Terraria 1.3: My (mostly negative) experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your main problem here is that you think that your strategy should work against everything, and that once you pick a strategy you can't change it.

Your strategy works well when caving, that's good, a nice strategy for caving is really helpful. But your strategy doesn't work well against EoW or the king slime, solution? CHANGE YOUR STRATEGY. When playing in expert mode you should expect to have to adapt to whatever your fighting, so you can't kill EoW with your strategy, then go grab some spiky balls, make a decent platform arena, and go wreck him. I personally had a ton of trouble fighting the EoW before just today I figured out that spiky balls tear him to shreds. And ATM I'm working on a strategy to kill Skeletron.

Also, when fighting any boss in expert mode, put campfires, heart lanterns, sunflowers, stars in a bottle (if your using mana), and banners of any enemy types that spawn during the fight ALL around your arena, make it that you can't even step anywhere in your arena without having all those buffs. (Banners aren't as important but they are very helpful if enemys do spawn during the fight)

And also, not to copy everyone else, but if you can't manage to do well in expert mode then you should either suck it up and get better, or go play normal mode, don't ask the devs to make the game easier when you have the ability to do that yourself.

the same strategy applies to every boss, whether normal or expert: "stay calm"

boss ai is the same as before: the less you move, the less it moves; the less it moves, the easier it is to dodge and aim

I like to imagine Expert Mode was made to give players like you a big slap in the face and tell you that the strategy you're using is just a very small part of what Terraria provides. Surely you can use it in Normal Mode just fine, but, like others said, you have to expand your horizon in Expert Mode.

It's something I really learned to like when playing Expert Mode, as the strategic element in Terraria is highlighted more than the progressive. It's not about getting to the end while showing off your skill, but rather while improving your skill. And if you then move back to Normal Mode you can show off even more with all the new strategies and playstyles you learned.

boss ai is the same as before: the less you move, the less it moves; the less it moves, the easier it is to dodge and aim
I'm legitimently confused here. I may have this wrong, but I think you're saying I need to move LESS in order to move MORE? :conwayheadscratchohwaitthisisn'tsteamdarn:
Your main problem here is that you think that your strategy should work against everything, and that once you pick a strategy you can't change it.
Did I say that? I didn't mean to say that, that's for sure. Maybe I did by accident. Anyways, I've always just figured that if I can't do something the first time, grinding a bit for better gear and going back will certainly do the trick (worked for normal King Slime and normal Queen Bee), but that sure changed. I'm probably going to have to check the wiki for some good ranged gear right now, as that's what's most likely going to work.

I'm legitimently confused here. I may have this wrong, but I think you're saying I need to move LESS in order to move MORE?
not exactly

ranged bosses ai pattern(at least most of them) is almost always attempting to get directly above the player, and letting a little physics take control of their movements to achieve 'realism'. the more you move, the more the boss moves. if you stay mostly in the same area horizontally, the boss will move very little* and make it easier to dodge certain attacks and an easier time aiming

*not every boss simply hovers, that's especially true for expert mode. the first phase of the eye, for example, spends most of its time hovering. first phase of skeletron(or all of it during normal mode), too. the twins, and prime also do this. prime is actually easier if you never, ever move horizontally - but rather, moving vertically through a stack of platforms. the queen bees poison sting attack is easier to dodge if you slightly nudge left or right, rather than outright sprinting(her attack seems to try to lead you to some extent, so spurts of movement throw off her aim).

when you move around a lot during any of these examples, the bosses also move around a lot, typically ending with you getting hit directly, you dealing less overall dps, and run the risk of taking more damage than you can heal

That's a very interesting take on bossfights, I might try that.

But my experience with bosses is that the more you move the easier it is to dodge the boss because 1. If the boss is shooting at you while your moving most of the time it misses because it shoots directly at YOU, it doesn't lead, and a lot of the time that causes it to miss if your moving. 2. Your already at full speed, you don't have to build up your speed and thus it's easier to dodge. (I had a third point but I got distracted and now I can't remember it)

However I've never tried using your strategy so I can't really compare, I might try that next bossfight.

Man... so many people saying Expert mode is satanically hard and that it's pointless to even try, and so many people on the other end defending it saying it's just challenging and that you can't expect games to be easy asf.

which side to choose.... hmmm

Man... so many people saying Expert mode is satanically hard and that it's pointless to even try, and so many people on the other end defending it saying it's just challenging and that you can't expect games to be easy asf.

I thought it was Satanical for a little while, then I stopped thinking like it was my Minecraft Modpacks, and instead approached it like I do Monster Hunter. Rather than trying to Brute Force my way with whatever I liked, I started being tactical, setting the terrain, scouting positions, taking the advantageous ground, utilizing all of my skills in different ways, and found out Expert Mode is REDICULOUSLY fun. Gonna go fight My Rival in the first gear I approached him in, and say hello. Not my first Expert Mode gear, I'm talking approaching the Duke with Chlorophyte armor, a Mythical Inferno Fork, and a slew of buff potions. It's time, once again, to throw down the gauntlet, and fight 1v1 in our first test of who was better.

Honestly, I can't find a reason to play Expert mode since all the exclusive loot is fairly bad (including the demon heart; what good is an extra accessory slot if it's the only thing worth getting in Expert mode?) and it wasn't what I wanted or expected in the first place. I wanted smarter, slightly more powerful AI, and bosses with more unique attacks, but mostly smarter AI. For instance, fighter AIs that can get around basic obstacles, and that throw objects, like the zombies with longer arms and more damage. They were okay. Double health and damage for everything? No. It's not interesting to me if the main change is moar health and moar damage for enemies. This doesn't mean I don't like mobs with progressive health based on how far you get; that's fine, it keeps them more or less equal with the player. Double health immedately for all mobs though is very annoying.

The Eye's main new attack seemed to be incredibly increased speed. This, in my opinion, was okay. I like the better boss fights, mostly the ones with new behaviors, but it's overshadowed by all the little annoying things. I don't like increased respawn time. What the hell is the point of that, except to delay? If it's for multiplayer, why isn't it disabled in singleplayer? I'd be fine with the 75% money drop if it weren't for the fact that NPCs would then pick it up and frequently despawn somehow before I got it back. I'd be fine with 100% money drop if they didn't steal it immediately, but it's painful in a bad way the way it's implemented.

Though, I do disagree with you on the bit about your strategy. Having to change it based on the boss and the actions it takes is quite frankly a breath of fresh air, so long as you don't have to switch classes.

Of course, all of this is my opinion. It's all very opinionated. I'm just annoyed because Expert was for the most part exactly what I didn't want out of a 'harder' Terraria mode. I'll be on my way now.

I havent really tried expert mode yet i just now beat moonlord and it was the hardest thing i ever fought in my life...i had to find guides and a little bit of arena making + inventoy editor but not to cheat just to make the arena cause finding things will take forever when its scatterd all over the world.

I'll say this if not for expert mode I'd be bored considering that i beat the Mooonlord first try on normal. (different story on expert). And for the most part I agree that it kinda sucks when the strategy you've used since day one is no longer viable. That being said I've had this game since day one(and been lurking the forums about that long too) and out of 3 years of playing this game not once have i used a single magic item/item requiring mana. Heck not a single character I've ever played has a single mana star. Let me tell you something there was a time when the only "flight" accessory was rocket boots and that required mana. Then there was a time the magic mirror required mana too. (ill refer to that as the dark ages). All this is to say that I chose a play style and stuck too it. If you do the same you'll eventually find a way to make it work. As of right now i've beat every boss on expert mode without a single mana star. You can too.

neither, it's pretty much normal difficulty by standard

focuses heavily on Knockback, Tanking

Okay, here's where you have it all wrong.

The first quick point is knock-back. The only boss to suffer from knockback is the Brain of Cthulhu. The rest don't. So don't focus on knock-back for them.

The second is 'tanking'. This is a single-player game, you don't have to 'divert' the attention of anything. Why do you have to be capable of being near immobile and still survive at the same time? What skill is there in tanking and shooting? This game heavily relies on the player dodging for a lot of parts of the game, so everyone has to be able to do just that in order to progress (especially in Expert Mode). And, if you have a tanky set-up, what's stopping you from dodging? Your survivability will increase dramatically if you make it much harder for mobs to hit you, and at the same time losing little health when they do.

There is no 'jack-of-all-trades' class/types to follow in this game. You have to adapt your set-ups to be able to approach different situations adequately. If you're stuck on one type of set-up, then the problem isn't the game.

And I know Melee is in a very silly situation at the moment. Close-quarters-combat has been made nigh impossible by the expert mode bosses. But that is beside the point I have here.

Expert Mode is like Critical Mode/Proud Mode in the Kingdom Hearts games: You go in expecting an :red:-whooping. I tried it, failed miserably, and scurried back to the peace and quiet of Normal Mode. You win some, you lose some, they say.

I'll say this if not for expert mode I'd be bored considering that i beat the Mooonlord first try on normal. (different story on expert). And for the most part I agree that it kinda sucks when the strategy you've used since day one is no longer viable. That being said I've had this game since day one(and been lurking the forums about that long too) and out of 3 years of playing this game not once have i used a single magic item/item requiring mana. Heck not a single character I've ever played has a single mana star. Let me tell you something there was a time when the only "flight" accessory was rocket boots and that required mana. Then there was a time the magic mirror required mana too. (ill refer to that as the dark ages). All this is to say that I chose a play style and stuck too it. If you do the same you'll eventually find a way to make it work. As of right now i've beat every boss on expert mode without a single mana star. You can too.

I actually CAN'T beat anything without a Mana Star, because I play Mage/Summoner ;p

I've come so close to breaking down and getting mana just so i can summon stuff. Looks like a lot of fun but i've made my bed so i'll lie in it....for now :)
A lot of the summoner stuff gets pretty OP.

As-in, pre 1.3, Tempest Staff with the Tiki armor set and a summoner potion, and you could stand still and win a Pirate Invasion. (You do need the Papyrus Scarab and Pygmy Necklace as well, but those are really easy to get :s)

I'm debating if I want to take on the Magic or Summoning Pillar more, for extra sets of everything.

My style is the oddjob with random weps, I owned eoc with the minishark (thank god for beginning game coin portals), featherfall, and slime mount
I killed king slime with gurnades
I am havin trouble with BOC however
not as :red: kickin as I expected- I have been lucky with drops
I dont use the expert accessories much- they have no tinkers
everthin needs tinkers

not exactly

ranged bosses ai pattern(at least most of them) is almost always attempting to get directly above the player, and letting a little physics take control of their movements to achieve 'realism'. the more you move, the more the boss moves. if you stay mostly in the same area horizontally, the boss will move very little* and make it easier to dodge certain attacks and an easier time aiming

*not every boss simply hovers, that's especially true for expert mode. the first phase of the eye, for example, spends most of its time hovering. first phase of skeletron(or all of it during normal mode), too. the twins, and prime also do this. prime is actually easier if you never, ever move horizontally - but rather, moving vertically through a stack of platforms. the queen bees poison sting attack is easier to dodge if you slightly nudge left or right, rather than outright sprinting(her attack seems to try to lead you to some extent, so spurts of movement throw off her aim).

when you move around a lot during any of these examples, the bosses also move around a lot, typically ending with you getting hit directly, you dealing less overall dps, and run the risk of taking more damage than you can heal
Good luck trying that woth the eye, or any boss for that matter. That strategy will most likely kill you in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom