Tool TEdit - Terraria Map Editor

There aren't really any categories..... There's the tile name and there's the name of the sprites in the tile
When you type trap into the filter all the other types of traps show up on the list. Why does every sprite have 2 names on it? They should be put into categories.

Because they have trap in their name, everything is named as in the game. The filter just searches names. Some things have two names because there are multiple sprites to one tile. "Dart Traps" are one tile, tile 137. Within the tile you have all the different varieties
Tiles_137.png

Most furniture items are the same, Chests are one tile with a bunch of different varieties, Chairs, Tables, etc.

Because they have trap in their name, everything is named as in the game. The filter just searches names. Some things have two names because there are multiple sprites to one tile. "Dart Traps" are one tile, tile 137. Within the tile you have all the different varieties
View attachment 138638
Most furniture items are the same, Chests are one tile with a bunch of different varieties, Chairs, Tables, etc.
Still kind of seems unnecessary to have the name on there twice. You could just put the name than next to it what variation it is.
Name (variation)
Dart Trap (Left)
Dart Trap (Right)
Dart Trap (Up)
Dart Trap (Down)
etc...
I don't think we need the name on there twice.
They really should be put into categories. Maybe even have a tab to select the different categories.

Not sure if I posted about platforms or not. But there was a problem with them. I think there was a piece missing. Don't remember which one I will have to look at them again. Also if you make stairs in TEdit with the platforms, players in the game don't run up them like ones made in game. You have to jump on them to go up them. So any time I make stairs I have to make them in the game or they don't work right. The stairs by default make a player run up them unless they are holding down ("S" key) to pass through them.

Also another suggestion for what should be a thing. When placing sprites you should be able to right-click to remove them. It sucks when you place a long line of sprites only to mess up right at the end then have to switch tools to erase the 1 or 2 you placed wrong. Lots of programs have left-click to place, right-click to remove. I think a lot of people would like TEdit to do the same.
`:)

Also another suggestion for what should be a thing. When placing sprites you should be able to right-click to remove them. It sucks when you place a long line of sprites only to mess up right at the end then have to switch tools to erase the 1 or 2 you placed wrong. Lots of programs have left-click to place, right-click to remove. I think a lot of people would like TEdit to do the same. `:)

Undo is your friend in this situation. CTRL+Z.

Dropping by to make 2 more suggestion, if that wasn't already noted somewhere:

1 - I know we can quickly navigate the Block/Wall selection box by typing the name of the block after clicking the selection box. Would it not be more convenient to allow us to type the number of the block? Say you want Tungsten Bricks. Instead of typing "tungsten brick" you could just type "176".

2 - A block/wall favorite system. Or at least something deeper than using X to swap Mask.

The Picker tool does a relatively good job for copying previous block, yet I yearn for one of the two features above during long stretches of edits. Maybe a favorite system inside the picker tool itself?

Peace, and thanks for updating fast for the hotfix.

@SovereignVis
Platforms are a weird thing, stairs also need to have the bricktype set to slopetopleft or slopetopright if editing manually to work right in Terraria. I commented on this a couple pages back, Platforms could really use their own editor in the pencil section like tracks.

I'm not doing much in the way of quality of life development in TEdit right now, I pop back in when it needs updating for Terraria changes, but don't really have the free time anymore. If anyone wants to add a category system they're more than welcome to do a pull request and I'll commit it to the code, but I probably won't be doing it myself

Yeah, platforms are a weird thing. I guess it might be a while before something can be done about that then?

Best course of action for now if you want to save time is to just draw single platforms and hammer them yourself in Terraria. You don't need to change sprite for orientation, no need to use a second block space for stringers, no need to be confused on which Top Landing sprite you need to use to make it look nice and finally, no need to do an extra re-paint on each tile to slope them.

As you hammer the platforms, Single platforms that shouldn't be Single will transform into it's proper sprite. You will save a lot of time doing this.

Attachments

• teditstairs.jpg
    teditstairs.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 396
Best course of action for now if you want to save time is to just draw single platforms and hammer them yourself in Terraria. You don't need to change sprite for orientation, no need to use a second block space for stringers, no need to be confused on which Top Landing sprite you need to use to make it look nice and finally, no need to do an extra re-paint on each tile to slope them.

As you hammer the platforms, Single platforms that shouldn't be Single will transform into it's proper sprite. You will save a lot of time doing this.
What I started doing is making one set in the game, then copy/pasting in TEdit. It's much faster than placing the platforms in TEdit, then having to hammer all of them later.

I found a bug. If there are Magic Sand Droppers present during detailed rendering, TEdit will throw an error and exit.
Tested with TEdit3_BETA_v3.8.16253.142.
09-22-2016 16:24:15: Starting TEdit 3.8.16253.2033
09-22-2016 16:24:15: OS: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
09-22-2016 16:24:15: Terraria Data Path: C:\Spel\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Terraria\Content
09-22-2016 16:24:15: Command Line Open: C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Terraria\Worlds\World1307-M1.wld
09-22-2016 16:24:15: Creating Undo cache: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\TEdit\undo_746321295
09-22-2016 16:24:31: Error - Index låg utanför intervallet. Det får inte vara negativt och måste vara mindre än mängdens storlek.
Parameternamn: index
vid System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
vid System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
vid TEditXna.View.WorldRenderXna.DrawSprites() i c:\projects\terraria-map-editor\TEditXna\View\WorldRenderXna.xaml.cs:rad 1432
vid TEditXna.View.WorldRenderXna.Render(GraphicsDeviceEventArgs e) i c:\projects\terraria-map-editor\TEditXna\View\WorldRenderXna.xaml.cs:rad 369
vid TEditXna.View.WorldRenderXna.xnaViewport_RenderXna(Object sender, GraphicsDeviceEventArgs e) i c:\projects\terraria-map-editor\TEditXna\View\WorldRenderXna.xaml.cs:rad 290
vid TEdit.UI.Xaml.XnaContentHost.GraphicsDeviceControl.CompositionTarget_Rendering(Object sender, EventArgs e) i c:\projects\terraria-map-editor\TEditXna\UI\Xaml\XnaContentHost\GraphicsDeviceControl.cs:rad 328
vid System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
vid System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
vid System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
vid MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
vid System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
vid MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
vid MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
vid MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
vid MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
vid System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
vid System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
vid TEditXna.App.Main() i c:\projects\terraria-map-editor\TEditXna\obj\Release\App.g.cs:rad 0

Yeah, I had a bit of a problem the other day. I was working on my Soccer Stadium and I just about finished it. I recently added a scoreboard and was going into Terraria to test it. But it wouldn't load the map. The file had come corrupt and failed to load the map. So some kind of error has broken it. `:cry:

Yeah, I had a bit of a problem the other day. I was working on my Soccer Stadium and I just about finished it. I recently added a scoreboard and was going into Terraria to test it. But it wouldn't load the map. The file had come corrupt and failed to load the map. So some kind of error has broken it. `:cry:
Ouch, that's rough. :(
Can you still load the map in TEdit? If so maybe it can be fixed.

Isn't there a way you could load the map backup in Terraria? I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
If there was, the backup map would be way back. It would still be like starting at the beginning.
Good thing this didn't happen to my Duck Hunt map, because that was a far more complex map and starting from the beginning for that one would be far worse.

If there was, the backup map would be way back. It would still be like starting at the beginning.
Good thing this didn't happen to my Duck Hunt map, because that was a far more complex map and starting from the beginning for that one would be far worse.

A new backup is made every time you enter and exit your map in Terraria. This is what I do after long edits just to make sure everything's alright and that if something happens, the backup won't be so far away.

Last time Terraria updated, it corrupted my save, but I was able to recover by doing a copy-all of the entire map and paste it into a world generated with Terraria. It hasn't corrupted again, but I'm still paranoid.

A new backup is made every time you enter and exit your map in Terraria.
I wouldn't rely on backups made by Terraria as it has a history of corrupting both the main save and the backup when things go bad. It's better to make your own backups, preferably on a different media than your harddrive.
Personally I make a backup by zipping the entire Terraria folder and then copy the resulting archive to a thumb drive. I keep several of those archives around just in case the most recent archive is also corrupted.

BTW @SovereignVis isn't there a .TEdit backup file? TEdit also makes a backup by default before editing a world.

Back
Top Bottom