PC Terraria micro stutter

I believe I'm only running one.

winverpic.png

I uninstalled the framework I was using and installed that one. It was slightly different by having "refreshable" at the end of the name. Not sure what that meant exactly.

I believe the most up to date Windows is 1809. You can perform a Windows Update which may help resolve or mitigate the issue. Let me know if either of those helped.

Okay let's verify all hardware is running as it should. I want to check two things. 1. The temperature of your CPU/GPUI. 2. The efficiency of your CPU.

For the Temperature we're going to use a utility called HWMonitor. Run it then get me screenshot of the CPU section and the GPU section.

For the efficiency of the CPU we will be using PassMarks Benchmarking Suite. The 30 trial will server our purposes, you do not need to purchase the software. We will be running all the tests under the CPU section. Then get me the results.

Your temperatures look great, so does your efficiency. Gotta say, this is rather baffling.

Is Terraria the only one that has ever given you issues? Any games that run smooth as butter?

Haha yeah, I don't understand it myself, I don't get anything like what I'm experiencing in Terraria in any other game.

I wouldn't say all my games run the best ,but I believe that is probably just due to my processor not being great.

So, if you put it to the absolute lowest the game can go. I imagine you still stutter, correct? I just want to verify that.

First delete your config.json located in \Documents\My Games\Terraria then match your settings to mine.

Windowed.
Resolution: 800x600
Parallax: 0%
Frame Skip: Off
Lighting: Retro
Multicore Lighting: Off
Quality: Low
Background: Off
Blood and Gore: Off
Miners Wobble: Off
Storm Effects: Disabled
Heat Distortion: Disabled
Wave Quality: Off

If the Stutter goes away then we can slowly turn settings on and up one by one to find out which setting is causing the issue. If you still get Stutter on the lowest settings feel free to max the settings immediately all at once.

I apologize about all the testing and attempted fixes you've had to go through. I'm sure it has been a hassle.

Hey, you're fine. I appreciate you trying to help me in every way you can. I needed to know if something was wrong with my pc and due to all the tests I know that at least my hardware is running decently. I'll have to try the rest when I get home later.

Thank you, Grumpy Squid.

Yeah no problem, your hardware is running very decently actually, above average in your HDD, SSD, and the specific CPU. Your Comp has good bones.

Take your time, no rush.

I feel like we might finally be on to something. But then again I'm not sure how you would really fix this either.

So after I put it on the 800x600 resolution, I just went from spawn to the ocean and got only a couple stutters.

Then I tried it again at 1920x1080 resolution and it wasn't AS bad as it was, but it was almost the exact same.

I think the problem is just loading objects in general, because on the 800x600 resolution it ran much better, however certain random things still caused the issue. Like when I shot a jesters arrow, that caused it. Going over the Crimson/Corruption will almost always have at least one stutter somewhere. But not every enemy was doing it. So that's why I feel like we're getting closer to maybe finding the problem at hand.

Are you running in singleplayer or multiplayer? Is using the other merhod better or worse?

Are you using the Steam Cloud feature on your world? If so, does moving your world off of the cloud make it better or worse?

By the way, in your original post when you said you reinstalled your drivers, which drivers were those? Did it include your CPU drivers?

The problem exists in both single and multiplayer. I would say it's the same. My friends don't cause stutters when I'm away from them.

I've experimented with cloud on and off and there isn't really a noticeable difference.

The drivers I installed were graphics card drivers and audio drivers. I don't believe I updated the CPU driver.

Sorry, when I said CPU driver, I meant Chipset Driver. None the less, here are your Chipset Drivers for the 970 (the chipset your cpu runs on for your motherboard.) Apologies for that mistake, running on little sleep will do that to you.

What other things might fix this odd conundrum.... I suppose the last thing we should verify is that you RAM's real world performance reflects what it should be getting. Using the same software as before, run all tests under the Memory Mark section. I'll then compare it against global averages.

The other thing I should mention is doing some research I found several cases where users running the FX 8350 would stutter in Terraria, however, the combination of turning off multi-core lighting, messing with the CPU Affinity, and CPU Priority would fix it for them. Your case is unique in the sense that it refuses to respond to any solution we have attempted.

Another thing some users have claimed fix their issue was setting the monitors refresh rate to 60 Hz and turning off VSync in their GPU Manager.

Even further research shows that FX 8350 and stuttering in games is a very common issue. The solutions are extremely varied from game to game and user to user. Kind of a shame, but I wonder if 1.3.6 includes any under the hood optimizations that may help users like you.

Let me know if the chipset driver solves the issue, if not we'll take a look at your ram performance mentioned above.

Sorry, but could you run me through the website, it doesn't allow me to download directly from the link your provided.

Memorymark.png

Sure here is the link again. Expand the Windows 64 bit section and the one you want is at the top. AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.0830

Also, your RAM performed incredibly poorly. Especially in the Latency and Read areas. I would not be surprised if this was the issue. You may want to consider getting your RAM replaced. If it ends up not solving your issue you can always return it. (Depending on where you bought it from). Here is what I would try if I were you, should you choose to go this route.

When installing the RAM make sure you're matching the channels. Here is an image to demonstrate what I mean:

how-to-optimise-your-ram-slots.jpg

Alright I installed the chipset driver.

I'll look into getting some more sticks of RAM. I tried using Amazon's detect tool to see if it fits and it said it wasn't sure, so trial and error I suppose. No big deal.
I can always return it like you said.

I guess we've hit the wall with testing things, huh? Lol, everything is up to date at least.

Once I get new RAM, I'll update you on the results. Until then, thanks for all the help Grumpy Squid.

I already went ahead and made sure it fits for you. Thus why I recommended that one. Your motherboard only supports the DDR3 Desktop Standard, you were using 16GB of RAM before so these two sticks will replace the ones in your current motherboard.

If you have not replaced or installed RAM before let me know and I can get you some helpful guides.

No problem, if it helps fantastic. If it doesn't then I apologize, I'm pretty sure we got it figured out though.

Everything else came back fine in our tests. (The HDD Random Access was a bit questionable but we ruled it out by installing it on the SSD). The RAM performance test is the only thing that came back abysmal and does explain why you lag on loading or recalling assets.

Keep me updated and, Good luck!

Sorry for the necro, I played Terraria for maybe 2000 hours, and never had this issue. The last time I played was 2017-ish? Tried to play it this week, and I have this issue now.

Clean install D: drive steam
Windows 10 pro
2018 M17R4 Alienware Laptop top top top end all the boxes checked $$$ computer i77820HK, 1920x1080 (not native because it's only 17" and the native is like 4x that, too tiny),
GTX 1080
32gig top ram
running 64bit tmodloader.
It got worse when I added enemy prefixes mod, happens mostly on monster spawn (got a radar to confirm that). I removed all the mods and had the same issue, tried all the settings as described above, no dice. The computer runs like 40C on this game, doesn't even raise the fans. This game is nothing to my rig, and my old rig, an M17R2 ran it great with calamity mod etc. When I ran it 4/24/2019 with this same computer it was fine.

Sorry I'm not going to be much help beyond that and I won't be checking this because I've played terraria forever but I don't *need* to play it.

Yeah I get this now and then too, I'm not sure whats going on since I've only IMPROVED my computer since I last played...

Back
Top Bottom