, for TOO LITTLE. Most of the worlds you go to are the same, until you get higher up.

Yeah. But the problem is, half of it isn't even useful. "Oh wow, more mini biomes, not like I could even get the recent ones you just put in to spawn." And some of it, is just ridiculous Imo. The last one was they changed the action bar, which honestly just seems to make the game even more complicated. They said it was a huge user issue, and yet I have never seen one person complain about. In fact, I prefer the Terraria-like bar.

I think the problem, personally, is the fact that they have you exploring all these worlds, but there is just TOO much to explore. So much, in fact, that you won't even find half of the stuff they put in there. While some could find this a good thing, I view this quite bad.

It means I might never find a special weapon I want, or anything like that. It also means, I won't be able to see certain dungeons, etc etc. Its just TOO BIG, for TOO LITTLE. Most of the worlds you go to are the same, until you get higher up.

man you would not like how no mans sky is going to be.

also when you say they are not adding anything besides mini biomes. thats not true didn't you read the thing on their website awhile ago when they said they were going to add new quest's then the one where they were adding a ton of new weapons and well i could just keep going.

man you would not like how no mans sky is going to be.

also when you say they are not adding anything besides mini biomes. thats not true didn't you read the thing on their website awhile ago when they said they were going to add new quest's then the one where they were adding a ton of new weapons and well i could just keep going.

I actually have read it. I also read the post's before that, when the combat update came out. I played the game for around 50 hours after the combat update came out, but barely fount anything they were talking about, besides the Hover bikes, a few new animations, and some minibiomes. Which also were the same biomes over and over.
It's like they overlayed the old biomes, but the code got stuck on the same biomes over and over. The fist weapons also seem completely useless to me.

I've been following the game for over a year, and I'm just not impressed at this point and time. I really hope they do make it better, though. I've always liked the idea of Terraria in space.

Back
Top Bottom