Mobile Terraria Mobile Bugs & Issues Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. So it seems my circumstance isn't exclusive to the regular cavern layer mobs ability to spawn. It will work with whatever alternate biome you choose. So long as mobs from a different biome other than hallowed also have the possibility to spawn, chaos elementals will spawn offscreen. Just construct your farm in a way that hallowed mobs will spawn offscreen, but make sure than not ONLY hallowed mobs can spawn.

Because spawning seems kinda strange right now with mobs being able to spawn within the minimum distance from the player, I'd make a platform out of blocks from whatever other biome besides hallowed you prefer, then clear out flat space on the sides made of pearlstone. This will let mobs from the biome blocks you're standing on spawn, but also allow hallowed mobs to spawn on the offscreen flat surfaces on the sides.

You will get chaos elementals.

You can pick whatever biome you want to depending on what else you're after (key molds come to mind). Just remember that hallowed key molds are exclusive to crimson and corruption.

Example, make a platform out of lizahrd bricks, flatten out the sides that extend offscreen and make them out of pearlstone, put a large square of ice blocks above you, place a water candle on a table where you're stading and chug a battle potion. You can farm Rod of Discord, Rainbow Rod, Soul of Light, Frost Key Mold, Hallowed Key Mold, and Jungle Key Mold at the same time. Once you have the hallowed drops you want, replace the pearlstone with red and purple ice. Then you can farm soul of light, soul of night, ichor, crimson key mold, corruption key mold, frost key mold, and jungle key mold at the same time.

Last edited:
So that's the chaos elemental mystery solved... anyone got any ideas on how ice tortoise spawn?:D

Since I already got a rainbow rod, 2 RoD, and have had three jungle key molds, I just tried replacing all of the pearlstone in my farm with purple ice. I only had one battle potion on me. chugged it and stood next to a water candle. I killed easily 30 ice tortoises. Not sure what your issue is with getting them to spawn. They spawn just fine. In like 5 minutes I had a frost bow, frost flower, frost staff, frost key mold, 6 cyan husks, and like 120 soul of night (no ice shells :( ) Lots of random other accessories that I junked (trifold maps, etc). Gonna put some red ice in there and see if I can't get some more crimson and corruption keys.

really all you need to do is clear out a big space in the cavern layer and then put whatever biome blocks you choose in it.

Interesting note about chaos elementals. Turns out they don't even need to spawn on hallowed biome blocks.

When I constructed my farm, I filled in alot of the caves underneath it with pearlstone because that's what I had alot of. When I replaced the floor with purple ice to allow corruption and ice biome mobs to spawn, there was still enough pearlstone close enough to me to allow hallowed mob spawns if I stood all the way to the the left of the farm (this is where the most pearlstone was, and this means that in this particular location there was more pearlstone than purple ice since corruption and hallowed cancel). When I stood here, chaos elementals would still spawn off screen and come towards me even though the offscreen spawning surface was NOT hallowed. So, it turns out the requirements for chaos elemental spawn are almost what I said before, except they can spawn on any biome block offscreen, not just hallowed. Kind of a nice benefit that happened accidentally, because I can now farm anything I want to in my farm without having to remove anything, since I can get the hallowed drops and the corruption / crimson drops by simply adjusting where I'm standing.

TL;DR, all you need for chaos elementals to spawn is enough hallowed blocks close enough to you, but also enough blocks of a different biome to allow spawning of both hallowed mobs and a different biome. The offscreen spawning surface doesn't have to be pearlstone / any other hallowed block.

I think I can make a functional cavern layer farm that will allow me to farm drops from every single biome at the same time.

Last edited:
Since I already got a rainbow rod, 2 RoD, and have had three jungle key molds, I just tried replacing all of the pearlstone in my farm with purple ice. I only had one battle potion on me. chugged it and stood next to a water candle. I killed easily 30 ice tortoises. Not sure what your issue is with getting them to spawn. They spawn just fine. In like 5 minutes I had a frost bow, frost flower, frost staff, frost key mold, 6 cyan husks, and like 120 soul of night (no ice shells :( ) Lots of random other accessories that I junked (trifold maps, etc). Gonna put some red ice in there and see if I can't get some more crimson and corruption keys.

really all you need to do is clear out a big space in the cavern layer and then put whatever biome blocks you choose in it.

Interesting note about chaos elementals. Turns out they don't even need to spawn on hallowed biome blocks.

When I constructed my farm, I filled in alot of the caves underneath it with pearlstone because that's what I had alot of. When I replaced the floor with purple ice to allow corruption and ice biome mobs to spawn, there was still enough pearlstone close enough to me to allow hallowed mob spawns if I stood all the way to the the left of the farm (this is where the most pearlstone was, and this means that in this particular location there was more pearlstone than purple ice since corruption and hallowed cancel). When I stood here, chaos elementals would still spawn off screen and come towards me even though the offscreen spawning surface was NOT hallowed. So, it turns out the requirements for chaos elemental spawn are almost what I said before, except they can spawn on any biome block offscreen, not just hallowed. Kind of a nice benefit that happened accidentally, because I can now farm anything I want to in my farm without having to remove anything, since I can get the hallowed drops and the corruption / crimson drops by simply adjusting where I'm standing.

TL;DR, all you need for chaos elementals to spawn is enough hallowed blocks close enough to you, but also enough blocks of a different biome to allow spawning of both hallowed mobs and a different biome. The offscreen spawning surface doesn't have to be pearlstone / any other hallowed block.

I think I can make a functional cavern layer farm that will allow me to farm drops from every single biome at the same time.
Ice tortoises sometimes spawn great for me but then if I move to an apparently similar part of the ice biome they stop. Where I have a farm, all I get are tonic sludges, possessed armor, very rarely snow flinxes , and surprisingly commonly ice mimics. Not a single ice tortoise. It seems they and armoured Vikings have similar spawning 'rules' to chaos elementals- need to be near edge of biome etc.

Last edited:
@Loki still no reply from 505? The "what happened to gp update" question

Nope. They may not be back from xmas/holiday yet. Though we may never truly take a break as a small team, larger companies tend to have "holiday closures" by way of policy. Rest assured that I will stay on top of the questions that I raise - as I always do. ;)

Hey loki, would you have any idea as to when to expect the GP update (to stop me checking the store every 2 hours;))

No, afraid not. That is on the list of questions that I raised the other evening with them.

Also, any feedback on when update to resolve the trial -> paid would be awesome! We can't wait to get back in and rock this awesome game!

That sucks that you guys aren't able to play right now. Trying to get an update for everyone across the board just as soon as 505 ramps back up. Hang in there. :(

Loki do you know how I fix a corrupt world. I can access my character but every time I go into my main world the game crashes:(

Loki do you know how I fix a corrupt world. I can access my character but every time I go into my main world the game crashes:(

If it is truly corrupted then no.

If it's some other error then I would hold onto it and wait for the bug fixes to see if that resolves the issue.

If it were me I would hold off assuming it was corrupted until after all of the fixes are in and just play my old character on a new world and farm for materials and gear....

I'm not a techie or coder though....so others may be smarter than I here. ;)

Ok now I am super confused.. What I thought made sense about chaos elementals doesnt work. I buried a bunch of pearlstone in a large square in the cavern layer. Then I made a long flat surface out of ash blocks that extends offscreen in both directions.

When I stand above the pearlstone, ONLY hallowed mobs will spawn, but not chaos elementals. When I walk to either side, I get skeletal archers and hallowed mobs but also again no chaos elementals. This doesn't make any sense at all. Other types of mobs should be able to spawn offscreen instead of just hallowed bats and slimes. wtf.

Ok now I am super confused.. What I thought made sense about chaos elementals doesnt work. I buried a bunch of pearlstone in a large square in the cavern layer. Then I made a long flat surface out of ash blocks that extends offscreen in both directions.

When I stand above the pearlstone, ONLY hallowed mobs will spawn, but not chaos elementals. When I walk to either side, I get skeletal archers and hallowed mobs but also again no chaos elementals. This doesn't make any sense at all. Other types of mobs should be able to spawn offscreen instead of just hallowed bats and slimes. wtf.
They only spawn in large hallow caves.

They only spawn in large hallow caves.

Even if this is correct, it doesn't explain why no other mob types will spawn while I'm standing above pearlstone. There are plenty of other available biome blocks to allow spawning of more than just hallowed mobs.

No matter. I don't really have a use for farming chaos elementals anymore other than to figure out exactly what's needed to spawn them. Regarding only spawning in large hallow caves, my two RoDs say otherwise.

Seeing it here, ofc it's a bug- was a bit puzzled by the silver chandeliers dropped by the hammer. Is my corrupting spawning exactly in the hardmode location of the underground hallow (eg now i have no corruption) also a bug or just bad luck? Black fangs not dropping is annoying...

If it is truly corrupted then no.

If it's some other error then I would hold onto it and wait for the bug fixes to see if that resolves the issue.

If it were me I would hold off assuming it was corrupted until after all of the fixes are in and just play my old character on a new world and farm for materials and gear....

I'm not a techie or coder though....so others may be smarter than I here. ;)
Does "some other error" include the load,crash bug? Cuz I RLY don't want to delete my world full of all the items I have/had.

Alright. So here's my conclusion about chaos elementals. The amount of hallowed blocks on your screen matters, but not how you think it would. You don't want to have hallowed biome blocks on your screen. At all. If you do, then you need to have enough blocks from a different biome to also allow spawning of non-hallowed mobs, along with an offscreen hallowed spawning surface. If you have enough hallowed blocks on your screen so that the game thinks you're in a hallowed biome, Chaos elementals will not spawn. In fact, you want to make sure you aren't in a hallowed biome. The only thing that matters is a hallowed surface for them to spawn on offscreen. The reason why the pics of other peoples farms work is because they also have crimstone blocks. What's happening is that the game determines that you're in a crimson biome, and any chaos elementals that are spawning are doing so on a pearlstone surface that is offscreen. If you have too many pearlstone blocks on your screen, you will only get slimes and bats. So, what I mentioned before about needing to have mobs from other biomes have the ability to spawn is true.

See the screen shots. There are NO pearlstone or any other hallowed blocks on my screen. There is a small stretch of pearlstone blocks just off my screen. Boom Chaos elementals. Not only that, Chaos elementals are the only hallowed mob I'm seeing with this. Which makes sense because there's not enough hallowed biome blocks for the game to determine I'm in the hallowed. Chaos Elementals don't care about that. lol.

What's really great about this is that you can actually farm any biome you want to and also have chaos elementals coming because the cancelling out of hallowed from crimson or corruption doesn't even matter.

When I stand on the right side where the purple ice blocks are, not only do I get ice tortoises, armored vikings, mermen, and all underground corruption mobs, I also get chaos elementals because they are spawning on the same offscreen pearlstone surface.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-30-12-35-51.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-30-12-35-51.png
    639.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot_2015-12-30-12-36-05.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-30-12-36-05.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Is there going to be an update any time soon

Wow, even with Loki giving us info on the update, still got people asking about it. It's not coming this week due to the holidays. Wait until next year. (AKA a few days.) I know it sucks to wait but it's not the end of the world lol. Hang in there a bit longer!

And if you are too lazy to read the thread and see if your issue has been reported, then either at least read the first post, which is constantly updated, or don't post at all if you are that lazy. It's not hard to read one post ya know...

I've had him spawn, only once though, but that's pretty near normal rates.

A lot of people have been talking about specific enemies with broken AIs. I'm pretty sure that the broken AI is the entire fighter class. By 'broken' I mean they go in one direction constantly until they reach something they can't pass (eg a big wall) at which point they change direction and constantly move the other way. Haven't seen a fighter AI enemy that hasn't done this yet.

I reported a bug about herplings dropping nazars a few pages back, and concluded they must have replaced meat grinders in the Crimson enemies loot table. I have some new details on that bug. First, I got a few meat grinders (the tool, not the crafting station, but that's a known bug :happy:) . That left me thinking that they must have replaced the mold in the table. But I got that aswell. So I really have no idea what the nazar is doing dropping from floaty gross, herplings and crimslimes. I have now got 10-15 nazars, and interestingly, none have reforges. So 505, not really critical, but could you figure out what's going on here? Because I'm stumped.
Herplings don't drop nazars, floaty grosses do. Also that AI bug, it quite weird. Paladin never seems to attack you.

Herplings don't drop nazars, floaty grosses do. Also that AI bug, it quite weird. Paladin never seems to attack you.
Yes floaty grosses do, but trust me, herplings DEFINITELY do. I've had 6-8 from them alone, and one or two from crimslimes also.
Alright. So here's my conclusion about chaos elementals. The amount of hallowed blocks on your screen matters, but not how you think it would. You don't want to have hallowed biome blocks on your screen. At all. If you do, then you need to have enough blocks from a different biome to also allow spawning of non-hallowed mobs, along with an offscreen hallowed spawning surface. If you have enough hallowed blocks on your screen so that the game thinks you're in a hallowed biome, Chaos elementals will not spawn. In fact, you want to make sure you aren't in a hallowed biome. The only thing that matters is a hallowed surface for them to spawn on offscreen. The reason why the pics of other peoples farms work is because they also have crimstone blocks. What's happening is that the game determines that you're in a crimson biome, and any chaos elementals that are spawning are doing so on a pearlstone surface that is offscreen. If you have too many pearlstone blocks on your screen, you will only get slimes and bats. So, what I mentioned before about needing to have mobs from other biomes have the ability to spawn is true.

See the screen shots. There are NO pearlstone or any other hallowed blocks on my screen. There is a small stretch of pearlstone blocks just off my screen. Boom Chaos elementals. Not only that, Chaos elementals are the only hallowed mob I'm seeing with this.

What's really great about this is that you can actually farm any biome you want to and also have chaos elementals coming because the cancelling out of hallowed from crimson or corruption doesn't even matter.

When I stand on the right side where the purple ice blocks are, not only do I get ice tortoises, armored vikings, mermen, and all underground corruption mobs, I also get chaos elementals because they are spawning on the same offscreen pearlstone surface.
And there we have it, the prize for the most bizarre enemy in history.

Thank you very much for all the research you've done into this. Lot of drops I haven't got and assumed impossible that you have shown are possible. Again, great work. :)

Floating island lakes don't appear in my world so it's impossible to do one of the anglers quests without making an artificial floating island lake.

Last edited:
Floating island lakes don't appear in my world so it's impossible to do one of the anglers quests without making an artificial floating island lake.
Do they exist on PC? I just created an artificial one also, I assumed that's what they expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom