Game Mechanics Terraraces - Adding races to Terraria I guess

Is this idea a Yes or a No?

• Total voters

COOKl

Skeletron Prime
That's right! It's me. The fluffy derpling is back at it again with the center-aligned text! This probably won't get as much traffic as my other stuff, but I don't really care as long as I can get people on it to balance it because I really don't know how to do balance right. Basically this is me planning on adding 10 or so new races to Terraria which can be chosen at the character creation screen. I may or may not implement this into a mod at one point, but if I did it would be literal coding hell. Anyways, without further ado,
Let us Begin!
(Beware of the multitude of spoiler tags)

Debuffs/Buff effects will be represented with colors, and so will the race names. If you help me with feedback (That I use) I will add you to a list at the bottom, giving you thanks.

Aeroleaf
(How many times do I have to tell you? This is not an automated wind turbine!)
Race for: the Jungle and Forest
Aeroleaves have two variants.
Flowering Variant: Has green skin which has a range of greens in between the forest green and the jungle’s green. Their eyes can be the color of any dye plant or potion plant, minus green. Flowers will grow on their shoulders, and will replace their hair while keeping the same shape as originally chosen. They will open up and bloom a bit during rain or storms, close up and dry out a bit during while in the desert, and will close up entirely during a sandstorm. Will wilt in the world evil. The flowers will be the same color as their eyes.
Wooden Variant: The character’s body will be brown, while the hands will be more of a leaf green. The colors represent palm, forest, mahogany, and boreal wood, each with their respective leaf colors. Their eyes will be the colors of their wood’s leaves. Their hair will be the same color as their eyes, with leaves on their shoulders and hands. The leaves will become dryer in the desert, and wilt in the world evil.
Clothes for both will be made out of plant fibers, and wears plant fiber sandals.
Aeroleaves are one with nature. They have a special link to the forest and jungle, siding with nature. This race is based around regeneration and plants, getting strength during the day, but losing some during the night. Will not explode into any blood-like substance when killed, but instead will drop petals/leaves on death.
You can alter the color of the eyes/flowers/leaf through any colors of the rainbow, except for really "green" greens. You cannot use grayscale colors. The hair style can be altered between existing ones. Skin tone can be selected, but must fall under the "wood" or "plant" styles of the Aeroleaf. The clothes will not have customizable colors, but will have customizable styles, each one similar to the already existing styles.
Photosynthesis: when standing still in an open source of light, life regen will increase. Will be stronger in sunlight, and weaker under torches. Does not work in the world evil or under dark light.

Rooted: Trees and plants will grow faster around you. You have a chance to grow grass, dye plants, and potion plants when walking on grass blocks, and you can grow grass on dirt. Doesn’t work in the world evil.

Transpiration: Increased life regen and damage reduction when the player is inflicted with wet. Both water and rain inflict wet, causing it to stay on you for 30 seconds after leaving water, and for 10 seconds after leaving the rain. Doing this during a blood moon or in the Crimson will instead inflict
(This will be inflicted instead of normal bleeding at any instance in this thread)
• Completely halts natural health regeneration.

• All other healing is reduced by 30%; getting hit furthers the reduction to 80%. The Nurse overrides this and removes the debuff.
The reduction will scale back to 30% in a similar fashion to how Mana regenerates from 0, though it should only take 7 seconds for the additional reduction to revert.

• Doubles the effects of Weak and Celled, but has a surprisingly beneficial reaction with Ichor.

• Halves the duration of Poisoned and Venom every second it's inflicted.

• Burning will cauterize the wound and stop the bleeding.
credit to @Bry-ccentric
Doing this in the corruption will give you a different debuff, Polluted, which has a 10% health reduction, stops all life regen stop all life regen, and deals dps equal to 3% of your current health for 15 seconds. If you enter water in the hallow, your health will be increased by 10%, but wet is inflicted for half of the regular time. Works in honey.
Note: These changes will not be inflicted upon entering the world evil or the hallow while wet. You will, however, still be inflicted with bleeding if you’re wet when a blood moon starts.

Nature’s Wrath: Used by pressing a set key, and has two variants. Both involve lashing out with thorny spikes, which will change depending on the player variant, being jungle thorns for the flowered variant, and roots for the wooden variant.
If used on the ground the player will root into the ground. The player closes their eyes as all limbs under their head merge into their body and the ground. Will spread out 20 blocks on each side, doing damage equal to
Strongest weapon in inventory's damage * 3, unless you have defeated more than three bosses, which changed the equation to the strongest weapon in inventory's damage * amount of bosses defeated, and has an equal crit chance to that of your held weapon. Has local immunity and very strong knockback.
Will shoot up 6 blocks out on each side, launching the enemy into the air.
If used in the air, the player closes their eyes as their arms and legs will turn into their respective spikes while multiple more spikes grow from inbetween the arms and legs, shooting outwards 10 blocks and dealing 30% increased damage. Will not shoot out above the player's head. Has a 60 second cooldown.
Capture.PNG
Angry dandelions will no longer attack you or deal contact damage, unless you hit them. Same goes with angry trappers, man eaters, snatchers, and the swamp thing. Plantera won't be quite as friendly.
plant gang!
Thorny: Thorns’ damage is twice as strong.

Natural: Dryad’s blessing will increase your defense by 20 instead of 8.

Bright: Happy will increase your movement speed by 50% instead of by 18%.

Nourished: Honey’s increased life regen is slightly stronger.

Immunity to venom and poison.
Flammable: On Fire!, Cursed Inferno, Frostburn, Shadowflame, and Burning deal twice as much dps.

Corruptible: Consistently loses regen (-.5% per second) and defense (-10 per minute). This cannot go negative, and will build back up outside of the world evil at a rate equal to the speed you lost it at. Will build up 25% slower at night, 1.5x as fast in the jungle at night, and twice as fast in the jungle.
Crimnaer
Race For: The Crimson
Crimnaer have skin colored similarly to the crimslime, or the face monster. Their hair is replaced with a substance similar to the one on face monster’s head. Their eyes are red or flesh-colored. Their arms are shaped like the crimea’s fangs, pointed at the end. This does not hinder their ability to use tools. While running, a blood trail will appear behind them, similar to the hellfire treads, but working in water. Their teeth are big and visible, but don't cover too much of the face.
Wears torn up clothes, without shoes
If you’re a fan of the crimson, then this would probably be the race for you. This race is a very bloody one, and utilizes Ichor in many of their attacks. This race is based around blood and gore, gaining strength in the crimson, but losing it in the hallow. When killed, will explode into much more blood than a usual terrarian, with some ichor mixed in.
The hair color cannot be customized, while the hair style can. The clothes can be any color, and have 10 styles based on the original 10 for terrarians. Skin color can be customized between a bunch of different red shades.
All crimson enemies are now friendly, but attacking them will cause you damage equal to 1/8th of what you dealt them. Damaging the BoC, however, won’t hurt you.

Hook: Shoots up to three hooks similar to the WoF’s tentacles which grab the three strongest enemies on screen and pull them towards you/. Their arms stretch out, impaling the enemy and dealing 3/4 of the damage that nature's wrath does (I am not writing that equation again). The third hook shoots from their mouth, and will deal DoT damage equal to 10% of the attack's dps while grabbed. Will be prioritized over the limbs if there are less than 3 enemies on screen, and grabs the strongest one. If a boss is alive, all three hooks will shoot at the boss and then retract, dealing damage but not pulling it towards you without inflicting the DoT damage. Will not grab crimson creatures. Has a 60 second cooldown after use.

You can house NPCs in the crimson.

All attacks have a 0.5% chance to lifesteal equal to half of your dealt damage. Unaffected by luck.

All stats are increased during a blood moon.
You are immune to bleeding.

Ichor will lower defense by 15 instead of 20.

Golden: all attacks have a 0.5% chance to inflict Ichor. Unaffected by luck
The crimson spreads twice as fast.

NPCs are 75% less likely to arrive at housing during the day. Unafffected by luck.

While in the hallow, your defense is halved.
More being worked on! (Hopefully)

Oh cool I remembered to color the text totally not the wrong color.
So! I guess I'm going for all types of feedback (I'm talking to you, Bame) to make this as balanced and as good as it can bee. Really let it all at me. I don't care if you're ruthless, as long as your feedback is good! You can also tell me what you think, or go into the poll to help me decide if I want to continue on this project!
This coloring was hard to do, and now I have a new appreciation for anyone who does this consistently.

Some feedback ideas: Balancing, Spelling errors, grammar errors, shortening things while still getting the point across, and names for the abilities. (I really need names)

Thanks for reading!

• 7/17/2020 Aeroleaves now wilt in the world evil instead of growing veins. Added a new section, "Customization", which will describes the character customization options you'll have with each race. Updated the color for Aeroleaves. Fixed multiple typos. Added the clothing look to Aeroleaves and Crimnaer. Added the Color Archive. Crimnaer have a more interesting look. Added the "Race For" part for the Crimnaer.
  • 6/18/2020 - Fixed some clarification in the damage equation.
  • 6/1/2020 - Added bleeding equation instead of forcing you to look at Bry's thread, did some basic rebalancing, added a drawn representation for "Nature's Wrath", and added "Feedback thanks" spoiler. Angry dandelions will now be friends with Aeroleaves, unless the Aeroleaf attacks it. Nature's Wrath damage equation tweaked. Plant Gang! Crimnaer no longer does extra damage with blood weapons. Random chance happenings are now unaffected by luck.
  • 5/24/2020 - Crimnaer added and damage equation added to Nature's Wrath.
  • 5/23/2020 - Thread posted and Aeroleaf added.
I'm too tired of losing the colors I have for each race, so I'm adding this so I remember.
Aeroleaf: #5be300
Crimnaer: #E25041
Wet: #2C82C9
Polluted: #9365B8
Bleeding: #B8312F
Thorns: #5c410a
Dryad's Blessing: #41A85F
Happy/Ichor: #FAC51C
Honey: #FBA026
Venom: #553982
Poison: #41a300
On Fire!/Burning: #F37934
Cursed Inferno: #00FF00
Shadowflame: #9200ed
Frostburn: #54ACD2

• Bry-ccentric. As Long As He Lasts.​

Last edited:
I thought you meant stone/custom-planters since that's entymlogically the definition of a terrace, ill be perfectly honest and say your idea thread confused me at first. Taking a bit of time to read it seems pretty good for its niche (such as what is a crimsoner meant to do in a corruption world pre-generation? that's quite a deviation of terraria playstyle but i dig the accessibility to play the bad-guys.)

If we're going along the lines of races with playstyle differences/racial buffs, why couldn't lizhard be a option or dwarf from the establshed game-universe?

what is a crimsoner meant to do in a corruption world pre-generation? that's quite a deviation of terraria playstyle but i dig the accessibility to play the bad-guys.
If this was added in player creation, then you could use crimson worlds, but that might have some problems with variety. Saying that you can get both world evils in a single world without needing to leave it, however, means that this won't really be a problem, except for pre hardmode.

If we're going along the lines of races with playstyle differences/racial buffs, why couldn't lizhard be a option or dwarf from the establshed game-universe?
I'm creating this as my own ideas for some races in terraria. I wouldn't really call them "races" however, because most of these are just terrarians except they make you play in a specific playstyle. I also probably won't be able to come up with good ideas for pre-existing things.

My train of thought keeps getting lost in all of my replies, dangit. I always say things that make no sense or aren't correct.

I wouldn't really call them "races" however, because most of these are just terrarians except they make you play in a specific playstyle.
I don't know if you can call these races, as I said before, but I'm elaborating more on why. They seem like races to me, but most of them are terrarians overtaken, like Aeroleaf being a terrarian overtaken by p l a n t t and crimnaer being a crimson terrarian. These are for a specific playstyle each, but it's more to give each playthrough more variety.

I also wish I could change the poll answers. They're not that great.

Also I'm randomly motivated so I hope to get some work into a whole new race today.

Back
Top Bottom