Tax collector rescue is not obvious enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for one he is the first ever NPC that actually gives you free gold, so I don't think he should have a in game, guide, hint.

Other than that, I mean I guess a slight hint could do some justice to him, maybe having the Dryad say something about something being tortured in hell and has been waiting to be rescued.

The way you rescue him is like straight from an old school game. I pretty much immediately realized what I should do. I can't be the only one since someone made the entry to the wiki.

Besides, there are other things in the game the guide or the other NPC's never hint about. Duke Fishron comes to mind.

and yet duke fishron could be spawned by accident, cuz you just got a fricking 666% bait power bait, and you got a fricking amazing golden rod, and you wanna see if anything happens, so you fish here and there, until you fish at the ocean and whoops, wtf is that?

however the tortured soul... who runs around the underworld with purification powder anyway?
personally, it's an item i have NEVER used, cuz i didnt need it, so i would've never guessed it without the wiki.

now my "suggestion" for this, would be several NPCs give relative clues about it, the guide could tell you about the tortured soul existance, the dryad could emphasize on the need to not only purify the world, but also it's creatures, the demolitionist/arms dealer could joke about it constantly coming back even after you've killed it, and so on, and so forth...

The way you rescue him is like straight from an old school game. I pretty much immediately realized what I should do. I can't be the only one since someone made the entry to the wiki.
Pardon my curiousity, which old game is that? :)

Many games from the olden days had leaps of logic just like this. Tombi/Tomba comes to mind immediately. Also the third Zelda.
Hmm, I don't know those games but still, that's very true. Plenty of old pc and even C64 games I played that required out of the box thinking.

I guess games nowadays make us lazy. :(

Reactions: Nev
Well at least the tax collector isn't needy as hell when you "save" him unlike a large amount of some certain kind of NPC's in the second and third games of a certain zombie game series I like. If you really want to reference the first game that I'm mentioning then the Tax collector would walk into threats and walls a lot.

That was drifting off course, I'm sorry. I like the method of obtaining the tax collector. Terraria needed something that was more hidden to find.

Edits are the best.

Why are you guys talking about the tax collector like he's an absolutly necessary NPC that everybody should have? First of all the wiki is a thing, second of all he gives 10 golds at best, there's no need to make such a big deal over him in my opinion. .-.

Hmm, I don't know those games but still, that's very true. Plenty of old pc and even C64 games I played that required out of the box thinking.

I guess games nowadays make us lazy. :(
Not lazy. Not knowing that if you go to a worthless biome with a worthless item and using it on a would be worthless enemy is not lazy.
Huh? There is a Tax Collector NPC??? Really? When did this happen?
exactly
Why are you guys talking about the tax collector like he's an absolutly necessary NPC that everybody should have? First of all the wiki is a thing, second of all he gives 10 golds at best, there's no need to make such a big deal over him in my opinion. .-.
Sure, the Wiki is a thing, but how would someone like Sssjim7 even know what to type in to the search bar? Unless I spent an hour clicking on the random page option I still wouldn't really know the tax collector is a thing.

Sure, the Wiki is a thing, but how would someone like Sssjim7 even know what to type in to the search bar? Unless I spent an hour clicking on the random page option I still wouldn't really know the tax collector is a thing.
It's called tortured soul. Most people came across him because of the Tortured Soul in Hell and then all you need to do is hit up the wiki.

Also, I'm in favor of how it is right now. Having something in the game that is secret is good because it's not necessarily a challege, but something that isn't always found.

I was already suspicious of that Tortured Soul, but when I got an inventory editor program, saw a "tax" section on the character stats, and the Tax Collector's outfit, I caught on. And guessed it was the powder I had to use. And I was right.

Wow, genius detective club here. As mentioned before - how average player who didn't play Majora's Mask should guess that some old and forgotten purification powder (not even holy water) that is almost never used by anyone is needed to save a tortured soul? It's the first and only time purification powder is used for such purpose. I guess it doesn't work to save goldfish, bunnies and penguins? Is there any connection between Corruption and Hell for this decision to be obvious - oh, this powder turns Corruption back to normal? Let's go and use it in hardmode on some new rare mob in Hell.

Maybe I really became lazy and lost some gaming wit, but I'm sure that this game needs more hints on obscure features like this. And sending people to the wiki is a direct result of "Guide, dang it" trope, which is rarely a good thing.

Last edited:
Wow, genius detective club here. As mentioned before - how average player who didn't play Majora's Mask should guess that some old and forgotten purification powder (not even holy water) that is almost never used by anyone is needed to save a tortured soul? It's the first and only time purification powder is used for such purpose. I guess it doesn't work to save goldfish, bunnies and penguins? Is there any connection between Corruption and Hell for this decision to be obvious - oh, this powder turns Corruption back to normal? Let's go and use it in hardmode on some new rare mob in Hell.

Maybe I really became lazy and lost some gaming wit, but I'm sure that this game needs more hints on obscure features like this. And sending people to the wiki is a direct result of "Guide, dang it" trope, which is rarely a good thing.
Honestly the entire game requires out of the box thinking. How did you about floating islands, the way to summon the Wall, Duke, when to go back to the Dungeon after beating Golem, or the Truffle? Thinking outside the box. Or dumb luck, but eh.

Reactions: Nev
Honestly the entire game requires out of the box thinking. How did you about floating islands, the way to summon the Wall, Duke, when to go back to the Dungeon after beating Golem, or the Truffle? Thinking outside the box. Or dumb luck, but eh.
I looked it up at the wiki or read in the changelogs. For me it's not okay. Maybe my thinking is boxed too much, but I can't imagine how you should think outside of the box and what should serve as a base for such thinking. I used to think that gold tier pickaxe is the final one.

I looked it up at the wiki or read in the changelogs. For me it's not okay. Maybe my thinking is boxed too much, but I can't imagine how you should think outside of the box and what should serve as a base for such thinking. I used to think that gold tier pickaxe is the final one.
Did you ever use the guide? I'm sorry to say, but if you've never found anything ever for yourself, then it would be quite obvious that you wouldn't find this, and it's just your way of thinking.

Did you ever use the guide? I'm sorry to say, but if you've never found anything ever for yourself, then it would be quite obvious that you wouldn't find this, and it's just your way of thinking.
Of course I used him. But his tips end on demon altars and souls and never mention sky islands and there's nothing except wild guessing and a picture somewhere underground that may not even spawn in your world to base an assumption they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom