Terraria: Otherworld Terraria Otherworld: Bringing You Up to Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I'm not crazy, you're taking player questions, and to a degree, player feedback. To me, that's already a great sign, because it shows you're keeping on top of what your playerbase wants, and I think in most games, the best direction is somewhere between what the devs think is best and what the players think is best.

First of all, the game looks great. The new art style is gorgeous (reminds me a lot of the Vanillaware aesthetic), the new hook mechanics are awesome, and the automatic inventory sorting looks like a huge step up. That said, if I could ask for just one thing, it'd be this: Please, for the love of god, bring back the dash mechanic.

Seriously, this has to be the foremost reason that expert mode is so much more engaging to me. This type of maneuver is a staple of 2D platformers going back 30 years now, and I don't think anyone will argue that it's nothing but positive for the experience in the original Terraria. It's so simple, so straightforward, yet it adds so much depth to boss strategy. One thing I find really cool about Terraria in its current state is that the people like me, who grew up playing the hell out of games like Mega Man and Castlevania, can stack up on accessories that boost mobility (balloon bundle, frog leg, ninja gear, etc.) and try to take the technical approach to beating bosses, but the people who aren't so crazy about that type of gameplay can always just tank up for a less frantic approach to progressing through the game. The fact that the game caters to you whether you're trying to push the engine as far as it can be pushed in combat, or you just want to put your feet up and build stuff, is why I think it's a good game in the first place. It's the reason I've logged so many hours in it, while I could never get into Minecraft. What you're doing with hooks is already a step in this direction, so that's awesome. If Otherworld has some sort of dash option available relatively early on, like Terraria does currently (whether it's a core mechanic, or a component of your boots, or whatever it may be), I'll be smitten, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Also, this is very, very minor, but I noticed there were no vanity slots for accessories in the early screenshots of the inventory screen. I realize these are just alpha and pre-alpha screens here, so it's far from final, but I really hope this changes in the final version. I think most people will agree that being able to play with vanity accessories to put the finishing touches on your aesthetic is awesome. This is far from a dealbreaker, of course, just something I think we'd all like to see as a returning feature.

All in all, keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this whenever it drops.

Of Topic: I just created a account to be on this page and to get notifications
On Topic: My favorite mechanic of the Terraria was the bosses and the creativity, i would really like New bosses and more, like a Kraken, or a Giant mecha :)

Do you mean terraria or Otherworld? I know in Terraria the evil only changes one ore (crim to demon) others are just chance. I'd expect OW to be the same but it might not be...
I mean normal Terraria.

Last edited:
I'm doing a playthrough right now in the Corruption right now and I have a platinum world also my first world in PC is Crimson and I have platinum in that world so the evil does not determine the ores.
What do you mean?
I meant that the obsidian could be lead, regardless of the evil

I'm not sure if you've answered this-- you probably have-- but I'd like to know something; will there be support for the Steam Workshop/mods, or is it going to be similar to Terraria in its modding?

I don't know if anyone has asked this before, but how does the game "handle" compared to the original Terraria? What I mean by this, to give an example, is the game similar to original Terraria(character sprite, controls, how your sprite looks when you move, performs actions etc.) or something like Starbound(if you've seen or played Starbound, how your player character moves and performs actions)? Is it more dynamic or static comparatively?

The reason I'm asking this, is because based on the screenshots, the character looks a lot more dynamic with their movements and actions. I'm personally not that big of a fan of how the character looks, feels, and acts in Starbound, which is why I want to know if the way the game feels is leaning more towards Starbound(in the sense of how the game handles) or if it's going to stick to its roots and have the same Terraria feel.

Hopefully you understand what exactly I'm getting at. It's hard to put exactly into words what I'm asking.

I agree that the characters look more 'real' in the screenshots and the items seem to be more detailed or at least, drawn with more 'depth' but I don't think it's any less Terraria for it.

I can't compare to Starbound because I've never got the game to run.

Just a thought; I wondr if the turrets must be placed on top of a surface; if you could place them on the walls or upsidedown then that could be fun...

I don't know if anyone has asked this before, but how does the game "handle" compared to the original Terraria? What I mean by this, to give an example, is the game similar to original Terraria(character sprite, controls, how your sprite looks when you move, performs actions etc.) or something like Starbound(if you've seen or played Starbound, how your player character moves and performs actions)? Is it more dynamic or static comparatively?

personally I believe they are probably sticking to the terraria "feel" of the game as much as possible based on previous screenshots and gifs, that might have been one of the things that needed a "rework" as such, maybe it didnt feel terraria enough to satisfy the relogic team

As I mentioned earlier, it does appear that characters are made out of separate sprites for each body part. (Take a close look at the nurse, her arms and legs are "blury" while her head and chest are not.) So it looks like there's going to be a new animation system for NPCs at least, and almost certainly for the player as well, though It's not quite as obvious in the screenshot. That could be a significant difference. But I can definitely see advantages to doing it that way, so I'll reserve judgment on whether that was a good idea until I see more.

Я, конечно, понимаю, что ре-логик трудятся во всех направлениях и что другой мир будет пользоваться популярностью... Но я лично не жду его выхода. Мне необходимы лишь новые обновления на старую добрую Террарию...

Я, конечно, понимаю, что ре-логик трудятся во всех направлениях и что другой мир будет пользоваться популярностью... Но я лично не жду его выхода. Мне необходимы лишь новые обновления на старую добрую Террарию...

From google translate; Of course, I understand that the logic of (Relogic) work in all directions and that the other world will be popular ... But I personally do not wait for its release . I needed a new update on the good old terrarium ...

News on Otherworld or Terraria itself would be welcome; more interrested in Otberworld myself, though.

From google translate; Of course, I understand that the logic of (Relogic) work in all directions and that the other world will be popular ... But I personally do not wait for its release . I needed a new update on the good old terrarium ...

News on Otherworld or Terraria itself would be welcome; more interrested in Otberworld myself, though.

How convenient that an update has been stated to be in the works for Terraria! ;)

I am very exited for this game but, as many other people are probably thinking:
Are you still going to be updating the first Terraria because i think it looks really cool, but sometimes things like terraria otherworld could after a while, get too realistic for people like me! and if you dont ill be like this: `:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:`:cry:

Last edited:
Good day, Terrarians!

We hope that everyone has had an amazing time with the most recent updates across the board. On our end, we just finished our first official Re-Logic in-person meeting and we are more excited than ever for the future of Terraria and our company!

On that front, we would like to give each of you a long-overdue update on a project that so many of you have asked about over the past several months - Terraria: Otherworld.

When last we checked in on Otherworld, we let everyone know that the project was not ready, that we weren't going to sacrifice our standards for deadlines, and shared some sweet spoilers of the Crimson biome. Since then, we have been mostly quiet on the project. That silence ends today - we are going to share what's going on, why, and where we are heading.

kdcROYP.png

So, what happened?
To keep it short and simple, at the beginning of this year, we undertook a full in-depth review of the project versus our standards, expectations, and vision for the game. It was pretty clear to us at the time that Otherworld needed quite a bit of work - and even a good bit of rework - in a number of areas in order to hit that mark.

We then spent some time in detailed discussion among ourselves and also with Engine Software in regards to how best to get things to where they need to be. We then made a list of requested reforms and changes and such. As a part of this, the project team at Engine now has a new lead designer and art lead along with other changes made to better align to our vision for the game. On top of that, our two teams have laid out clearly what needs to be done and are pushing forward executing towards that roadmap to deliver the game we expect - and our fans deserve - as soon as possible.

Of course, we have to stress that our philosophy of the game being ready "when it's ready" will not be compromised here. We feel it's our promise to each of you and we will stick to it.

divider.png

Where do things stand?
We are reworking a number of elements to bring more "Terraria-ness" to Otherworld as well as to really make the things that make the game different stand out in fun and engaging ways.

Want an example? Well, we felt the dynamics of the purity vs corruption did not feel "big" or "dangerous" enough....so that has been aesthetically redone (as just one small piece of that revamp) - check out the below for a taste (as well as few other new aesthetic touches):

We have also been focusing on revamping other biomes - to make them feel more diverse and deep - as well as putting a lot of work into the Weapon Leveling system:

Other examples of ongoing work include across-the-board tweaks to armors and gear, a complete overhaul of the AI (especially around making the tower defense elements deep and challenging), fleshing out the story, and much, much more.

divider.png

So, what's next?
We will work hand in hand with Engine to keep up the momentum on the work and rework in the weeks and months to come. We are confident in this new approach - but rest assured that we will remain closely involved and will make sure that Terraria: Otherworld gets finished in a way that will be worthy of the Terraria name.

We don't have a date to give you - our focus is on getting the game done right first and foremost. That said, expect it to be a while still - there is a lot of work to get done and done right. As we know more, we will share it - so expect a return of spoilers (though maybe not every few days as before ;) ).

kdcROYP.png

Again, our apologies for the really long radio silence here - but we wanted to be sure that we had things squared away and a plan in place before we shared it with you. We are sure you will have tons of questions - so fire away!

Thanks as always for your massive support of our company and games - it's because of that and you that we continue to strive to develop exciting new games and fresh content. We look forward to delivering on that with Terraria: Otherworld!
i cant wait untill terraria otherworld comes out,im so excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom