Starbound Thread

And the ability to sell items to NPCs and a system for bookmarking planets, etc.

Bookmarking planets is supposedly already in. There's blog posts about it, and I've heard it's also in the nightly (they're still doing them, it seems).

There's not much purpose behind them, though, other than the purpose of being able to revisit your builds.

One of my greatest pet peeves is someone trying to excuse shady game development. Or shady business practices in general.

There's no "real" discussion about Starbound because quite honestly, there's nothing "real" to discuss. The game's practically the same as it was announced a beta like 2 and a half years ago. There's only so much you can talk about regarding new hats and a horse head for an AI.

One of my greatest pet peeves is someone trying to excuse shady game development. Or shady business practices in general.

There's no "real" discussion about Starbound because quite honestly, there's nothing "real" to discuss. The game's practically the same as it was announced a beta like 2 and a half years ago. There's only so much you can talk about regarding new hats and a horse head for an AI.
JD6oK0s.gif

See @renojonathanr -- this is exactly what I'm referring to.

Sorry to call you out, @Korin -- but your post perfectly makes my point. I 100% know that the game is not the same as it was announced 2 and a half years ago. Even excluding new hats and horse ai, there's a lot of new content. And I have this feeling that you know, Korin, it's not the same either. And you can argue that the changes they have made aren't "real" changes or what have you -- but it doesn't make your statement any more true than it is, because you'd have to admit that there were indeed changes.

I mean, couldn't you say that Terraria is practically the same game now as when it was released?

On top of this, you opened your post with
You're equating "liking the game" with "defending shady game development/shady business practices". If you were some run of the mill user who wanted to talk Starbound -- maybe share your custom sign -- would you, @renojonathanr , like to follow posting after Korin? I definitely wouldn't.

Like, if I went to a Command & Conquer 3 thread to talk Kane theory or game tactics and the thread was filled with nothing but EA Games hate. Big time SIGH.

So, like I said. This thread? Not a good place to discuss Starbound.

By default, Terraria and Starbound share the same space when it comes down to genre -- making TCF generally "against" Starbound to begin with. Top on the hate some people have, and their willingness to construe anything to put the game or you down -- and you can't even discuss real things if you wanted to without having to get into it with someone.

I like Starbound. My friends like Starbound. I actually have a lot to discuss when it comes to Starbound. But as a Chucklefish moderator and a Steam moderator -- I can't discuss ANYTHING about Starbound without it being misconstrued and used to either put the game down, put the devs down, or put me down. And I have heard every logical and illogical path of snide remarks and insults from that type of environment. Imagine the totality of my disappointment in TCF when I found that this Starbound thread is the same type of environment, despite TCF's otherwise sterling reputation.

So yeah, it's true that a lot of people probably just don't have anything to say about the game. But it's also true that there are users like me -- who just don't have the energy, the time, or ability to care enough to discuss what we want about the game -- without having to defend our interests tooth and nail against posts like the one Korin provided.

Last edited:
Having played both games, saying one is better than the other is insulting to both Terraria and Starbound. Both have great things that the other just couldn't have. It's like comparing a mango and a grape. Yes, they're both fruits, but they each have a unique flavor.

Have I mentioned that I'm still waiting for 1.0 to come out before re-installing this game.
I don't really care what they've changed, it's still not finished.

@Korin, you've got a point. The multiplayer issues haven't really been fixed, and if you ask me, Chucklefish only made those issues worse.

JD6oK0s.gif

See @renojonathanr -- this is exactly what I'm referring to.

Sorry to call you out, @Korin -- but your post perfectly makes my point. I 100% know that the game is not the same as it was announced 2 and a half years ago. Even excluding new hats and horse ai, there's a lot of new content. And I have this feeling that you know, Korin, it's not the same either. And you can argue that the changes they have made aren't "real" changes or what have you -- but it doesn't make your statement any more true than it is, because you'd have to admit that there were indeed changes.

I mean, couldn't you say that Terraria is practically the same game now as when it was released?

On top of this, you opened your post with

You're equating "liking the game" with "defending shady game development/shady business practices". If you were some run of the mill user who wanted to talk Starbound -- maybe share your custom sign -- would you, @renojonathanr , like to follow posting after Korin? I definitely wouldn't.

Like, if I went to a Command & Conquer 3 thread to talk Kane theory or game tactics and the thread was filled with nothing but EA Games hate. Big time SIGH.

So, like I said. This thread? Not a good place to discuss Starbound.

By default, Terraria and Starbound share the same space when it comes down to genre -- making TCF generally "against" Starbound to begin with. Top on the hate some people have, and their willingness to construe anything to put the game or you down -- and you can't even discuss real things if you wanted to without having to get into it with someone.

I like Starbound. My friends like Starbound. I actually have a lot to discuss when it comes to Starbound. But as a Chucklefish moderator and a Steam moderator -- I can't discuss ANYTHING about Starbound without it being misconstrued and used to either put the game down, put the devs down, or put me down. And I have heard every logical and illogical path of snide remarks and insults from that type of environment. Imagine the totality of my disappointment in TCF when I found that this Starbound thread is the same type of environment, despite TCF's otherwise sterling reputation.

So yeah, it's true that a lot of people probably just don't have anything to say about the game. But it's also true that there are users like me -- who just don't have the energy, the time, or ability to care enough to discuss what we want about the game -- without having to defend our interests tooth and nail against posts like the one Korin provided.

@Izzabelle, you're not a moderator here on this forum. Anyways, people like you who are staff on Chucklefish's forum and Starbound's Steam forum are generally not trusted around here when it comes to discussing Starbound. If you read Korin's message properly, you would see that Korin never equates liking a game with supporting the shady business practices of the people developing it. What she intended to say is that you may have a vested interest in allowing said practices to continue (this being likely because Chucklefish made you staff on their forums).

Izzabelle is a member of TCF like anyone else. What she is elsewhere may affect others' perceptions of her responses, but the notion that "people from Starbound are not trusted" is patently false.

We all carry our own biases - so, while one may again see those biases in the evaluation of another's points, it does not equate to a judgement of the individual themselves.

Just being very clear without wading into this discussion nor judging the points being made, for obvious reasons.

I make a lot of assumptions and take a couple of passive-aggressive jabs at Korin and anyone else who doesn't like Starbound for glaringly obvious reasons.

You and anyone else whom wishes to talk about Starbound may do so at whatever leisure you have available. And yes, I'm aware of the grand total of ONE major change to game mechanics/stability that Chucklefart has actually done. And that was in one of the very first updates. Everything else has been smoke and mirrors, hats and aesthetics to keep some of the simpler folk distracted with shinies. And yes, I'm allowed to use hyperbole to make a point.

If you've got the time, energy and initiative to make indirect attacks against myself and others of the forum, despite its "sterling reputation", you can put that effort into actually discussing why Starbound does not suck massive [REDACTED].

You and anyone else whom wishes to talk about Starbound may do so at whatever leisure you have available. And yes, I'm aware of the grand total of ONE major change to game mechanics/stability that Chucklefart has actually done. And that was in one of the very first updates. Everything else has been smoke and mirrors, hats and aesthetics to keep some of the simpler folk distracted with shinies. And yes, I'm allowed to use hyperbole to make a point.

If you've got the time, energy and initiative to make indirect attacks against myself and others of the forum, despite its "sterling reputation", you can put that effort into actually discussing why Starbound does not suck massive [REDACTED].
There was no passive aggressive jabs at you or others who don't like Starbound. You completely missed the point. %:sigh:

I didn't miss any points you may or may not have made.

But you certainly did take a jab or two at someone.
I'll spell it out. I didn't insult, or even mock you (like you mocked me, btw). Or anyone else for that matter.

Here's the tldr: If you come to a starbound thread to spout your hatred (Chucklefart; among other things) the very nature of your posts are nonconstructive and hostile to the thread, and don't provide a welcome environment in which to discuss the subject - which is the game. Hence; this is not a good place to actually discuss Starbound.

If you saw passive aggressive jab (or any jabs)-- you misunderstood. And if you misunderstood, you missed the point.

I'll spell it out. I didn't insult, or even mock you (like you mocked me, btw). Or anyone else for that matter.

Here's the tldr: If you come to a starbound thread to spout your hatred (Chucklefart; among other things) the very nature of your posts are nonconstructive and hostile to the thread, and don't provide a welcome environment in which to discuss the subject - which is the game. Hence; this is not a good place to actually discuss Starbound.

If you saw passive aggressive jab (or any jabs)-- you misunderstood. And if you misunderstood, you missed the point.

Here you are, again taking shots at folks who "hate" Starbound. If you can't see it yourself, perhaps it's time to get a new prescription concerning eyewear. If you DO see it, but still disregard your poking and prodding as justified or whatever, then we're gonna have a bad time.

I've already stated that you're more than welcome to actually discuss Starbound, this is the general consensus of the forums in fact, yet... I see no points of discussion. Just your latching on to "hatred" and "hostility".

I didn't mock you, I pointed out a little bit of hypocrisy.

Now, if you'd like to discuss some Starbound...

Here you are, again taking shots at folks who "hate" Starbound. If you can't see it yourself, perhaps it's time to get a new prescription concerning eyewear. If you DO see it, but still disregard your poking and prodding as justified or whatever, then we're gonna have a bad time.

I've already stated that you're more than welcome to actually discuss Starbound, this is the general consensus of the forums in fact, yet... I see no points of discussion. Just your latching on to "hatred" and "hostility".

I didn't mock you, I pointed out a little bit of hypocrisy.

Now, if you'd like to discuss some Starbound...
Again -- you're just attaching context to my posts and ignoring what I'm actually saying. I'm pretty used to it, unfortunately. I can explain why what you've posted is mocking me, but it'd be too much off topic.

Suffice it to say; your way of posting makes it uncomfortable to discuss Starbound. just look at how you've already come at me -- and all I did was point out the hostile environment such posting styles create and how it affects people wanting to discuss Starbound. By all logic, you should be right here with me going "You know, you're right -- we can discuss Starbound (for or against) without having to be nasty about it.". And that sort of mentality applies to both Starbound and Chucklefish.

Again -- you're just attaching context to my posts and ignoring what I'm actually saying. I'm pretty used to it, unfortunately. I can explain why what you've posted is mocking me, but it'd be too much off topic.

Suffice it to say; your way of posting makes it uncomfortable to discuss Starbound. just look at how you've already come at me -- and all I did was point out the hostile environment such posting styles create and how it affects people wanting to discuss Starbound. By all logic, you should be right here with me going "You know, you're right -- we can discuss Starbound (for or against) without having to be nasty about it.". And that sort of mentality applies to both Starbound and Chucklefish.

Just as I thought.

Disclaimer: I'm not hating on the game or anything just giving honest feedback about the game's current state and trying to start a discussion so if it sounds like I'm trying to knitpick or hate on the game it's not how i intended it. Also this is MY OPINION AND EXPERIENCES WITH THE GAME so its neither right or wrong so keep that in mind.

My biggest problem with starbound currently is that it has LOADS of potential that is just being....well... wasted. For example:
-The addition of some actual progression is great but the EXTREMELY RNG reliant fetch quests almost completely negates it. Most people don't ever even come close to finding the required items for said quests.
-The universe just FEELS empty. Its a universe. There should be absolute LOADS of beings out there on the multitude of planets. It shouldn't feel like an absolute barren wasteland full of weird looking monsters that aren't that big of a threat once you obtain a tier 3 armor. Almost everything is hostile to you on sight. And the things that aren't hostile to you are rare and can't even really be interacted with.

My next biggest irk with starbound is the fact that building things on planets has almost no use absolutely whatsoever given that the ship upgrades exist. Once you hit a tier 3 ship, you have TONS of space to do whatever you please with. And then you have 5 MORE extensions after that. Thats SO MUCH ROOM. Really the only reason to build on a planet is to make pretty structures and thats not even really that useful given that you have to leave it behind and run the risk of never finding it again since there's no way to remember where its even located (nightly is rumored to have planet bookmarking which is a big plus for this but I personally haven't tried out the nightly updates since the update)

Ship upgrades are an EXCELLENT design choice but the way they're implemented currently and the point at which they added is....well it just makes them TOO useful.

The game basically consists of beaming down to a planet, digging to the core, crafting the basic things (crafting table, furnace, etc.) then flying to the outpost and starting the long line of fetch quests scarcely interspersed with ACTUAL quests (the boss fights) with the random "beam to a planet and mine for the next tier of armor/beam to a moon and spend all of 3 minutes gathering more fuel than you will EVER use in your entire playtime) [seriously, in one of my playthroughs I spent all of 5 minute on a moon and gathered more than 20,000 fuel (20 full stacks) just by digging down. To fly to a nearby system it costs about 180 fuel and intersystem travel is completely free]

Aside from the fetch quests, there's really no reason to explore planets because there's really nothing worthwhile to explore.

Back
Top Bottom