Tasks before Hardmode

Don't have amphibian boots, but tested out this. Just the wings, and I don't jump all that high tbh. Add frostspark boots, and the jump is a fair bit higher. Replace the frostsparks with frog gear, and the jump is noticeably higher still, and I seem to climb quicker as well. Add them all up (wings + boots + frog gear), and the jump is yet higher. Can't tell exactly how high it is, because I have nothing to measure against so high up, but it was easy to notice just by using the minimap (where 'darkness' begins) and the arena. Could be twice as high as with only the wings. So for now I'll use all three of them, as I have nothing better to use anyway. Rather than replacing the boots, I was looking more towards upgrading them with the lava version --> Terraspark boots.
Having both a Frog Leg tinker and Frostspark Boots would be ideal, but you've only got 5 accessory slots since you're in Classic Mode. You don't have any combat accessories, so I'd recommend getting the Amphibian Boots now but saving them in a chest and keeping your current build then after killing the mech bosses swapping your boots for Amphibian Boots and swapping your Frog Leg with a Fire Gauntlet. The Fire Gauntlet is worth it, by the way, because it gives all melee weapons autoswing, increases melee damage and speed by 12%, and makes your melee weapons apply fire to enemies.

That Fire Gauntlet does sound good. Don't really get why I ought to change out the Frostspark boots for the Amphibian boots though :confused: (hmm, that avatar looks very different than the question-marks-over-head that I'm used with)

About current accessories, I'm thinking more about swapping out the regeneration item, as it doesn't give me all that much, really just a little regeneration, but think I'll simply keep what I have for now, until something really good shows up at some point. Meanwhile I looked through the bags again, and noticed something curious. Honeyed Goggles. Turns out it's a bee mount, and oh boy can that thing flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Mapped out most of the sky, and found 6 islands. Spent a day fishing there, hoping to get some crates, and check out any unique fish. While I'm casually fishing, there is a disturbance in the ground again...

Off we go then, I must try again. Fearing another NPC slaughter, however, I went someplace else. Bit random, so I set up some torches so I can see a little, with so many regular enemies spawning too, including those damn annoying nimbus guys raining crap on me and being hard to hit (plus bugging off upwards).

It went better this time, although wings aside, I don't have very different gear. Those meant it was possible to bugger off a few times though, buy some time, swallow a potion, and slowly regeneration a little health.
YEAH BABY!! :D😍

Destroyer defeated.jpg

The laser thing didn't seem as bad this time, but then I also tried to take out some of those small drones when they were near me, which must have helped. Elsewise it was much the same as in the first attempt, with standing next to the giant worm and swing the flail around my head, hitting him endless times as he passed by. Worked much better this time, and apart from one somewhat close call, I wasn't really in dire danger of dying.

Barely settled down, trying to look at what happened, before the next message. Looks like I only got soul of might fragments and some hallow bars, but things got hectic so... while I'm trying to figure out if some loot could be stuck underground from the kill, there is a solar eclipse. No idea what that would entail, but kinda assumed it was an invasion of some type. Back to the arena I went, preparing with another potion of ironskin and regeneration, and hitting the penetration tool (it lasts 10 minutes).

Dodgy start because I got surrounded by some flying enemies, so thought they would all be like that, and swarm round me, so I stuck high in the arena and pinged them from afar with the flail. But it soon turned out none of them really jumped up, so then I dared to go down and be more active. Apart from some guys that shot lasers, it actually wasn't that bad. Surely partly because the flail was really good in this fight, seeing that most of them stayed on the ground, and I could hit many of them simultaneously, plus get knockback and sometimes confusion effect. Jump up a floor or over and around them when it got too hectic, and chug healing potions when needed.

Got some items out of that, and hopefully some of those are good. Think two of them were called Moon Stone and Moon Shell (or something to that effect).
Inventory post-Destroyer and solar eclipse.jpg
Looks like I need to defeat the two other mech bosses too before being able to make the new pickaxe. The hallow armor looks like a sideways step from adamantite, so not sure that is worth it. Both give 50 defense. For some reason there is an "ancient" version of the hallow armor too, though it looked like it had the exact same stats.

Presumably this changes something in the world. The Steampunker joined up, for starters. Anything else major I need to be aware of?

Looks like I need to defeat the two other mech bosses too before being able to make the new pickaxe. The hallow armor looks like a sideways step from adamantite, so not sure that is worth it. Both give 50 defense. For some reason there is an "ancient" version of the hallow armor too, though it looked like it had the exact same stats.
The Hallowed armour is much better than Adamantite. While it isn't much better statwise, it provides a set bonus which allows you to completely negate damage every 30 seconds. If you don't get hit very often, it allows you to be almost invulnerable.

That's pretty awesome!

You can craft some other interesting stuff too from soul of might, probably, but yeah, the drax/pickaxe axe needs all 3 souls.
Also, agree with @Dreadnautilus5000 hallowed armor has an awesome set bonus.
it has "ancient" version by the way, because that how its old sprite looked like, but it got resprited in 1.4. they have the same stats, but look a bit different.

also, now that one mech boss is down, life fruits should started to grow in the (underground/cavern layer) jungle. At first they're quite rare, but try to look around for them. spelunker potion can be a big help. and you can destroy some of the normal bushes too, in hope that the next thing that grows there will be a life fruit.

Gah! Thought I had them :(
Went pretty well until half health or so, and I really thought I'd nail them. Then the second phase hit on one of them, and it completely ruined me in no time at all.
(Missed catching their health bar, but it was at something like 30% left)
Twins ruined me.jpg

Btw, I made Amphibian boots and tested out flight height with those compared with the frostspark boots. The frostspark boots had a fair bit higher distance, maybe 10-15 blocks. With the first set I came a little bit under a floating island, while with the frostsparks I came a little bit over it.

Steampunker finally arrived for proper, and I checked out his stuff.
Clentaminator available.jpg
Thought I had to kill at least all three mech bosses for that thing to show up. Not cheap, though he's unhappy here with 100 other people, so base cost is probably something like to platinums (not that I lack money, but still..). Do people generally buy that thing first chance, and then clean up the world? Or at least large bulks of it? Last time I checked, hallow was at 8%, and crimson at 15%. Spreading pretty rapidly tbh. It's currently going down and around the safety shaft in the jungle. Hallow is probably climbing up towards the base, and further downwards. Last time I went down the hellevator under the main base, I found 47 torches at the bottom. Presumably they are knocked loose when the tiles swap (or possibly if a crystal shard spawns on the same tile).

About the Twins (or the last chap, who hasn't showned up yet), do I need better equipment? The second phase pawned me badly. Seemed to get slower movement, and was caught in a very wide arc of spray, and couldn't really get out of it despite trying in several directions. Died probably less than 30 seconds after the first dude turned. Until then, it went pretty well I thought. Not all that much damaged, and I flew around hitting them, sometimes nabbing both with one swing.

Sounds like the hallow bars armor is worth it despite similar defensive stats then. But I need many more bars -- probably have to kill all three of them to get enough. 23 currently, and need 54 iirc. For some reason the headgear is unusually named for this set. Usually the "helmet" is the melee version, but not here.
also, now that one mech boss is down, life fruits should started to grow in the (underground/cavern layer) jungle. At first they're quite rare, but try to look around for them. spelunker potion can be a big help. and you can destroy some of the normal bushes too, in hope that the next thing that grows there will be a life fruit.
Did this btw, and managed to find four of them. Then I died, and died again over there. Such a nasty area with those turtles and crap, gibbing me so damn fast.

Last edited:
Spazmatism's (I think that's the one?) curesed-fire breath attack can be very devastating, if you get caught in it. And if you're using melee weapons, it can be tough to keep enough distance. I still would say, give a try to dart pistol (from crimson greater mimics) with ichor darts. I know it's not melee, but it's very strong, and might be useful. That doesn't means you have to change class, it should be fine like this.

You can craft the mech bosses spawn item yourself too by the way. (show some iron/lead bars to the guide)

You can't get much better equipment at this point I guess. Even with something replaced with a warrior emblem for +15% melee dmg, the problem there is probably more the lack of range, to keep away from spazmatism in its 2nd phase. so, that's why I think, even if it's not melee, try out some weapons with longer range.

actually funny marketing trick there from the steampunker with the 98 gold at the end, makes you first think 2 plat, when it's almost 3 (lol, scam-artist). the base price of the clemtaminator is 2 plat by the way. but it can be cheaper, if she's happy.
My opinion is, that, since spreading biomes will spread back if not quaranteened, or purified completely, it's much better to just quaranteene them, and don't worry about purifying them. except in areas you want to restore (e.g. a former town that was fallen when the V appeared). it also can be used to spread other biomes via other types of solutions. like the hallow, or the evil biomes, not just the purity. (though no one will sell you corruption solution in this world I think)

reminds me, there's another NPC that was missed, the truffle. he will move in only, if you have a house for him, in a surface glowing-mushroom biome. since those aren't naturally appearing on the surface, you have to make a biome like that, on your own. It takes around 50 (or 100?) blocks of mushroom grass and stuff (I read that the mushrooms growing on it count too) to count as the biome. on the surface or above.

otherwise, try to gather more life fruits, and face the other two mech bosses - or if you feel more confident in facing the destroyer a few more times, you can spawn it again with item, and get enough hallowed bars for the full armor like that. there's also queen slime you can try to battle.

Gah! Thought I had them :(
Went pretty well until half health or so, and I really thought I'd nail them. Then the second phase hit on one of them, and it completely ruined me in no time at all.
(Missed catching their health bar, but it was at something like 30% left)
View attachment 318231

Btw, I made Amphibian boots and tested out flight height with those compared with the frostspark boots. The frostspark boots had a fair bit higher distance, maybe 10-15 blocks. With the first set I came a little bit under a floating island, while with the frostsparks I came a little bit over it.

Steampunker finally arrived for proper, and I checked out his stuff.
Thought I had to kill at least all three mech bosses for that thing to show up. Not cheap, though he's unhappy here with 100 other people, so base cost is probably something like to platinums (not that I lack money, but still..). Do people generally buy that thing first chance, and then clean up the world? Or at least large bulks of it? Last time I checked, hallow was at 8%, and crimson at 15%. Spreading pretty rapidly tbh. It's currently going down and around the safety shaft in the jungle. Hallow is probably climbing up towards the base, and further downwards. Last time I went down the hellevator under the main base, I found 47 torches at the bottom. Presumably they are knocked loose when the tiles swap (or possibly if a crystal shard spawns on the same tile).

About the Twins (or the last chap, who hasn't showned up yet), do I need better equipment? The second phase pawned me badly. Seemed to get slower movement, and was caught in a very wide arc of spray, and couldn't really get out of it despite trying in several directions. Died probably less than 30 seconds after the first dude turned. Until then, it went pretty well I thought. Not all that much damaged, and I flew around hitting them, sometimes nabbing both with one swing.

Sounds like the hallow bars armor is worth it despite similar defensive stats then. But I need many more bars -- probably have to kill all three of them to get enough. 23 currently, and need 54 iirc. For some reason the headgear is unusually named for this set. Usually the "helmet" is the melee version, but not here.

Did this btw, and managed to find four of them. Then I died, and died again over there. Such a nasty area with those turtles and crap, gibbing me so damn fast.
This is why you need the Shadowflame Knife. It has enough range to hit Spazmatism in his second phase while you stay away from his flamethrower.

Cheers. Had another session, and as usual have a few queries (thanks so much for being patient with me :))

First:
  • Shadow knife: sounds like a good bet, so I may need to try to farm the goblins and see if it drops. Missing the melee type emblem too. Suppose I need that to upgrade to(wards) Fire Guardian (was that the name?).
  • Spazmatism/Twins fight: Yeah, that was the one. Caught me in that spray of poison/curse/whatever, and it seemed to slow me down, and I wasn't able to get out of the spray the last time, and got insta-gibbed. Looking at the wiki, it prevents health regeneration, which in itself is a death sentence. Even with the charm that cuts the time between heals with 25%, I can't do it often in boss fights, which hurts when I get hit a lot.
  • Truffle: Don't have that bloke yet, nor have I made any biomes anywhere. How would I do that anyway? Spam mud and somehow sow glowing mushrooms?
  • Clentaminator: Not bought it yet, because I wanted to get more NPCs in their right biomes so get happier. But don't have the creativity to make new towns, so I keep putting it off and off and off. Also, how bad is it that the home base is getting overwhelmed with hallow? The grass to the east is entirely hallow now, the graveyard I set up over there spawns pixies and such instead of zombies, and the background has changed behind the east side of the town. Presumably it's creeping over underground too. Will NPCs refuse to live here now, or is that only if crimson would come over?
    This was a while ago, so by now all the grass and trees have 'turned'
    Hallowed main base.jpg
  • Life Fruits: Have kept looking for them in the jungle, but not found any more despite spending three spelunking potions on it, and see Life Fruits nearby in the cellphone display. Did find four earlier, but would like to fill out the life bar to get to 500 HP.
By spending so much time in the jungle however, which keeps spamming bees every which way, I ended up with two broken wings or whatever they were called. Once I got back to the surface, I crafted bee wings. Then tested them out. Not a big difference in terms of height, but they get a little higher than the fairy wings. Maybe they last a little longer too, bu that's harder to check (without consulting the wiki).

Another boss showed up too, Skeleton Prime.
YAY! It was a really tough fight, though, and given that the guy will leave at 4:30, an incredibly close call! So much health, and I found it hard to hit him. Think he lost two or possibly three arms, and towards the end I tried to focus more on the head. Is it the head that kills him, or would he die if all four arms were lost too?

Skeleton Prime defeated.jpg

Tried to set up the Etheria crystal thing, but it wouldn't launch. Apart from the arena, which is somewhat flat, I don't have any other suitable areas. West is lakes, desert, crimson and jungle, and east is hallow, crimson (desert), some hills and living trees. Made a row of regular wood left of the arena (top row), about 130 tiles long, but unfortunately that didn't work. If it needs solid ground and such and such thick, I have a problem (without heavy terra-forming). And I'd like to at least try out this thing before the last boss is dealt with. I've made a Queen Spider Staff, which is really useful when fishing, and hopefully that one will work during this event too -- if I can get the thing to trigger properly.

Have also upgraded the Frostspark boots to Terraspark boots, so can run on lava now. Very nice in Hell, but maybe a little awkward more generally, if I want to jump into the water to avoid some of the enemies in the Jungle for example. There is down arrow ofc, but it's a little slower.

Met some Red Devils in Hell too, and holy mother those were rough. I hope they won't disturb too much if I try to farm the Wall of Flesh. Their projectiles hack right through the health bar in no time.

That's some nice progress again. and don't worry about going slow, I think, it's better that way than rushing thing. I tend to play pretty slow as well.

Getting the shadowflame knives could be good, yeah.
As for fire gauntlet, it uses an avanger emblem, so it actually doesn't matters which emblem you have (as long as you got any of them from WoF) because either of them can be crafted into an avanger emblem.

For the Truffle, you can make a surface glowing mushroom biome by placing mud somewhere and plant mushroom grass on it (using mushroom grass seeds, which sometimes drops, when you cut the small growing mushrooms in mushroom biomes underground, or sometimes when you chop the large mushrooms, I think (not sure about the later)). It can be a chunk of floating blocks, it doesn't have to be technically on the ground. And I think you need 50 blocks with mushroom grass or such. and you need a house in that biome, practically around the center of it.

As for Hallow, NPCs won't move away, they don't consider it corrupted or such. Though some of them dislikes it, they will not move away. On the surface, the house will stop it, but it will likely keep preading under your base, and pop up on the other side too. if you like the hallow, then don't worry about it, but if you don't like it, you could make some trenches, to stop it.

For life fruits, if you see the metal detector (cell phone) showing there's one/some nearby, use a spelunker potion that time, and look around that area.

Good work defeating Skeletron Prime! And, yeah, he dies if you kill his head. Don't worry about his arms - though they're often in the way of hitting his head, so sometimes you kill some even when you was focusing on the head, but it makes no real difference whether you kill his hands or not.

As for Old One's Army, definitelly get one of the sentry staves from the tavernkeep. When you ask him about the eternia crystal, he gives you 5 defender medals for free. you can buy one of the first tier staves from him. choose whichever sounds the best for you. Since one (or more) mech boss is down, OOA is tier 2 now, so it will be much tougher than it would been before, so these sentries won't do a real lot of dmg, but they're still better than nothing. You can buy tier 2 staves now, but you can't afford them yet. You earn defender medals in the event by getting to a certain point or farther, so you can try to do it a few times, (you get some if you reach far, even if you can't clear it), and get a tier 2 staff.

for the arena itself, a long floating row of solid block is probably the best, so it's completely flat, and isn't in the way of other stuff that much. You can put some blocks at the ends to stop you from accidentally running off the arena. And it should be like 200 I think, or more blocks long. Give a try to asphalt blocks (you can buy that blend-o-matic now, from the steampunker and make asphalt from stone and gel. you can run super fast on it, which is very useful for this event. Also add heart lanterns and stuff to the arena.

Something simple, like this.
50.png

Things are going pretty good for you! Have you fought Queen Slime yet? Just checking.
Not yet. Have some summoning items though (and some for all mech bosses too, they dropped)
That's some nice progress again. and don't worry about going slow, I think, it's better that way than rushing thing. I tend to play pretty slow as well.
Slow? What do you mean? :D
Slow progress.jpg

No, seriously, I'm always slow in games like this, and in all RPGs I've ever played. I like to dive in and enjoy the world too much, and take my sweet time doing whatever. It's not a race.

Thanks for the clarification about Fire Gauntlet. I thought you needed the melee type emblem for that, and maybe there were other emblems for other 'classes', but I suppose this one is general about type of damage++. The Hallow doesn't seem too bad, at least on the surface, but I don't want this whole area to turn hallow either. Want to get normal trees for example, and I like the forest music. On that note, I'm glad I happened to start on the mushroom biome a little west of town, because both the background and music changed. Had 60-odd seeds sitting around, so used some of those. More than needed, because the grass spread very quickly, and mushrooms were growing before I had started on the house. Ended up like this, which I quite like.
Mushroom biome.jpg
Moved the Dryad over there. She isn't as happy, but Truffle is, so now he gives the best prices. There also is a pylon available, so now I have two. This location is close to the main base, so it's pretty quick to move to the jungle pylon now. Looked like only two NPCs there caused enemies to spawn again, so I moved the cat over to the jungle. Poor thing.

Noticed I had found a beach conch, which can teleport me to the beach. However, it always does so to the west beach, even if I were closer to the right one. Because I build wooded platforms over the entire eastern ocean, I had planned to (very eventually) move the Angler over there. Is it not possible to get the conch to teleport me to the other ocean, to the east?

Blood Moons are such non-events now (altho the clown is nasty), so I've spent the last couple fishing underground somewhere. Very nasty enemies can spawn. Was sooooo close to killing Dreadnautilus, but when he was almost dead the morning came, and he buggered off. Shame.

Similar story with the Twins. I was going through the chests looking for duplicates to sell, so must have missed the status message (maybe it doesn't show there?). While en route to Truffle, a big health bar popped up... I tried, and it went better. They spin around each other much, so hard to focus on one of them, but I did manage to kill the laser guy first, before the curse-spitting geezer turned. Didn't die at least, altho it was a very close call, but didn't have enough time to get rid of his last 10-ish percent HP. Was on my last legs so not sure I could have won with an hour or two more, but certainly closer than last time.

As you suggested, I built an asphalt highway for the Old One's Army event -- 200 tiles wide. For some reason wood doesn't qualify, but regular blocks do. I don't think there is much point in trying though. I bought the fire tower and set it up on one side and the spider queen staff on the other, and kept adding more towers to both sides when I could. Got through three waves, but stood zero chance whatsoever in the fourth. Completely overwhelmed us, killed the crystal, and soon after I died too. Found a graph of waves on the wiki, and I need to clear the 4th wave to get any defender medals -- but that will only grant me one. Doing that 25 times? Probably better to ignore the whole thing. Even if I was entirely indestructible (god mode), I wouldn't be able to defend that crystal against such forces on both sides. Would probably need to farm the tier 1 OOA first, and get better sentries right away. But I can't do that now, having defeated a mech boss.

Maybe it would be more fruitful to try out the Destroyer again and get enough hallowed bars for the full armor set, and then see about taking on the Twins. Or go back to the Dungeon if something has changed in there. Or, err, finally build some darn houses for these people. Some more pylons would be nice, especially to the ocean so I can move the angler there without spending most of the day to figure out what today's quest fish is. Have only done 35 quests so far.

Not yet. Have some summoning items though (and some for all mech bosses too, they dropped)

Slow? What do you mean? :D
View attachment 318453

No, seriously, I'm always slow in games like this, and in all RPGs I've ever played. I like to dive in and enjoy the world too much, and take my sweet time doing whatever. It's not a race.

Thanks for the clarification about Fire Gauntlet. I thought you needed the melee type emblem for that, and maybe there were other emblems for other 'classes', but I suppose this one is general about type of damage++. The Hallow doesn't seem too bad, at least on the surface, but I don't want this whole area to turn hallow either. Want to get normal trees for example, and I like the forest music. On that note, I'm glad I happened to start on the mushroom biome a little west of town, because both the background and music changed. Had 60-odd seeds sitting around, so used some of those. More than needed, because the grass spread very quickly, and mushrooms were growing before I had started on the house. Ended up like this, which I quite like.
Moved the Dryad over there. She isn't as happy, but Truffle is, so now he gives the best prices. There also is a pylon available, so now I have two. This location is close to the main base, so it's pretty quick to move to the jungle pylon now. Looked like only two NPCs there caused enemies to spawn again, so I moved the cat over to the jungle. Poor thing.

Noticed I had found a beach conch, which can teleport me to the beach. However, it always does so to the west beach, even if I were closer to the right one. Because I build wooded platforms over the entire eastern ocean, I had planned to (very eventually) move the Angler over there. Is it not possible to get the conch to teleport me to the other ocean, to the east?

Blood Moons are such non-events now (altho the clown is nasty), so I've spent the last couple fishing underground somewhere. Very nasty enemies can spawn. Was sooooo close to killing Dreadnautilus, but when he was almost dead the morning came, and he buggered off. Shame.

Similar story with the Twins. I was going through the chests looking for duplicates to sell, so must have missed the status message (maybe it doesn't show there?). While en route to Truffle, a big health bar popped up... I tried, and it went better. They spin around each other much, so hard to focus on one of them, but I did manage to kill the laser guy first, before the curse-spitting geezer turned. Didn't die at least, altho it was a very close call, but didn't have enough time to get rid of his last 10-ish percent HP. Was on my last legs so not sure I could have won with an hour or two more, but certainly closer than last time.

As you suggested, I built an asphalt highway for the Old One's Army event -- 200 tiles wide. For some reason wood doesn't qualify, but regular blocks do. I don't think there is much point in trying though. I bought the fire tower and set it up on one side and the spider queen staff on the other, and kept adding more towers to both sides when I could. Got through three waves, but stood zero chance whatsoever in the fourth. Completely overwhelmed us, killed the crystal, and soon after I died too. Found a graph of waves on the wiki, and I need to clear the 4th wave to get any defender medals -- but that will only grant me one. Doing that 25 times? Probably better to ignore the whole thing. Even if I was entirely indestructible (god mode), I wouldn't be able to defend that crystal against such forces on both sides. Would probably need to farm the tier 1 OOA first, and get better sentries right away. But I can't do that now, having defeated a mech boss.

Maybe it would be more fruitful to try out the Destroyer again and get enough hallowed bars for the full armor set, and then see about taking on the Twins. Or go back to the Dungeon if something has changed in there. Or, err, finally build some darn houses for these people. Some more pylons would be nice, especially to the ocean so I can move the angler there without spending most of the day to figure out what today's quest fish is. Have only done 35 quests so far.
The Truffle sells the Mushroom Spear, which is a pretty good spear that fires lingering mushrooms that can deal damage to enemies through blocks and is pretty good for when the Twins charge at you, since they'll run into the mushrooms.

By "fire tower" do you mean the Flameburst or the Explosive Trap? The Flameburst is the worst out of the sentries that the Tavernkeep sells, because its fireballs explode and don't pierce, unlike the Ballista which is a much better choice. You should create a new world, set up an OOA arena there and farm tier 1 a few times so that you can buy a tier two sentry in your main world - preferably the Ballista Cane.

The conch teleports you to the beach furthest from your current position. If you use on the east half of the world you'll go to the west beach and vice versa.

There's so much in the game to discover and all, it makes perfect sense to play really slow, especially first playthrough. But it's also generally enjoyable to play slow on later playthroughs too.

That mushroom biome looks fine too.

As for the magic conch, yes, like @Doodles said too, which ocean it teleports you to, depends on which side of the world you're in (the center is the world-spawn point).
you can even do it like if it teleported you to the eastern ocean, but you want to go to the west, that you use it again right there, and it will teleport you to the other, because you're on this side of the world.

For OOA, I think, the tiers are like
from start until one mech boss is down - tier 1 (start is technically post EoW/BoC, since that's when the tavernkeep appears)
from 1 mech boss down until golem - tier 2
post golem - tier 3

so, you can try to farm it in another world, or just postpone it post-plantera - but pre-golem!! - and you will have no problem handling tier 2, with post plantera gear, I think.

also, I think my favorite sentry is the explosive trap, but the ballista and the lightning aura are pretty good too. explosive trap can't really reach airborn foes. but does good dmg. to land-based ones. ballista can hit flying enemies too, it can be a good idea to get 2 or more types of sentries, and use them where you think they're the best, like explosive traps near the portals, and ballistas near the crystal, or something.

you could rematch the destroyer, or skeletron prime, and get the full hallowed armor, I think, that would be a good idea, and then try to face the twins - though you probably can tackle them now anyway, considering how close you were to winning earlier. Agree with @Dreadnautilus5000 mushroom spear is quite powerful. it can turn even more brutal with feral claws or its derivates which allows autoswing, so you can spam the field with those lingering mushrooms. they disappear after like a sec, but considering the amount, chances are high the twins get caught in some of them quite often.

also, yeah, building a few more towns could be good too XD

By "fire tower" do you mean the Flameburst or the Explosive Trap? The Flameburst is the worst out of the sentries that the Tavernkeep sells, because its fireballs explode and don't pierce, unlike the Ballista which is a much better choice.
Ooof, wish I knew that. I bought the flameburst tower :( The text said the ballista was slow, so I figured it was better to have a faster tower with decent damage. Too late now, tho, I'm not going to start another world and play 40 hours or whatever just for this event.
The conch teleports you to the beach furthest from your current position. If you use on the east half of the world you'll go to the west beach and vice versa.
I must have done that earlier and forgot about it. Geeze. Tried again now, and went first to the west ocean, then the east, on the very east tip of the wooded platform there.

Looked up Feral Claw again, because I already have a Titan Glove or three, and it looks like it can only be gotten from crates or chests. I may not have any more Ivy Chests, because I've explored the living trees (but will go back and see if I missed any). Bramble Crates is another option. However, is it not possible to get those in the surface jungle? Spent well over a day fishing at the fishing hut there, and got nothing to show for it. Except a million fish :D Even got a Titanium chest, and many others, but no Brambles. Must it be underground? Then I run into the issue of enemies everywhere.
No Bramble Chests.jpg
Are there any good uses (currently) for items that drop a lot, like lenses, vines, jungle spores, vertebras, bomb fish and the like? They're starting to take up a lot of room in various chests, and I don't particularly need/want to fight Eye of Cthulhu 50 times ;) There are the mech boss spawn items, but I already have like 8 of those, because they dropped along the way.

Don't worry too much about OOA for now, just try it again post-Plantera (but pre-Golem), when you have much better gear, but it's still tier 2.

As for feral claws, I think it can be found in chests in the jungle - and the respecive biome crates. It's not particularly rare usually, so, if your would doesn't have any that's a bit bad luck. You can easily get one from a new world though, if you explore the jungle (and that actually has a feral claws nearby), though you can skip it too, if you don't wanna go through the trouble. It's quite an useful accessory though, particularly for melee (and summoner) class.
Also, I think you can get biome crates on the surface too, but they're just nonsensically rare, both the surface and underground...

As for some of those items, generally, show them to the guide. If you see things that you're interested in crafting, then try to make them, but if there's nothing you wanna use them for, you could just sell some of those. particularly if you have several stacks of them. It can be wise to keep rare things though, like additional fish finder parts, or the like, if you wanna just give them to another character in a new playthrough later. Not necessarily in a game-breaking way, but I know there are times when RNG just hates you, and you did 30+ quests, and one component is still missing XD then, you might as well just get it from somewhere, than doing 10 more quests for it while being all frustrated.
But as for common stuff like lenses, there's really no real reason to keep multiple stacks of it.

Are there any good uses (currently) for items that drop a lot, like lenses, vines, jungle spores, vertebras, bomb fish and the like? They're starting to take up a lot of room in various chests, and I don't particularly need/want to fight Eye of Cthulhu 50 times ;) There are the mech boss spawn items, but I already have like 8 of those, because they dropped along the way.
Lenses, bones, vertebrae, souls, and bars are used to make mech boss summons, so keep those because you'll need to summon the Twins soon and you might want to farm them for Hallowed Bars or Souls of Might, Fright and Sight.

But Bomb Fish aren't very useful because you can just buy Dynamite from the Demolitionist that have a much bigger explosion radius, and everything made from Jungle Spores and Vines aren't useful at this point in the game. You should check with the Guide to see what materials like these make, and if it's all Pre-Hardmode stuff you can probably just sell them. But don't sell potion ingredients though.

Thank you both. Will just go ahead and sell some of those items then, like vertebra and lenses. I don't need several hundred of them (but wish they could be stacked to 999). Same with all the bombs. 99 really isn't much, and I've got loads of stacks with them. Probably best to sell off a bunch. The ammo chest is basically full of various arrows anyway.

Shame about lacking Feral Claws, but hope I can still get it one way or another. Hadn't expected biome chests to be so exceedingly rare, though. Usually get a few seaside crates when fishing in the ocean, but uptil now I haven't received a single bramble/jungle crate, because I've kept one spare copy of all I've gotten so far for auto stacking purposes, and there are zero. Despite fishing a LOT at that jungle town location.

Speaking of the jungle, and the desert, they both are in the process of going extinct :(
Suddenly noticed a laaaarge part of the desert is simply gone, and the jungle is under vicious assault as well. The shaft here that I hoped for protect it, got overwhelmed from both sides. I'm seeing the green jungle ore many places, including in the below picture, but it's nowhere near enough to stop the tide. Looks like the shaft I bombed down early on is holding for now, but there is a risk the crimson will move around it given the sorry state of this section.
Jungle under attack.jpg
On the upside, I took on the Destroyer again and have upgraded to Hallowed armor. Probably doesn't help a whole lot given how frequently I get hit in these locations, but every little bit, right? Found some more life fruits too, and am getting closer to 500 HP.

Found this quite funny :)
Good thing I had removed 3 dart traps, or they would have done me in.

Dead man's survival.jpg
Also sorry to @Dreadnautilus5000 for killing two of your brethren :p

Edit: Trying to save the jungle. Hope this will suffice, at least for now, and that it hasn't got through somewhere. Can the walls spread through the whole thing as well? I tried to remove some of those too, but there is soooooo much of the stuff.
Try to save jungle.jpg
The desert though? I tried... but :red: that place and its two million desert spirits spawning per second. Wanted a house over there, but the crimson can just take the damn place. Way too annoying to try to do ANYTHING there anyway :mad:

Last edited:
Yes, you need to save the jungle. When Crimson (not Hallow) spreads onto mud blocks (what the jungle is made of) it converts them into dirt blocks instead of keeping them as mud.

YES! Third time's the charm :)
Twins down.jpg
Again an incredibly close call with time. I was in the jungle looking for possibly leftover Ivy chests and was going to ignore it, summoning the Twins instead, but then decided to have a go. Towards the end I had to fly away a good bit, waiting for the potion timer to reset so I could heal. In the last charge it did, I took a chance and luckily got in a few double hits which put the bugger over the edge. Now the jungle grows restless...

Only got 18 hallowed bars, but it was enough to make a Pickaxe Axe. Reckon that can mine chlorophyte ore. Suppose this is the best melee weapon I can have at the moment, and it's not worth it to upgrade Night's Edge or make an Excalibur?

Gave up on the desert many times due to the obscene spawn rate of the desert bastards, but also tried again and again. Eventually, with the help of 2 stacks of bombs and all the dynamite I had (40-ish), I think there is a wide enough protective barrier to withstand the crimson assault. Made a wide shaft downwards, and then a horizontal one to protect the desert home that was built on top.
Not pretty or anything, though I still spent a lot of time on it (in between storms and rains). It will have to serve. Used one of the bottomless water buckets to fill up the lake a bit more, so I can fish without penalty. Technically it hovers in the air, but it doesn't look that way.

Desert home.jpg
Now to see what this metal band, I mean Plantera, is all about. Good to make some real progress again.

Back
Top Bottom