Starfury: One of the more underrated weapons...

Xylia

Terrarian
From what I've gathered while reading on the forums (and from comments/videos having to do with Terraria), it seems as though not very many people hold the Starfury in high regard and I think this is kinda sad.

Some of the main complaints about the weapon, is how hard it can be to find (it isn't that hard if you use gravitation potions, or if you have a small world, shoot into the air with a space gun until you hear the impacts... water bolt works too) earlier in the game where it'd do you the most good, and also that the stars are 'almost useless' because of how infrequently they hit anything.

To be honest, the stars aren't that hard to aim, you use the cursor to point to where the star should land and the way your facing determines the rough angle that it should fall. By leading a moving target, you can actually hit moving enemies and in early-game, a normal Starfury with no prefix can kill or near-kill a zombie with one star hit.

And then there's the EoC -- in a new playthrough, I just decimated the EoC with just a few arrows and then I switched to the Starfury, and ouch. I swing and hit him for 20-22 damage and then the star falls and hits him for another 40-45 damage. Combined, that's 60 some damage which is beyond what most weapons at that point are capable of. Now, granted, I got lucky with a sky island being right next to my starting location having a Starfury and I got this Starfury before fighting the EoC, but still.

The big huge upside to the Starfury, however, isn't even it's capabilities in battle, but rather, its use as a spelunking tool. Since you can aim the stars with the cursor, it makes exploring underground a snap. Anytime you're tunnelling and you see a large black void, just start sweeping your cursor around this void while swinging the sword and you might be surprised at what you'll find!

Here's a screenshot of me finding a cabin that did not spawn with a light source:

F6295ADE9F3FE6F66DE58106662F9F2A6C8FA688

I might have never known that was there unless an ice bat spawned in that area, or I just happened to stumble upon it.

I found all kinds of ore, rooms, etc using this thing to spawn stars inside of rooms I've yet to explore to light them up on the minimap, it makes exploration really easy. The only limitation is that you can only light up areas above you, or to the sides; it doesn't work very well if the black area is below you.

So that leaves me to ask... why all the Starfury hate? It really is a better weapon than many people make it out to be.

There's hate for Starfury?! :dryadeek:

I always love it. Perfect for aerial fights, and spelunking. Its damage is pretty good too.

Why don't I use it for spelunking? Because I use the spelunker potion for serious spelunking.

Why don't I use it in combat? Because I find it impractical to use in comparison to my common methods of engagement at the stage where I would get the Starfury. It's not that it's hard to use, rather there's much better things to use.

It is held in high regard early-game, but it used to be a lot more powerful in an older patch. (That is, pre-1.2)
Also, it's not exactly a weapon you're bringing into Hardmode, and Spelunker potions do what it does but about 50 times better

RE: Spelunker Potions:

I normally save Spelunker Potions for Hardmode Ores and Chlorophyte personally. By then I'll actually have a decent pickaxe (well, once I get the Mythril and the other one).

In Normal Mode, I'm more looking for cave rooms, etc stuff which the Starfury works good for, since pickaxes are rather weak at that point, and I don't want to tunnel through a ton of stone/ice to get to that vein of ore that the potion would reveal which might be inside a huge wall of stone.

In Normal Mode, I'm more looking for cave rooms, etc stuff which the Starfury works good for, since pickaxes are rather weak at that point, and I don't want to tunnel through a ton of stone/ice to get to that vein of ore that the potion would reveal which might be inside a huge wall of stone.

I rarely bother with Copper-Platinum; I usually just mine it if it is there with a fresh character. That always gets enough for at least iron/lead. which is more than enough for the Eater of Worlds and Brain of Cthulhu.

Edit: That is, on vanilla character/worlds anyway. Recent playthroughs I've been tampering with statistics a little, but I can't use that to defend any sort of point here.

I rarely bother with Copper-Platinum; I usually just mine it if it is there with a fresh character. That always gets enough for at least iron/lead. which is more than enough for the Eater of Worlds and Brain of Cthulhu.

Edit: That is, on vanilla character/worlds anyway. Recent playthroughs I've been tampering with statistics a little, but I can't use that to defend any sort of point here.

Ores aren't so much the goal of a fresh character, but rather accessories.

I find more than enough Silver for silver armor, and easily enough gold/platinum for a pickaxe and sometimes a hammer as well on my first trip into the caves unless I get seriously unlucky while looking for accessories.

Then, I end up having 1-2 accessories and I'm thinking "well, I can think of 6-10 items I'd really like to have but don't feel like spending 5+ hours slogging through caves.... I wish there was a way to speed it up".

Well, in comes the Starfury, if one actually spawned on the world.

It helps me find cave systems which are very likely to have chests sitting around and/or might lead me to a lit cabin (or the Starfury will reveal one that isn't lit like the screenshot above).

Travelling through Air = far faster than travelling through stone or dirt.

It really cuts down on the time needed for finding essentials like Hermes/Flurry Boots, Cloud-in-a-Bottle, Band of Regeneration, Magic Mirror, Anklet of the Wind, Aglet, Ice Skates, etc.

Yes, that's all good and all. But what I meant by my reply was that you're killing time mining for something you don't need and thus killing spelunker potion time.

Also...gravitation potions aren't something that is readily available. To make them, you need to kill harpies and also get fireblossom from hell. Otherwise, you're dependent on RNG for them. I very rarely get any until I visit the dungeon/jungle.

I don't really use the starfury because it was nerfed too heavily and it was no longer fun obliterating things with it, and for bosses, I usually have the staves and jester/frostburn arrows with a gold/plat bow before I put the eye down (Its fun destroying it with more gear than you need) And the guns and bows I can get at that time is much better as I don't frequently have potions at that point. As in, I don't have all the potions in the world on me.

Yes, that's all good and all. But what I meant by my reply was that you're killing time mining for something you don't need and thus killing spelunker potion time.

Also...gravitation potions aren't something that is readily available. To make them, you need to kill harpies and also get fireblossom from hell. Otherwise, you're dependent on RNG for them. I very rarely get any until I visit the dungeon/jungle.

I normally find islands with the space gun, TBH. Sometimes I will get one or two grav potions while spelunking, but usually I find the islands with the space gun. Fire it up into the air, listen for the very faint "thud" sound. Build a rope straight up and see what the island has!

Though on Medium worlds you really need to turn the music off and jack the sound up a bit sometimes. It also helps that I use a $150 pair of headphones that lets me hear the faintest pindrop...

I normally find islands with the space gun, TBH. Sometimes I will get one or two grav potions while spelunking, but usually I find the islands with the space gun. Fire it up into the air, listen for the very faint "thud" sound. Build a rope straight up and see what the island has!

Though on Medium worlds you really need to turn the music off and jack the sound up a bit sometimes. It also helps that I use a $150 pair of headphones that lets me hear the faintest pindrop...

Meh, if you're using a Space Gun to find a Starfury, I'd personally not bother with the Starfury at that point.

I also always play on large worlds, so yeah...

Meh, if you're using a Space Gun to find a Starfury, I'd personally not bother with the Starfury at that point.

I also always play on large worlds, so yeah...

Large worlds, single-player?

Just... eeew, lol.

I couldn't imagine doing that, how long it would take you to run from center to dungeon/jungle/etc.

As it is, sometimes medium worlds are too large for my liking, but I find that Small worlds have all kinds of worldgen bugs, and I used to get wyvern attacks on the surface, jungles with only one beehive (that's hard to find) spawning, worlds that lacked certain items (I once got a small world with no shadow key lol, I even used TEdit to confirm that it did indeed spawn with no shadow key) etc etc.

Otherwise I'd use small worlds, just because it cuts down on the ridiculous time spent going to and fro...

Large worlds are huge initially yes, but it becomes much, much smoother after you get mobility accessories (namely wings).

Main problem being with Medium and Small, for me anyway, is that I would often explore the entirety of the Jungle without acquiring everything necessary. This is especially so in small worlds. And I'm not very fond of exploring the same areas over and over again for things like Plantera bulbs and chlorophyte.

Small worlds are also ludicrously susceptible to worldgen issues. Funny at first, but the size of biomes becomes painful.

Large worlds are huge initially yes, but it becomes much, much smoother after you get mobility accessories (namely wings).

Main problem being with Medium and Small, for me anyway, is that I would often explore the entirety of the Jungle without acquiring everything necessary. This is especially so in small worlds. And I'm not very fond of exploring the same areas over and over again for things like Plantera bulbs and chlorophyte.

Small worlds are also ludicrously susceptible to worldgen issues. Funny at first, but the size of biomes becomes painful.

Yeah, Small worlds are definitely just not feasible.

I've never run into an issue with a Medium world failing to spawn everything I needed, though. Not even Flippers. If you have a medium world and it appears that something didn't spawn, chances are if you grabbed TEdit, and searched... it DID spawn, just in some ridiculous out of the way place.

The last playthrough I did, Medium World, I had Beetle Armor and still did not have a Band of Regeneration. I was like "ok, fine, where is the stupid thing?" And there were like 3 of them and all 3 of them were way out of the reach places, lol. There were two lava charms, 3 water walking boots...and 3 flippers... the stuff I almost never find normally... were there. Just in ridiculously out of the way places.

Yeah, Small worlds are definitely just not feasible.

I've never run into an issue with a Medium world failing to spawn everything I needed, though. Not even Flippers. If you have a medium world and it appears that something didn't spawn, chances are if you grabbed TEdit, and searched... it DID spawn, just in some ridiculous out of the way place.

The last playthrough I did, Medium World, I had Beetle Armor and still did not have a Band of Regeneration. I was like "ok, fine, where is the stupid thing?" And there were like 3 of them and all 3 of them were way out of the reach places, lol. There were two lava charms, 3 water walking boots...and 3 flippers... the stuff I almost never find normally... were there. Just in ridiculously out of the way places.

I can get over not having an accessory that is seen as required, it's just the size of the biomes that irks me.

I once went through the entirety of pre-HM without finding a single pair of Hermes Boots. This was after extensive exploration of the jungle, too. Fortunately, you can buy wings instantaneously after defeating the WoF (by prepping your Witch Doctor's location to the jungle and getting Leaf Wings). That helps immensely for early attacks by the mechanicals/pirates.

I once went through the entirety of pre-HM without finding a single pair of Hermes Boots.

Oh, the boots were there... probably in some stupid place.

The game loves sticking the "good" stuff way over in the 10% edge of the map, because it knows that nobody ventures that far except for the Dungeon and/or Jungle if it happened to spawn there.

No, there was actually a pair in a place I thought I already searched. This was in HardMode, though.

Anyway, that's enough of being off-topic.

Back
Top Bottom