Starbound Thread

Clawking25

Terrarian
For those new to this thread; you MUST post respectfully here. If people wish to discuss positive things or gameplay about Starbound, this is allowed. If people wish to discuss why they don't like Starbound, this is allowed.

Under no circumstances will rude or argumentative posting be allowed, and you may not demean the opinions of other posters who disagree with you. Any such deviation will be met with a swift thread ban.

header.jpg
Heya, people form the TCF
I wanna start a thread for everything about Starbound
Starbound is game about explore the universe, like terraria but with a another twist. still in development.
But its a good game and a perfect assesion for people who like indie games and survival/adventure
You can do a lot of things like building a house (not if there is a meteorite rain) and explore dungeon and find cool weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obligatory Post from Ghostar.

Like the game but I gotta say, with the latest "Expand your ship' feature, I'm annoyed at the little incentive it gives to actually building a base on a planet, something I love doing.

I have Starbound!
The devs have actually been posting tons of mini progress updates on the official forums. They even posted the changelog for the next Stable version! And there's also Nightly branches that can be accessed through Steam's beta options. (Make backups-- you'l need them.)
I have to say though, at this point in time, Starbound is somewhat bland. Still, it has a charm of it's own.

I used to play it. It had a lot of cool stuff, and a real sense of wonder and exploration.

Unfortunately, the developers are human trash, and will likely drive the game into ruin. Never heard a single person praise the developers for that game, many are even filing fraud complaints.

The saddest part is, the lead guy used to work with Redigit.

(EDIT: March 2015)
I think that Starbound's graphic style is alright and the music is cool but the game itself is pretty boring. It has potential to be a good game but the developers don't use it.
The thing I like the most is the instrument system. It's pretty cool. That's gotta say something.

Last time I played was shortly after the Winter Update released and I digged around for like 1 hour to find Core Fragment ore but couldn't find anything there which probably is my fault since I wasn't deep enough but yeah whatever. I am happy that they removed Temperature and Hunger in the Winter Update though. That sure was annoying.

Last edited:
I compare starbounds development and life to minecraft. It came out, it was insanely popular, but the devs did not fufill any promises they made, and left it to be modded upon while they chugged out approxametly 7% of an update a month.
But Microsoft will fix that! Hahahha... Right?

Starbound's still a thing? I remember back when they kickstarted [yes, kickstarted, I don't care if they call it a pre-order] it. I recall they mentioned the money they received would help push it to be released a lot sooner, and back then the "release date" was a vague '2013', not for Beta, but for the release. And here they have with a bajillion $ and it's 2014 and it's still not complete.

Remember when I joked about it releasing on 2015? Doesn't sound like much of a joke anymore. In fact I'm sure there's even a possibility they won't even make it on 2015.

And don't get me started on the novakids.

Last edited:
Not surprised this is already turning for the worse...
I actually came from the Starbound forums... Someone (you know who you are) mentioned the new TCF and I couldn't resist.
The game itself is honestly not the best right now. It's kinda grindy and the death penalty is brutal. I have high hopes that the game will get better though. Until then, I will just patiently await the next big update.

Copy paste from old Terraria forums.

I remember, way back in 2012, when people were calling Tiy the nice guy and Redigit the overbearing jerk that made Tiy run away. I think I've seen Tiy's true colors though, with his lack of discipline, lack of foresight, and lack of oversight. Starbound is all promises and little delivery. Nightly builds, sure those are updates. Broken, updates. Last stable build was nearly a year ago. No news on the next one. Tiy's 1.0 post where he says "We could totally release the game as-is, as a 1.0!" is a baldfaced lie. I've come to believe that Tiy and Redigit didn't get along because Tiy is an egocentric maniac posing as a nice guy, and that's really what drove Redigit into a depression, (along with this community which can be toxic at times) and Tiy took the opportunity to rip Redigit off and make a clone of the popular game he had a small part in making.

The store page is even more deceptive than Terraria's was back when Redigit left it for a bit. It has fake concept art screenshots, claims of features that literally don't exist anywhere but the minds of the developers and the print on the store page. Starbound has made 4 million dollars, minimum, and their community management is complete trash. I mean, just look at this! Look at how they slip and slide back and forth on the matter of refunds. On the forums it's "Oh so sorry, we'll definitely refund!" but via a private support ticket Molly says "NOPE NO REFUNDS LOL YOU'RE SO S.O.L." meaning they are literally lying. Well, either they're lying or they're incompetant and disorganized... pick your poison.

Terraria... I just played it again today and yesterday for the first time in months, and good goddamn it's so much fun. It's even MORE fun than I remember. These new features don't feel like extraneous bull:red:, they feel like tangible additions to a full game. Starbound isn't :red:ing finished enough to be 1.0, and anyone who believes it is probably also believes Tiy isn't sipping margaritas with all that free money you gave him that he "can't" refund.

Yeah I am having major money problems and I think I'm gonna crowdsource some :red:ty "voxel" game with "procedural generation" and "randomized gameplay" so hordes of teens with mommy's credit card will give me FREE money, then I'll release some :red:ty beta and split with my 4 million dollars.

Okay, that's over-dramatic, and I do understand the fact that Tiy is still working on the game, and there are "nightly builds". However, I even now have the nightly build beta on my pc, and every time a new update comes out, I click play and the game crashes before the title screen. It doesn't even work! So I play the :red:ty "stable" release which, as Tiy puts it,

128cfeb1a12e7fbba0d0ee851cc4ddf9.png

Yeah, NO. It's not even close to finished or 1.0. Modder friendly, who gives a :red:? Diablo 2 is semi-modder friendly too, but the actual base game is enjoyable enough for me to actually play before installing mods. Mods are a bonus, not the main attraction. Terraria is also somewhat modder friendly, but even if it wasn't the core game is so goddamn fun I don't even need mods to enjoy it, and every update makes it better and better!

The game in its current state is a dizzying :red:ty mess. The devs aren't making the game they said they'd make, they're making something else, which is supposedly "better" but I sure as :red: don't see it. I really would like a refund, and I don't care if steam says I played 10 hours, walking back and forth across a blandscape (Ha! See what I did there?) does not equate to "playing" or having fun. The game is terrible. I can't get a refund, and neither can anyone else.

Also, on a only slightly related note... Molly is a real :red:. I hate to say that about a person, but she drags them down every time she types words into the internet. She needs to just stop.

To end this post, I present these.

BAtrNsd.gif

and

uLlYqb4.png

I agree that Starbound has the potential to be a good game.

They've got a strong foundation for the game. The art style looks nice, there's tons of monsters, weapons, blocks, items, etc.
Problem is, there's a serious lack of good ol' fun. At least there was, the last time I played it. These different things just don't have all that much variety to them. Similar to how you can't have an engaging TCG without some offbeat cards, you can't have a successor to Terraria without some unusual items and enemies.
Starbound needs it's magic missiles and gravitation potions, it's spooky armors and Skeletron primes. It needs incentive to explore different planets and biomes, such as special resources and loot. And for more than just some boring furniture items.

As for the devs and community, I have mixed feelings. I still consider myself a member of the Starbound forums, (I'm even making a SBF RPG in RPG maker XP) but the only reason I stay there is because of all the wonderful other members I've befriended over the years. However, the amount of people I know has really dwindled over time, and the only place I still converse is in the chat sub-forum.

My feelings are mostly management related.

First off, there's not much for people to do. No contests, suggestions are rarely implemented, the update is taking a long time (granted it looks big, but it's still taking a while. :() and the discussions in "General Discussion" are mostly just the same discussions that have been asked for months. Most of the activity takes place in the chat, clan and modding sections.

I've also gotten the impression that the Devs don't really care all that much about their community. They never really do anything on the forums besides show up, look around without posting, and leave. I was actually a contributor for the game before it was released. I didn't get to do much. Soon after I joined, I made some weapon and food sprites, but then I found it harder and harder to get ahold of anyone. Most of the contributors did. The devs seemed to me to be a very tight-knit group among themselves, but not with anyone else.

As for the Devs themselves, they make me feel uneasy. Tiy and Mollygos particularly. A bunch of the devs I've liked more are long gone, such as Bartwe, Fetalstar and Rho. (I especially miss Rho. She was my mentor when I was first becoming a contributor.) A bunch of moderators have also left as well.
There's always this feeling of fakeness whenever a dev posts an announcement. Like they're stalling a little, or something. Plus, they tend to have a problem with taking people seriously. They went a bit too far on a recent heated debate on the Glitch A.I., and started to make jokes about the people who were mad about it.

In the end though, I don't feel any anger. Just... Sadness. I don't regret my time on the forums, in fact, I consider my time well spent.
I MIGHT regret paying for Starbound, but then again I have only myself to blame. I was completely aware of the risks, and I may just have lost my bet.
Even then, it's a $15 game. I can afford that. If I couldn't, I wouldn't be buying games in the first place.

Anyways, that concludes my ramblings. And my thoughts on the current state of Starbound.

Yeah, the thing that separates Starbound from Terraria, and this is something I've been saying since it was announced, is the lack of surprises. How does Redigit handle updates? Radio silence 80% of the time, and an occasional tongue-wetter teaser of some sort. He shows one thing, people get hyped, but he's actually added a hundred other things! How does Tiy and The Gang handle things? Daily updates, constant daily updates featuring practically every system in the game. Where's the intrigue? Where's the mystery when you're pretty much spoiling the entire game as you go along?

Not only that, but how the game plays is different for each. Starbound is like... logical, and slightly linear. There's a story, which I consider to be a weakness. You start out on a ship... read a bunch of walls of text... go on a menial fetch quest to make an item that chops wood/trees/etc at an agonizingly slow rate (And HOLY :red: does that thing cut trees down slowly. See my video for an example.), and immediately enemies start kicking the :red: out of you. In Terraria, you had to face really weak slimes. You had a good 15 minutes before night fell, and you had ways of fighting the zombies or running away. Terraria has no goal, and that's what makes it fun. You plop down and immediately you're like "...huh?" and you see the Guide walking around. You chat him up, and as you're talking a slime attacks! You kill it, get some items, and from there your non-linear adventure begins.

While adventuring in Terraria, you can come across really wacky items. The game aims at a certain aesthetic, and that aesthetic is colorful chaos, which can sometimes be violent and terrifying. The first time I summoned a boss and that boss scream rang out, I nearly shat myself. When I activated the first boss beacon in Starbound... all I felt was meh. It killed me, but didn't surprise or shock me in any way. When I found a chest full of items in Terraria, I always wondered what awesome thing I would find next. When I found a chest of items in Starbound... it had some seeds, a :red:ty shield, and a couple throwing knives. Whoop-de-:red:ing-do. I think the only reason they didn't name it "Walking left and right simulator 2013" is because it wouldn't sell on Steam, otherwise it's a very fitting title.

Don't even get me started on that disappointment of a game, the whole thing is a boring grind-fest, with empty promises and horrible devs.

My friend bought us a 4 pack for about $40, I have to say it was money wasted.

The community is practically all yes men save for a couple of folks, generally it's just bad news all around.

New update is supposed to come out in "January", btw. Just uncertain enough for them to delay it until January with minimal outrage (there's no one around to be mad).

Also, friendly reminder that the devs gave their friends at SA moderator positions and their own super sekret forum.

I don't mean to be rude, but could someone please tell me why you guys waste your time complaining about Starbound? You bought it, played it, and were disappointed. I don't think $15 is a big enough loss to complain this much.
Also there's something called "Early Access," meaning the game isn't done yet.

Back
Top Bottom